Divisional Playoff Round

Leader

AcmePacking:

Colts vs. Chiefs

The Saturday afternoon game is an interesting one — both teams have effective offenses led by a great quarterback, one great receiver, and a good or great tight end. However, Indianapolis has an emergent defense, while the Chiefs...well, they just prefer to outscore everyone.

The last postseason meeting between these two teams ended in heartbreak for Kansas City, who jumped out to a 38-10 lead but gave it away to lose 45-44. The thing is, the Chiefs’ offense is so dominant that they still finished tops in the NFL in DVOA despite being 26th on defense (their second-ranked special teams helped too, though). We think that’s too much for the Colts to overcome, though the margin here is a bit inflated as many of the 12 writers who picked KC expressed some reservations about their pick.

APC pick: Chiefs

Cowboys vs. Rams

The Rams are basically the Chiefs, with a less-explosive passing offense and a more respectable defense against both the run and pass. Still, they can run up the score on just about anybody.

This game being at the Coliseum clinched the picks for most of APC. The Cowboys’ home/road splits are stark this year: Dallas has scored more than 22 points on the road just twice all year, and more than 30 just once (in week 17 against a hapless Giants team). The Rams, meanwhile, were held under 30 at home twice, by the Eagles in week 15 and the Packers (!!!!) in week eight.

APC pick: Rams

Chargers vs. Patriots

Home-field be damned, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady be damned, Philip Rivers’ teams being 0-7 against the Patriots be damned. We’re picking the Chargers because, in short, they’re a better team than the Pats this year.

They had a better record (12-4) than the 11-5 Pats. Rivers’ numbers are better than Brady’s. Melvin Gordon is really, really good (remember when there were questions about him as a receiver coming out of Wisconsin?). And it’s fun to watch big ol’ Antonio Gates rumble down the field with the ball in his hands.

APC pick: Chargers

Eagles vs. Saints

New Orleans won the first meeting between these two teams this season 48-7. Sure, Nick Foles is on the playoff war path again, but this isn’t last year’s Eagles defense — and they would need it to be to have any real chance of slowing down the Saints once their starters shake off the rust from their two-week layoff.

We’re picking New Orleans this week, and we don’t think it will be particularly close.

APC pick: Saints

Rapoport: Chiefs WR Sammy Watkins (foot) is listed as questionable, but he should make his return to the field today vs. Colts, source said.

The Chiefs put alot of cash down on a player with a bad wheel (or wheels) who played in 10 games - got them 40 receptions, 519 yards & 3 TDS this year.

On 1/7/2019 at 4:35 PM, Outpost31 said:

I have to root against the Colts and I don't like that.  Always liked Luck.  I don't think the Chiefs will win anyway.  They scream one and done to me.

Clearly not the same team since losing the woman beater. The Colts are an amazing story. Their offensive line beats the hell out of people. Their defense is much more physical than they've been in years. 

Not sure what to think of this deal today because of the snow they are expecting. Will that slow down or halt the passing game? 

I like the Colts in this game because I "THINK" they are the better team right now.

I think the Chargers are going to roll the Patriots tomorrow, just a hunch. 

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Clearly not the same team since losing the woman beater. The Colts are an amazing story. Their offensive line beats the hell out of people. Their defense is much more physical than they've been in years. 

Not sure what to think of this deal today because of the snow they are expecting. Will that slow down or halt the passing game? 

I like the Colts in this game because I "THINK" they are the better team right now.

I think the Chargers are going to roll the Patriots tomorrow, just a hunch. 

In INDYs OL can shut down the KC front 4 like they did against a superior CHI DL - Luck's got a good shot at getting them points.
Problems gonna be can the INDY D shut down the KC offense.

I wonder about the back to back road trips from SD to BALT and now NE. Thats alot of mileage but think SD the better/stronger squad.

Archived