The Gnat

NFL Draft - Team Needs

Jags

1) qb. Your cant win without a good 1.

2) oline. Outside of am Robinson and Brandon Linder theres no other guys who play worth anything. AJ cann has been awful at rg. Parnell is overpaid for what he brings. Id like to draft a new rt and cut him.

3) pass rush. Outside of Ngakoue we dont have a good outside pass rusher.  Fowler showed some improvement this offseason but hes been a menace off the field. campbell might be playing on the edge but he clearly looked out of place as that instead of an interior pass rusher. 

4) cb. Our number 3 corner is a free agent and we dont have great choices on the roster to replace him. 

5) te. While at 1st glance its a big need but our tes dont seem to be feature guys so we might be able to get away without 1. 

Raiders needs  - OT CB NT Edge S LS DE / WR QB ILB

OT -

We just signed Penn to a 2 year extension but the details haven't hit the wire yet and I'm willing to bet that Reggie McKenzie built the deal so the team could walk away with little dead money owed if we decide we can live without him or we need that money with Mack and Cooper's deal on the horizon. Behind Penn we have the affordable for a reason Newhouse and 3 first or second year players (Alexander, Sharpe and Ware). Sure, we hope one of these guys develops and we don't need to spend a high pick on the position but that may be the best option in a league where you need you QB healthy.

CB -

Last year we spent a 1st round pick on Conley and he looks like the real deal from early showings. Then we have our 2 incumbent starters, Amerson and Smith. Both have played well for the most part and been paid for the service. Amerson is just 25 and looks like a main stay but Smith has had a few issues with the law and age questions that put him on the bubble. Both have deal we can walk away from after this year but I would only expect Smith to be in jeopardy. TJ Carrie has been our jack of all trades in the secondary and really is underrated. He is also an UFA. He'll get some offers and I'm 85% sure we'll let him take that money because it will be more than we're willing to spend. So with Carrie and Smith possibly on the way out, investing in a CB would seem important.

NT -

We have 1 real NT on the roster and he is set to be a UFA. Justin Ellis was a 4th rd pick in 2014 that we have developed and are just starting to enjoy the fruits of that investment. I am 50/50 on whether we'll offer him enough to stay. If not then we'll be in the market.

Edge -

Mack and Irvin are our set starters for atleast another 2 years IMO but behind them we are pretty thin. With how important the position is and the fact that we only have UDFA James Cowser as a real backup to them in our base defensive sets, I would think that is high on our list of things to upgrade. We have tried with drafting Max Valles and Shilique Calhoun but both are still developing on the practice squad. If the opportunity arises an upgrade is in the cards.

Safety -

We have invested alot in the position over the last 2 years. We signed Reggie Nelson last year coming off a Pro Bowl in 2015 and he made a Pro Bowl again in 2016. But he is 33 and on the last year of his deal. He is still playing at a high level and him signing a team friendly deal isn't out of the question because of how important he has been to the team and his market value. But FA is funny and weirder thing have happened than a 34 yo safety getting a nice deal after 2 years of decent to good production. We have also drafted Karl Joesph, Obi Melifonwu and Shalom Luani in the past 2 years and all seem like guys that will be around for awhile. But if we lose Nelson and roster hanger oner Keith McGill both leave that is 3 guys at at the position with Joesph being the only so far to see major defensive snaps. It's a lower need but still on the board.

LS -

Jon Condo is the epitome of a Raider. He is also 36 and an UFA after this year.

DE -

Another position we have a few young players we are developing at in Mario Edwards and Jihad Ward but we will most likely lose a key backup in Denico Autry, who will be an UFA this year. Not a high priority like the top 4 positions but still on the board.

Positions that MAY be upgraded or have a need depending on development, this years production and salary cap concerns.

QB -

Carr is the starter. EJ Manuel won the backup role over recent draft pick Connor Cook. EJ is on a 1 yr deal with the hope that Cook develops enough to take over the role in 2018. I'm sure the front office isn't gonna mess around though with the foundation position after last years collapse after Carr went down. Cook will have competition again next year. Just don't know if it will be a drafted guy they loved or a FA we can afford.

WR -

Cooper is set. Seth Roberts just signed an extension and Johnny Holton is an UDFA that we'll control for a few more years. Crabtree and Cooper have been dual #1 WRs the past 2 years and it's a luxury we may not be able to afford once Cooper and Mack both sign extensions. losing Crab would be a blow to Carr who see him as a security blanket of sorts in the redzone and on 3rd. He is on a 7-8mil a yr deal we can walk away from at any time so it's just depends. Patterson looks like a huge value signing for 3mil a year but just like Crabtree if we get in a cap crunch we can walk from his deal the last year of his deal as well leaving a void at the position.

ILB -

Some fans would like further investment in a blue chip MLB. I'm not one of them. I think the organization shares my view after the performances turned in by 2nd year mid round draftee Cory James, rookie mid round draftee Marquel Lee, UDFA Nicholas Morrow, and 2nd yr journeymen Tyrell Adams. I'm of the minds that we have our young ILBing core but the year is young.

Edited by NightTrainLane

not much has changed for Jags

1) QB. its obvious Blake isnt the Answer.

2) OL. we need 2 New Guards and possibly a RT. 

3) WR. With Allen Robinsons injury and Lee's lack of consistency both of whom are free agents and Hurns being a dissapointment since he got his contract we could be looking for some wrs. 

4) TE. we have no Pass catching TEs that are worth anything. 

5) CB. we need a new nickle if Colivin walks.

6) DE. i know we have 3 guys at DE that are considered decent with Ngakoue, fowler, smoot but Fowler and Smoot arent Natural pass rushers. it would be great to add 1. 

7) LB. Poz and Telvin smith are free agents. im fairly certain Poz will be let go as hes essentially been demoted to a 2-down ILB role but i think the team wants Jack as the MLB soon so we would likely need a new Sam LBer.