NFL Draft - Team Needs

The Gnat

TB Update

QB: Neither Winston nor Fitzpatrick is the answer. This will probably be taken care of in FA since the draft doesn't show anyone worth a **** outside of maybe Will Grier. 
CB: VH3's future is unclear and Brent Grimes is pretty much gone. Carlton Davis looks to be a playmaker but they'll need someone to go across from him. 
SS: Justin Evans has taken a step back. 
LT: Donovan Smith is serviceable but if an upgrade falls to them. Then they could move  Donovan Smith to RG. 
RG: One of the reasons TB's run game struggles. 
DE: Someone to go across from JPP

Edited by Jimmy Austin

possible needs for the Rams:

ILB, the need is obvious but then you add in Barron is a likely cap casualty since he's always dinged up and missed time this year plus his big cap hit. Littleton will likely be resigned and slid into Barrons position. The depth and special teams guys Hager and Ramon Wilson are free agents. Micah Kiser is a well liked pick from this draft but will he step up and become a starter in the off season?

CB, with Talib and Peters on the last year of their deal and Shields being a free agent along with Hill who needs to go this is an obvious need not even taking performance into account.

NT, Suh is on a 1 year deal and may not be brought back unless it's cheaper that his 14 million cap hit this year. We drafted Sebastian Joseph-Day this year and coaches seem to love him. But do we add another young guy there or a vet free agent perhaps? 

FS, Joyner hasn't come close to repeating his performance the last couple years and earning that franchise tag. The market seems down on free agent safeties so a vet instead of a pick is also a possibility.

OG, Saffold is a free agent and will turn 32. He had injury issues in his first contract but has stayed remarkably healthy in recent years. He's hinted in comments that he knows he will likely have to take a pay cut to stay and that he really wants to stay. Blythe has been amazing at the other Guard spot but will be on the last year of his deal. Rams fans have faith in Aaron Kromerto get the most out of any pick so not sure this is a priority but it could be a late round pick.

QB, none of us like Mannion so a vet and or a mid round pick behind Jared is a real possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Week 14 Update: Seattle Seahawks

1. Defensive Tackle

This has been the weakest unit this year. Worst YPC given up in the NFL (With Bobby Wagner behind them). Also, Seattle is always keen on investing in a position the year before pending FA. (Shaq, Tedric, Hill 2017, Green 2018) and Jarran Reed is a URFA after 2019. Could definitely see two early picks here. Seattle likes versatility along the DL, and a run stopper could help too. 

2. Edge and End

I fully expect Frank Clark to leave via FA. Definitely need a replacement here if need be. 3rd Round pick Rasheem Green will be in the mix. Also, Seattle could definitely upgrade on the strong side [Jefferson / Jordan]. Seattle likes every down Edges, and DT/DE tweeners [Strong side].

3. Wide Receiver

Tyler Lockett is really good and David Moore is developing nicely. But the offense really struggles with Doug Baldwin is not in the lineup. Need a young playmaker moving forward. For Seattle, they like YAC machines, who don't mind blocking.

4. Slot Corner

Justin Coleman is a FA and wont be resigned [too much $$$]. For the slot, Seattle values M2M coverage and great tackling. 

5. G/T

The offensive line has been solid this year, but if Solari finds a guy he likes, they could try to upgrade LG and RT. Plus Fluker is a FA after this year [Although Simmons has played really well in his absence].

• 2 weeks later...

Bills Update:

OL: C, RT and RG specifically. Dawkins has been up and down in his sophomore year but has been more than good enough on Allens blindside. Rookie Wyatt Teller has started 5 games and is slated to start the final two at LG. He has been very good and helped the run game get going as best as it can. IMO RT and C are the Bills two biggest needs to be address though I think it occurs in free agency. RG could be a later draft choice like Teller was or they may roll with Boetteger next year who has been sprinkled in and performed better than Ducasse, Sirels and John Miller.

WR: Only because I am of the belief having WR's when your OL can't block is backwards, I have put this as need number 2. But make no mistake about it, the Bills need help here very badly. Robert Foster has been a sensation lately with three 100 yard games in the last 5 weeks (and one 94 yarder) to his name. But he is just one guy and still has a long way to go. Zay Jones looked to have turn a corner but then has also disappeared at times and still continues to have issues with the dropsies. Isiah McKenzie should be a nice returner for the Bills and offers something in the passing game but the Bills need a big bodied WR who can do 50/50 balls and make a difference in the redzone. 

DT: I doubt Kyle Williams comes back and even if he does the Bills need to look towards the future. The Bills may re-sign Jordan Phillips but even still he is more of a rotational guy and likely not a 16 game starter. They have Star and Harrison Phillips manning down the 1 technique position, but the 3tech spot is a major question mark moving forward.

CB2 or DE:  I couldn't decide which one I felt was more pressing. The Bills need more pass rushers and Hughes ain't getting any younger. At the CB spot, they have White and Johnson to man the outside and slot corner but they still need another CB at least to make this unit one of the better ones in the league.

SLB or RB: The Bills have entrenched starters at these positions now but they are likely looking for the future in 2020. 

My best guess is the Bills address both the OL and WR in free agency leaving the door open to take the best defensive player in round 1 if a player they like is there. Or they could address the OL or WR position again and continue to build around Josh Allen.

Edited by Trentwannabe

New England Patriots (by position, not need):

Quarterback: Definitely need an option for the future. Brady is still playing at a high level but he's not going to be playing much longer. After missing out on Mayfield last year, the Patriots need their guy after Brady. I could see them drafting a guy this year or next, be it Grier or Haskins or Herbert or Jones or Fromm or whoever. 

Tailback: Not a need. Sony Michel has been a good lead back, and James White is a super valuable weapon in the passing game. I'd be surprised if they target any RBs before R7/UDFA.

Fullback: Not a need. James Develin is a beast.

Wide Receiver: Probably a need. Gordon is a great player but might not come back, and Edelman is still reliable but is getting up there. They could invest resources into a middle-round receiver - it looked like their last middle-round wideout, Georgia's Malcolm Mitchell, was going to be pretty good before his knee injuries derailed his career. They need a speed guy if Gordon isn't coming back, because Dorsett isn't the guy. This draft class is pretty stacked at receiver, I think, so there could be some great value in Rounds 2-3.

Tight End: The Patriots need a new tight end. Gronkowski might retire this offseason and, while still good, isn't the game-wrecker he's always been. Dwayne Allen has been a disappointment, and Jacob Hollister isn't developing fast enough.

Offensive Tackle: The Pats are pretty set here. Cannon and Brown are a pretty good duo, while rookie Isaiah Wynn could eventually step in at a Pro Bowl level if he manages to make a full recovery from his Achilles tear.

Interior Offensive Line: Two of three spots here are locked down. Center David Andrews is a captain and a great former UDFA, while right guard Shaq Mason is under contract for a while and is a Pro Bowl caliber player. Former second-round pick Joe Thuney has been good as well, but he's made some untimely mistakes that could force the team to look for a guy to pressure him. It's unlikely, however. The Patriots do need a top backup though, as Ted Karras and others haven't performed in limited opportunities.

Defensive End: If Flowers leaves, this is a big need, but if not, they could wait. Deatrich Wise Jr. had a promising rookie year and hopefully could amount to something. Obviously, however, getting a solid pass rusher opposite Flowers is a priority.

Defensive Tackle*: This is the No. 1 priority. The run defense is awful, and the Patriots need a new nose tackle to actually shed blocks and make tackles. I like Adam Butler as a pass-rushing DT/DE, but he's not a great run defender. If the Patriots get a true nose (Dexter Lawrence, hopefully), the run defense could fix itself and they could be something.

Linebacker: There's a need for speed here. The Patriots don't have any "modern" linebackers like Darius Leonard or Roquan Smith who can run guys down. Van Noy is a solid MLB and Ja'Whaun Bentley looks promising (81.7 PFF grade before injury), but Hightower isn't going to be a great WLB and Elandon Roberts isn't "the guy."

Cornerback: Doesn't look like a need. Gilmore is a stud and McCourty has been very good too. J.C. Jackson looks like he could be another Butler.

Free Safety: Not really a need. Devin is a jack-of-all-trades and Duron Harmon is a stud ball-hawk.

Strong Safety: A need. Chung is solid but he can be a liability in coverage on tight ends. 

Kicker: Not a need.

Punter: Could use an upgrade - Allen has always been very middle-of-the-pack. The problem is they have to be left-footed.

I hope the Patriots get Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence. I think he'll be a stud.

4 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

New England Patriots (by position, not need):

Wide Receiver: Probably a need. Gordon is a great player but might not come back, and Edelman is still reliable but is getting up there. They could invest resources into a middle-round receiver - it looked like their last middle-round wideout, Georgia's Malcolm Mitchell, was going to be pretty good before his knee injuries derailed his career. They need a speed guy if Gordon isn't coming back, because Dorsett isn't the guy. This draft class is pretty stacked at receiver, I think, so there could be some great value in Rounds 2-3.

Offensive Tackle: The Pats are pretty set here. Cannon and Brown are a pretty good duo, while rookie Isaiah Wynn could eventually step in at a Pro Bowl level if he manages to make a full recovery from his Achilles tear.

Defensive Tackle*: This is the No. 1 priority. The run defense is awful, and the Patriots need a new nose tackle to actually shed blocks and make tackles. I like Adam Butler as a pass-rushing DT/DE, but he's not a great run defender. If the Patriots get a true nose (Dexter Lawrence, hopefully), the run defense could fix itself and they could be something.

Kicker: Not a need.

Punter: Could use an upgrade - Allen has always been very middle-of-the-pack. The problem is they have to be left-footed.

I hope the Patriots get Clemson DT Dexter Lawrence. I think he'll be a stud.

Agree that DL is number 1 priority.

A couple of notes though.

Gordon is a RFA so will be with the Pats next year because he was suspended so many years.

Trent Brown, Ghost and Allen are all FA next year 

Brown will likely be replaced with Wynn but the other two could also be replaced as well.

Miami, assuming we're staying with the 4-3 D

1. LDE - Base 4-3 DE that can rush the passer and set the edge in the run game. 

2. DT - we need a big powerful presence in the middle

3. QB - QBotF

4. RG - quality starter desired

5. CB - more competition needed

On 11/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, ET80 said:

Texans:

OL - Really, take your pick as to which spot at the OL. Even C Nick Martin has been less than average. I'm all but certain that Greg Little or Jonah Williams will be the Texans' 1st round pick this upcoming draft (if they're still on the board, that is). The Texans have three picks in the first two rounds, so don't be surprised to see two OL picked in the top 64. (LT/RT makes the most sense, as you can push Martinas Rankin to G, let Julie'n Davenport serve as a swing T and hold a three way competition for the other G spot with Zach Fulton, Senio Kelemete and Greg Mancz).

CB - Kevin Johnson has been a colossal bust, and a major injury concern to boot. Jonathan Joseph is really showing his age. Aaron Colvin has been disappointing as well as injured. Kareem Jackson has been great at S, so moving him to CB only weakens the S unit. Sharice Wright is the best CB on the team, which is telling of the unit. (It's bad). Early round CB is a need, there's no bonafide #1 CB on this team - a few low end #2s at most, and that's being generous. One of those three picks in two rounds will probably be allocated to this need. 

RB - Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue aren't getting the job done and D'Onta Foreman is probably an afterthought with his achilles injury. Even if he returns, it's doubtful he'll be the guy he flashed last season. Don't be too surprised if the Texans make a play for Le'Veon Bell this off-season, as there is cap space to be had. Tevin Coleman is also a possibility, as he has a similar skillset and lower miles (but is not as talented as Bell). Mark Ingram doesn't seem like a true fit, but has some good experience and skills to work some magic in the Texans' offense. TJ Yeldon would be a sneaky add, as he's showing he's a guy who can take on an every down role as both a runner and receiver. Realistically, your best bet for a RB is free agency. (Unless a guy like Bryce Love or Bennie Snell is available in the 4th/5th round. Even then, still might be better going the FA route).

DL - JJ Watt is JJ Watt again, but for how long? DJ Reader is a very good NT, but there's not much outside of those two. A starter opposite Watt and depth along the line would help keep Watt/Reader going strong. If a 1st round prospect slides into the 2nd round, this could be addressed earlier than anticipated. 

OLB - This will really be contingent on whether or not the Texans keep Jadevion Clowney. If so, you have good depth with Peter Kalambayi and Duke Ejiofor as well as a solid starter in Whitney Mercilius. If not, you've got a big need at OLB. (Only thing that should prevent the Texans from keeping Clowney is if someone puts him in that "highest paid defensive player" spot with an Aaron Donald/Khalil Mack type offer. Nobody should do that but somebody might do that).

WR just jumped up on the list - Demaryius Thomas is probably a cap casualty with his achilles tear, Will Fuller and Keke Coutee are injury prone so finding a guy to line up opposite Hopkins is a need...

Update for the Vikings with the season in the books:

1) Interior Offensive Line - The Vikes need two new starting Guards and Pat Elflein has struggled at Center in year two. 

2) Defensive Tackle or Outside Linebacker - If the Vikes are able to resign Sheldon Richardson and Anthony Barr, they are set at both positions. It's not likely that MN can afford both, creating a pressing starting need on defense. I'm not sure either Richardson or Barr are worth the FA contracts they are about to get but losing both isn't a good situation.

3) Tight End - Kyle Rudolph hasn't been particularly useful this year despite all the attention that Diggs and Thielen have received. Rudolph has a $7m cap hit, he seems like a potential cap cut with no dead cap. 

4) Wide Receiver 3 - Laquon Treadwell is a bust. Aldrick Robinson hasn't been used much but has surprising production as a deep threat. The Vikings need a third receiver to emerge, whether that be at WR or TE.

5) Defensive End - On paper, the Vikes would appear set with a nice trio in Hunter, Griffen and Weatherly. Griffen hasn't been as effective as he once was and its not yet known if Weatherly can be a regular starter. 

Quarterback - I think QB always has to be evaluated if you don't have a legit franchise, top 10 QB. Cousins had a real disappointing season leading the team to an abysmal record against quality opponents. If the right QB falls, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings make a bold move for a new QB to groom for a year or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Update for the Vikings with the season in the books:

1) Interior Offensive Line - The Vikes need two new starting Guards and Pat Elflein has struggled at Center in year two. 

2) Defensive Tackle or Outside Linebacker - If the Vikes are able to resign Sheldon Richardson and Anthony Barr, they are set at both positions. It's not likely that MN can afford both, creating a pressing starting need on defense. I'm not sure either Richardson or Barr are worth the FA contracts they are about to get but losing both isn't a good situation.

3) Tight End - Kyle Rudolph hasn't been particularly useful this year despite all the attention that Diggs and Thielen have received. Rudolph has a $7m cap hit, he seems like a potential cap cut with no dead cap. 

4) Wide Receiver 3 - Laquon Treadwell is a bust. Aldrick Robinson hasn't been used much but has surprising production as a deep threat. The Vikings need a third receiver to emerge, whether that be at WR or TE.

5) Defensive End - On paper, the Vikes would appear set with a nice trio in Hunter, Griffen and Weatherly. Griffen hasn't been as effective as he once was and its not yet known if Weatherly can be a regular starter. 

Quarterback - I think QB always has to be evaluated if you don't have a legit franchise, top 10 QB. Cousins had a real disappointing season leading the team to an abysmal record against quality opponents. If the right QB falls, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings make a bold move for a new QB to groom for a year or two.

Agree with this, I would probably move WR above TE, but that's about the only thing I'd flip.

On 8/1/2018 at 11:50 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Colts 

3T/1T - We’ll have to see how things go this season but as of now the only IDL under contract next year are (3Ts Denico Autry, Tyquan Lewis and Hassan Ridgeway, and 1T Grover Stewart). Stewarts growth and Ridgeway’s ability to make the final 53 could go a long way in determining how much depth we need. 

LB - there is Darius Leonard, Anthony Walker and nothing. And Walker is already nursing a groin injury two weeks before the first preseason game. Skai Moore a UDFA is filling in for him 

WR - By the end of this season I think Deon Cain can overtake both Ryan Grant and Chester Rogers for the starting spot opposite TY Hilton. Grant and Rogers will both hit free agency and that would only leave 5th Rder  Reese Fountain and behind those 2. 

CB - This could actually be no. 1 by the end of the season depending on how good or bad Quincy Wilson/Kenny Moore/Pierre Desir/Nate Hairston are. 

EDGE - I know I should feel like Tarell Basham and Kemoko Tuiray  should get a chance to prove themselves but Chris Ballard has talked about competition is important. John Simon is in the last year of his deal. Chris McCain is on a 1 year deal (if he makes the team) and Jabaal Sheard has only one more year on his deal. You can never have enough pass rush. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we double up and one of more of these positions. That was certainly the theme of the 2018 draft. As well as building from the inside out.

Update

Draft Picks - original picks are low to mid 20s (still have all original picks) 

(extra picks)

Round 2 - Jets pick #34 

Round 4 - potential compensatory pick (Donte Moncrief) 

Round 7 - potential compensatory pick (Frank Gore) 

1) 3T/1T - Margus Hunt replaced Al Woods as a starting IDL mid season. Both are free agents. Denico Autry has been constantly playing IDL and Tyquan Lewis replaced Autry as the DE who moves inside on passing plays. We could use a run stuffer DL to play next to Autry in rotation with Lewis and Grover Stewart

2) WR - Dontrelle Inman is the only WR (besides Hilton) who was consistent this year. He’s going to be 30 though. Deon Cain missed the whole season with a knee injury and who knows how he recovers. Ryan Grant was a bust, Chester Rogers has a few good games but nothing to suggest he needs to be resigned for more then league minimum

3) CB - Pierre Desir and Kenny Moore have both been solid CBs and Quincy Wilson has progressed to a point where he is showing ability to play zone despite never having played it before. But again Chris Ballard stresses competition and a young CB to push these guys and (eventually) replace one is needed

4) EDGE - next season is the last year on Jabaal Sheard’s contract. Kemoko Turay has shown ability in limited action. He either needs to earn more playing time or we need someone to take his spot 

5) RB - Marlon Mack is our starting RB and we have to solid RBs behind him Nyheim Hines as our receiving back (ala Darren Sproles) and Jordan Wilkins as our change of pace/short yardage back. We still need to add another back to give us depth behind those 3 

6) Safety - SS to be exact, someone to play next to Malik Hooker. Both Clayton Geathers and Matthias Farley are free agents and both had injury problems. I’m not sure if we bring either back. Mike Mitchell who was signed after Farley went on IR is also a FA

——————————————————————

I removed LBer from this list for 3reasons. 1) we rarely play 3 LBs on the field so unless there is an injury we don’t need to look for one at the top of the draft 2) WLB Leonard has played at an All Pro Level and MLB Anthony Walker has been above average in his play this year in the new scheme 3) Skai Moore, Zaire Franklin and Matt Adams have all played well in limited time and contributed on special teams as well. 

After the first 6 I would list the next 3 as WR, OL depth and CB

Howie Roseman, besides QB Carson Wentz, has literally never picked any position besides OL and DL in the first round. And with age at some of the starting positions, I think it is very unlikely he goes in a different direction this year. 

OT, DT or DE are all on the table for round 1of the draft.

besides that the Eagles need a RB, deep threat WR, LB and Secondary players 

• 4 weeks later...