Kevin Dodd talk - Does he make the team?

Dionysus

Cut before 2017 season starts? No

Cut before 2018 season starts? Yes

There were a loy of guys I wanted over Kevin Dodd, but possibly hitting on LeShaun Sims, Aaron Wallace, and Kalan Reed in the later rounds makes up for it. Hopefully those three pan out and we won't be talking about how the Titans blew another 2nd round pick.

23 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Cut before 2017 season starts? No

Cut before 2018 season starts? Yes

There were a loy of guys I wanted over Kevin Dodd, but possibly hitting on LeShaun Sims, Aaron Wallace, and Kalan Reed in the later rounds makes up for it. Hopefully those three pan out and we won't be talking about how the Titans blew another 2nd round pick.

Oh come on... we're fans... of course we'll talk about it!!  We could hit on 6 of the 7 picks... but if we miss on a 2nd rounder, we'll definitely discuss ad naseum... 

Those damn 2nd rounders!!

On 8/20/2017 at 6:05 PM, KingTitan said:

It's not even about him fitting our system. I just don't think he is a fast rusher. He is slow off the edge. He would be slow in an 4-3 system.  Any system asking him to rush off the edge may not be happy with him. If he is just to play the run, then maybe cool.

Everyone said this about Beasley too. Fans were just about ready to give up on him and and they were calling him a bust. I say let's wait him out another year. 

11 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Oh come on... we're fans... of course we'll talk about it!!  We could hit on 6 of the 7 picks... but if we miss on a 2nd rounder, we'll definitely discuss ad naseum... 

Those damn 2nd rounders!!

Not a fan of blowing 2nd rounders either, but the idea on hitting on maybe 3 late round picks does take away the sting.  And the other 2nd round picks look to be contributors with Derrick Henry having the potential to be a starter. 

I guess just the probability of having one of three 2nd round picks not be a stud is reality.

I honestly wasn't a fan of any of our 2nd round picks that year...

Henry hate was purely the vols fan in me. And I thought he might be a bit slow in the NFL. Glad I was wrong.

Austin Johnson was my least hated pick. 

The thing about those two guys though was they both flashed on tape. Dodd never did for me at least. I never sat there and said oh damn OKAY we got something here. He was mehh and its more of the same in the NFL. I wouldn't mind giving him more time but Id rather give it to someone else at this point. 

On 8/24/2017 at 10:20 AM, Titans fan 617 said:

Also DGB was not Robinsons pick it's easy to trade a guy who wasn't your guy Dodd is his guy 

Bingo. Part of me thinks they'll trade Dodd if they could get a 4th/5th. But otherwise he probably sticks on the roster even though he doesn't deserve it. 

Will be interesting to see. Does J-Rob have the Belichickian streak to him that drops guys regardless of status? Or does he do what 99/100 other guys would do and hold on to a flawed, high draft pick because he's "his guy"? Honestly, I would be impressed if he goes ahead and cuts him, would take some brass ones. I don't even think it's really Dodd's fault, but the fit has never been there and it's better for both to figure out something else. 

Yeah, he had yet another preseason game where even against backups he was entirely invisible. He played the most snaps of anyone on the defense yesterday. Which is impressive since I only remember seeing him twice, and each time it was just a replay where I said to myself, "hey, there's Kevin Dodd getting shut down one-on-one again."

Idk, it just feels like Mularkey is hyping and boasting him up to up his trade value. Maybe I'm not watching Dodd the same as Mularkey but I just can't see how watching him last game makes you say that was his "best game".

I'm probably completely wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if he's on another team next week.

4 hours ago, VY said:

oes J-Rob have the Belichickian streak to him that drops guys regardless of status? Or does he do what 99/100 other guys would do and hold on to a flawed, high draft pick because he's "his guy"? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the almighty BB has not given up on a 2nd rounder of his after 1 year. There was one 2nd rounder that failed to see year 3 (only Jackson from a quick glimpse)... But from what I saw, all made at least year 2. 

45 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the almighty BB has not given up on a 2nd rounder of his after 1 year. There was one 2nd rounder that failed to see year 3 (only Jackson from a quick glimpse)... But from what I saw, all made at least year 2. 

Darius Butler also didn't make year 3 with them.

I'd be shocked if we outright released Dodd. As I said before, I can maybe see a trade potentially happening between now and week 1. Having said that, it sounds like Mularkey (and maybe Robinson and others on the coaching staff) are higher on Dodd than most of us are on here.

Archived