Re-grading the 2018 draft class, one year in

beardown3231

1.8- Roquan Smith: Smith had a slow start to the year but really picked it up. His ability to fly to the ball is second to none and I think he has a long career ahead of him. The INT yesterday was impressive as impressive gets. There were some great players picked after him, Derwin James in particular, but Smith was a good pick. Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher, Smith.

Grade- B+

2.39- James Daniels: Daniels, for whatever reason, didn't play for the first handful of games for the mediocre Eric Kush but finally got a start and never looked back. He had some really good moments and some rough moments, but it's easy to see his talent. I expect him to be a perennial Pro Bowler every year moving forward. 

Grade- B

2.51- Anthony Miller: I believe Miller led the team in receiving TD's and that's a huge positive, but I didn't see the same Miller in Chicago as I did at Memphis. I had a MAN CRUSH on this guy when he was coming out. His go-up-and-get-it ability was unreal in college, and I just didn't see it. Yesterday, his drop/fumble/whatever could have been a turning point and instead Cre'von ***ing Leblanc stripped it away. He also talks a ton and I've always been a guy who if you're going to talk, you better produce a ton. Hopefully it was the shoulder injury and he's twice as good in 2019.

Grade- C+

4.115- Joel Iyiegbuniwe: I liked what I saw at times for Iggy on ST. He made a play against Minnesota but unfortunately it was wiped out due to penalty. He has the speed but I still wonder if he'll ever play consistently on D. Fortunately the Bears had injury luck in 2018 and one of those guys who typically is banged up is Trevathan, so I hope Iggy can step in in 2019 when the inevitable happens. Regardless, we all knew this pick was going to be for ST in 2018, so it's hard to grade him poorly.

Grade- C

5.145- Bilal Nichols: Another late round gem for Pace. Nichols finished the year with 28 tackles, 3 sacks and 5 TFL. My favorite part about Nichols' year was that not only did he finish the year strong (1 TFL and 1.5 sacks in the final 3 games) but he made big plays in big moments (the tackle at the end of the ARZ game could have been the biggest play of that game).

Grade- A

(not going to grade the 6th and 7th round picks because they're rather incomplete, but Fitts needs to get stronger and Wims needs to get quicker)

Would love to hear all of yours!

1. Roquan Smith [A]

He is and elite player, who had elite production, and was elite in the playoff game.

2. James Daniels [B+] 

He played well for a rookie, but he is not a consistently dominant player and had some rough moments.

2. Anthony Miller [A]

Love the production, attitude, and route running. Go and look at what most rookie WRs do and you will appreciate Miller more.

4. Iggy

Solid special teams LB in the 4th round is rock solid. Has starter athletic upside.

5. Nichols [A+]

Looks like a long term starter and spurts of dominant play.

6. Fitts [C]

I just did not see it with him when he got some snaps.

7. Wims [B+]

Need to see more, but there is something there.

Agree with your write up for the most part.  I'd give Miller a B at least since he led the team in TDs playing with a bum shoulder all season.  I expect a big 2nd year out of him after he gets healthy this offseason.

I'd say Wims is a solid C+ and nice find by Pace for a 7th round pick.  I expect that he will be a regular part of the WR rotation next year with Kevin White and Josh Bellamy both FAs.

Fitts to me is a C-.  Didn't see too much to get excited about with him this past year.  Will be a big offseason for him to prove he belongs in this league.

1. Roquan Smith A

I didn't care much about the pick at the time, but really like the guy as he has almost always been in the right spot and makes big plays and little, expected ones as  well. 

2. James Daniels B

I give him a B without a curve, but a A+ considering his rookie status.  Started a bit slow, and like WC says has had some down games, but looks like he's going to combine ability and technique, what more do you want?

2. Anthony Miller B+

I think he's going to be really special, and I actually love his attitude.  IF he can get fixed up properly he could grow into a big time receiver fast. 

4  Joel Iyiegbuniwe C

Really didn't like the pick at the time, and haven't seen much from him outside of special teams, in which he's fine.  In a good team/spot to learn, so at the very least is good depth to have. 

5 Bilal Nichols A

Both on play, and draft value, this guy was a great find

6 Kylie Fitts C

I remember a few nice preseason plays...  

7 Wims C+

Inconsistent, but I feel like he has a ton of potential. Good value at least and could grow up into a good WR

Anyone have an opinion on Toliver?  Hasn't gotten arrested, so that's good, but I was kinda hoping for a draft miracle with him

Overall, really good class.  The value of this class is hugely boosted by the Mack trade, as otherwise we might have been raggin on Pace for not fixing OLB, think about it. 

Toliver, Wims and Nichols are incredible value.  

Miller was slightly disappointing, but some of that was QB play and injury.  Remember he was running all alone and was over thrown or not thrown ball like 5 or 6 times this year.   All of those would have been TDs and he would be remembered differently had those plays happened.  I just hope this shoulder thing isn’t a recurring injury we will see again and again. 

This was a great draft for value spots and role players. 

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

1.8- Roquan Smith: Smith had a slow start to the year but really picked it up. His ability to fly to the ball is second to none and I think he has a long career ahead of him. The INT yesterday was impressive as impressive gets. There were some great players picked after him, Derwin James in particular, but Smith was a good pick. Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher, Smith.

Generally you shouldn't take ILB's with a top 10 pick, but Smith was a good choice.  Not a lot of obviously better ones you could name that went after him.   But for his hold out Bears win that game at Packers I believe.  Not sure who to blame for that.   Bears have been lucky for years they haven't had injuries at OT, I may have gone in that direction, but I am an O line guy.  

Grade- B+

2.39- James Daniels: Daniels, for whatever reason, didn't play for the first handful of games for the mediocre Eric Kush but finally got a start and never looked back. He had some really good moments and some rough moments, but it's easy to see his talent. I expect him to be a perennial Pro Bowler every year moving forward. 

James Daniels comes out this year he goes in top 12-14 of draft.  Youth and talented class put him in second round.  

Grade- B

2.51- Anthony Miller: I believe Miller led the team in receiving TD's and that's a huge positive, but I didn't see the same Miller in Chicago as I did at Memphis. I had a MAN CRUSH on this guy when he was coming out. His go-up-and-get-it ability was unreal in college, and I just didn't see it. Yesterday, his drop/fumble/whatever could have been a turning point and instead Cre'von ***ing Leblanc stripped it away. He also talks a ton and I've always been a guy who if you're going to talk, you better produce a ton. Hopefully it was the shoulder injury and he's twice as good in 2019.

Miller was a solid pick. Neither great nor bad.   I think he went where he should have.  Warrior attitude.  

Grade- C+

4.115- Joel Iyiegbuniwe: I liked what I saw at times for Iggy on ST. He made a play against Minnesota but unfortunately it was wiped out due to penalty. He has the speed but I still wonder if he'll ever play consistently on D. Fortunately the Bears had injury luck in 2018 and one of those guys who typically is banged up is Trevathan, so I hope Iggy can step in in 2019 when the inevitable happens. Regardless, we all knew this pick was going to be for ST in 2018, so it's hard to grade him poorly.

Who?  He was hurt most of year wasn't he?  

5.145- Bilal Nichols: Another late round gem for Pace. Nichols finished the year with 28 tackles, 3 sacks and 5 TFL. My favorite part about Nichols' year was that not only did he finish the year strong (1 TFL and 1.5 sacks in the final 3 games) but he made big plays in big moments (the tackle at the end of the ARZ game could have been the biggest play of that game).

Grade- A

Hicks took Nichols under his wing and it paid huge dividends.  He looks like a stud D with high upside.  Never have enough of those.  

(not going to grade the 6th and 7th round picks because they're rather incomplete, but Fitts needs to get stronger and Wims needs to get quicker)

Wims and Toliver looked good every single opportunity given them and that is all you can do.  No reason to think they couldn't to do well with more opportunities.  

Fitts had flashes in pre season and to my eye, looks the part.  But there was ample opportunity to play with injuries and he got very little time.  Don't know what to say about that other than coaches weren't impressed.  

Great class overall.  

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Toliver, Wims and Nichols are incredible value.  

Miller was slightly disappointing, but some of that was QB play and injury.  Remember he was running all alone and was over thrown or not thrown ball like 5 or 6 times this year.   All of those would have been TDs and he would be remembered differently had those plays happened.  I just hope this shoulder thing isn’t a recurring injury we will see again and again. 

This was a great draft for value spots and role players. 

I expected more from Miller as well. I thought he was so good in the beginning, and his route running was insanely good. I expect a big jump from him next year. 

29 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I expected more from Miller as well. I thought he was so good in the beginning, and his route running was insanely good. I expect a big jump from him next year. 

I think WRs are a product of QB often and MT did not have great command of full playbook.  No one could.  Not enough hours in the day.  Or you can, but you can't know all reads without thinking.  

I think next year these guys will all look a lot better as MT plays better.  It was all new to them too.

I think they take February and do nothing and recuperate.  If they hang out and have a private mini camp somewhere in March or April well ahead of mini camps I think that would be hugely beneficial to all of them and provide some bonding as well.  

If I am MT I am organizing this.  My legacy is at stake.  And 2019 and 2020 are your best chances to win it all.  Those chances may never come again.

If you QB a SB win in Chicago and you aren't a nutcase like McMahon you are set for life.

Even Sid Luckman was still treated as big man on campus in the City right up until near his death and he was a big deal all the way back in the 40s!!!  

He got cherry deals on all kinds of things, was brought in on business opportunities and rarely paid for a meal.

I do want to state this is just off their rookie year in combination with draft position. Not really just grading on potential, but they would have pretty damn good ratings either way.

1.8- Roquan Smith: I usually don't care for MLBs so early, but when Smith is on he is just flat out special. Comes down hard vs the run, covers a lot of area in zone and can play in man, and also has the natural agility to fly through gaps as a blitzer. He has all the makings of the next great backer for Chicago. I will only knock the grade down a bit due to the holdout, but in the long run that is peanuts honestly.

Grade- A-

2.39- James Daniels: Another super talented guy, he can be our Long of the future. Has LT athleticism and technique. He is mean and technically sound from what I have seen, causing more big blocks than I expected. Still needs to continue getting stronger, but he gets to the 2nd level better than anyone outside of a healthy Long. Like you said Beardown, it is confusing to see him sitting behind Kush, he immediately was an upgrade.

Grade- B+

2.51- Anthony Miller: High potential, would like to see him get the ball more between the numbers. Showed he could run sharp routes and is a serious redzone threat. I think he may usurp Gabriel for the number 2 spot next year, and can be a hellish starting duo opposite of Robinson. 

Grade- B

4.115- Joel Iyiegbuniwe: Just not enough to really get a read on him. Physically he seemed to fit fight in with NFL vets, and has the burst to   be a disruptive guy. But he was behind Smith and Trevathan, so he really had no business playing defense outside of garbage time. Can't blame him for that.  

Grade- N/A

5.145- Bilal Nichols: Awesome pick up, he has a ton of potential. Showed burst AND that he can be stout vs the run. Hard not to be happy with this pick.

Grade- A

Fitts I haven't seen enough to make a grade. Wims looks talented but I want to see him more against real competition. He clearly is better than the PS and normal late round picks, but can he develop into a consistent every week receiver? Looked like Meredith to a degree, as far as size and movement, though I think Meredith was faster.

Grade- N/A

Toliver has shown he wasn't afraid of his time in there, he may be a steal. He may be Prince's heir.

Grade- B+

On 1/7/2019 at 10:46 AM, beardown3231 said:

Grade- B+

Grade- B

Grade- C+

Grade- C

Grade- A

Would love to hear all of yours!

Just a useless hypo:

Would you rather have Roquan Smith or trade down with say New Orleans for the extra 1 instead of GB and drafted either Derwin James or Tremaine Edmunds?

Would you rather have Anthony Miller or Brian O'Neill?

I probably do the latter in both cases and I love Smith and Miller. 

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Just a useless hypo:

Would you rather have Roquan Smith or trade down with say New Orleans for the extra 1 instead of GB and drafted either Derwin James or Tremaine Edmunds?

Would you rather have Anthony Miller or Brian O'Neill?

I probably do the latter in both cases and I love Smith and Miller. 

It depends. If Amos leaves in FA, I'd take James over time, but I would have rather had Smith this year. The speed difference between Smith and Kwiatkoski is substantial. Smith had a good year but it's not talked about nationally because James and Chubb were great.

As for O'Neill, no thanks. Miller is going to be really good and I'm not sure loudmouth BON is going to ever be better than average. Plus O'Neill would have rode the bench this year and I trust Pace to find a player in O'Neill's ballpark to replace Massie.

Archived