Thoughts and Observations: Playoff Game

WindyCity

Offense

-I am going to get this out of the way early. Cody Parkey is a total failure and I think most of us thought that he was going to cost us a playoff game. He was mentally broken after the Lions game and should have been cut at some point over the course of the season, but his contract, which is a brutal, kept him around. Parkey was the critical mistake made by Ryan Pace and I hope he did not get any sleep last night knowing his poor judgement and refusal to admit a mistake cost the Bears a playoff run.

-Nagy wasn't great yesterday. The time out didn't bother me you saved 10-12 seconds and a down by having it when Mitch hit Robinson for 25. I thought the offense got pushed around in the 1st half and they did not do anything to get the Eagles on their heels. They needed to use Cohen more.

-Mitch was bad in the 1st half, which I realize having watched a couple of young QBs in earlier games is pretty par for the course with young guys in the playoffs. He should have picked 1 for sure and probably 2 times when you consider the great Maddox play on the sideline. I thought in the 2nd half he was much better and made some huge throws, the 3rd down throw in the middle to Gabriel while getting hit was a dome, dime to Robinson on the sideline for the catch and run, dime on the TD, dime on the final drive. It was an uneven game, but for sure one that they can build off in the offseason. We saw growth before our eyes.

-I would have loved to run Jordan Howard more, but the way that our OL was getting *** whooped I am not sure how you would justify it.

-Tarik Cohen is the biggest victim of Trey Burton being out. Burton usually draws the best safety on the team in coverage and with him out Malcolm Jenkins was able to focus on Cohen. That being said he needed more touches, the Bears tried 1 screen that he dropped, but that needs to be a focus in the offseason, getting a Chiefs like screen game going. The kick return at the end of the game was huge.

-Allen Robinson showed where he dominates and he was dominant. If he would have kept his feet in bounds he may have had 175 yards. I expect even bigger things next season as he gets another year removed from the knee injury. He runs sensational routes for a 6'3" WR.

-Gabriel made plays like he has all season, but they need to find away to get him more involved vertically in the offense. When the Bears go vertical the offense seems to open up and they get way more successful. I had no issue with the 2 point play, Gabriel is a very good runner with the ball.

-Anthony Miller was solid and the future is bright, but imagine if he makes the catch [which was a catch and fumble] how different the game may have been going into the half with a TD and not a field goal. He needs to get the shoulder healthy and continue to develop.

-Adam Shaheen needs to stop jumping, he looks idiotic doing it. You are 270, play like it. His blocking is still very good.

-The OL was just not good enough. 3.5 YPC for Howard, giving up pressure on 30% of passing plays. Most of the game they were pushed around, which is very disappointing.

-Kyle Long had some highlight blocks against Fletcher Cox and got worked on a bunch of reps. It is a hard assignment to come back to, but he needed to be better.

-Bobbie Massie made it much easier not to re-sign him with this effort.

-James Daniels had some serious struggles, especially when he was left 1 on 1 in pass pro. Needs to get stronger and continue his development.

-I did not see anything glaring from Leno.

Defense

-Overall, I thought the defense played well enough to win the game, but there was some critical moments where they just could not get off the field. It is unfortunate that they needed to be better than they were allowing 16 points, but they did, and they were not.

-I thought Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks were good all game, but I do not know if I would describe them as being dominant, which is probably what the Bears needed.

-Eddie Goldman continues to be a dominant interior presence. That contract he signed is going to end up looking team friendly based on his play this season.

-I thought Leonard Floyd had another good game and pretty much locked up that his 5th year option should be picked up. The 1 on 1 play with Sproles was an example of his unique skill set. I think if we accept that he is a unique 6-8 sack guy and not the dominant pass rusher we had thought we will realize that across from Mack he may be an ideal rush partner.

-Roquan was a stud all game long.

-Trevathan continues to play at a high level and I would love to get a couple more years of him and Roquan together before we move the dot.

-Amos had a huge pick in the end zone and a great hit on Tate, but he also blew the TD coverage and his penalty extended the drive that led to the TD. Really hard in the playoffs to overcome and mistake like that.

-The one Prince PI a game started to become an issue.

-I thought Deon Bush was fine. I know people will beat the drum about Jackson needing to play, but it he was still limited I did not see anything from Bush that required Jackson to be forced onto the field.

-Fuller was super soft early, but started to get tighter as the game wore on.

-McManis gave up 2 huge catches in the game, but I still think he played well in a relief role.

-Pat O'Donnell had some really great punts and then shanked the most important one of the game and I am not sure the Bears could not get someone more consistent for the money he will cost.

Robinson has to drag that foot. That's 4 points.

Miller has to hold onto the ball. That's 4 points.

Cohen only touching the ball 4 times is a joke. He also should have been returning kicks all year. I'm not sure why they messed around with Mizzell, Bellamy, Miller and Cunningham all year long.

If Parkey makes the kick, that game is known as The Trubisky Game. His throws in the second half were ****ing incredible. I'm so excited to see him next year.

Howard had a good game yesterday when he ran the ball up the middle. Unfortunately Nagy wants guys who can be successful on stretches, counters, tosses, etc and that isn't Howard. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Shaheen is fragile and not agile.

Parkey is the ****ing worst.

Mack and Hicks didn't do what they had to do.

Fuller has to tackle better. His coverage of Alshon early was embarrassing.

Amos' stupid hit and then getting burnt on the Ertz TD sums up why some other team can overpay for him.

Oline was biggest disappointment.  If you ask me they lost the game.

Throughout season in youtube videos featuring other players I noticed when guys were bad, especially Massie, it was lazy fundamentals.  He is not a knee bender. Most big people aren't. It isn't natural for big and tall humans. It is something you have to think about and work on all the time.

Massie was good more than he was bad on the season, I am just saying when he was bad he was being lazy in technique and when he is bad he is really bad. 

The better big athletes and natural knee benders almost always end up on defense.

Why Daniels has limitless potential.  He is a natural knee bender and low hip player.  He isnt relying on size and muscle or not just.  He can use leverage and technique to win.  Very rare offensive linemen.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

Why are Cunningham and Mizzel running ball on key 3rd downs?

Cunningham in this game and Mizzel in Giants game.

Its like the game is on the line, no one will expect if we give it to our 3rd string back. Bwhaha. Genius.

For what he is, McManis played well in his stretch. Pass rush kept him from getting picked on much, and scheme had him out of unfavorable situations. 

But I think they knew on 4th who they wanted to go after, and they were right to do so. Callahan is a far better athlete and also likely makes the break on the ball to save the game. 

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

For what he is, McManis played well in his stretch. Pass rush kept him from getting picked on much, and scheme had him out of unfavorable situations. 

But I think they knew on 4th who they wanted to go after, and they were right to do so. Callahan is a far better athlete and also likely makes the break on the ball to save the game. 

Not sure about that. That throw was a dart with perfect accuracy. The fact that he changed his motion to avoid Floyd's hand was pretty impressive too. Still, Callahan >>> McManis and it isn't close

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Not sure about that. That throw was a dart with perfect accuracy. The fact that he changed his motion to avoid Floyd's hand was pretty impressive too. Still, Callahan >>> McManis and it isn't close

No, you're right. The throw was perfect. But I'm saying I think it was a predetermined throw, and doubt they had that with Callahan. 

Maybe they would, idk, just my guess. But Callahan would have likely made him at least make a split decision even if he was still going to Tate. I think that allows Callahan the split second to make a move, maybe allows Floyd a better chance of hitting the ball too. 

Watch stating the bolded, IBT reads that he will stroke out. xD

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Robinson has to drag that foot. That's 4 points.  Agreed but it's not guaranteed they would have scored a TD.

Miller has to hold onto the ball. That's 4 points.  Agreed but it's not guaranteed they would have scored a TD.

Cohen only touching the ball 4 times is a joke. He also should have been returning kicks all year. I'm not sure why they messed around with Mizzell, Bellamy, Miller and Cunningham all year long.  Agreed.  Hate that they didn't commit to running the ball more.  Also, why the hell are you using Mizzell at all?  At the same time though the Philly D-line was more physical yesterday and didn't make it easy on them running the ball. 

If Parkey makes the kick, that game is known as The Trubisky Game. His throws in the second half were ****ing incredible. I'm so excited to see him next year. Agreed but he also played like dog**** in the 1st half.  Nagy has to do a better job of play calling in the situation to help his young QB out.

Howard had a good game yesterday when he ran the ball up the middle. Unfortunately Nagy wants guys who can be successful on stretches, counters, tosses, etc and that isn't Howard. I wish him well wherever he ends up.  I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Howard is gone next year.  He's going into the last year of his contract at a very affordable rate.  Plus you need someone who can replace him.  I love Tarik but he's not an every down back. 

Shaheen is fragile and not agile.  Shaheen really needs to pick up his game for next year because as of now he's not proving to be worth the 2nd round pick he was. Decent as a blocker but I thought they drafted this guy to be the next Gronk?

Parkey is the ****ing worst.  Not going to pin last night's loss on Parkey even though we all know that he is not very good. I just don't see how you can trust the guy going into next season.  Nagy appears to have had it with this guy.

Mack and Hicks didn't do what they had to do.  Disagree here.  They showed up big time in run support and generated what I thought was enough pressure against a very good o-line in order to allow the offense to take over and put the game away.

Fuller has to tackle better. His coverage of Alshon early was embarrassing. For as much as I dislike the guy nowadays, Alshon is a freak and has a full 5 inches on Fuller. I didn't think Fuller played bad, but he could have been better.  Philly has 3 really good receivers in Alshon, Tate and Agholor so for the most part I though the secondary held up pretty well.

Amos' stupid hit and then getting burnt on the Ertz TD sums up why some other team can overpay for him.  Stupid penalty no doubt. Without that would have been 4th down and no TD drive.  It was Goedert on the TD though no?  Other than that I though Amos had a good game.  That pick in the end zone was huge and prevented another TD so can't hate on him too much even though he has to play smarter.

36 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He played it perfect.  That was a virtually indefensible play in man with a well thrown ball.  They shouldn’t have been in man IMO. They always run that same action. Usually with a pick. That is on Fangio. Just have CB sitting on outside waiting in tight zone. You know spot they are targeting out of 5 wide inside 4.  I think Fangio thought Floyd would deflect it or disrupt it. 

Defense more than good enough to win, however, they were not as dominant as we have seen them recently. I would think this is a normal regression, I mean they gave up 1 TD in 4 straight games, we should of expected them to regress a bit.

Mitch played better than most first time playoff QBs. He had a bad first half, but come up when it mattered most. This experience is so valuable for Mitch and I'm glad he got it in year 2 of his career. If he is what we hope him to be we should expect to be back in the playoffs for a significant part of his career.

This game sucked, but we really had a hell of a season. I really hope Mitch takes the next year leap and we can be competitive year after year.

RT @Rich_Campbell: Bears did not make K Cody Parkey available to reporters today. Couldn't ask him about the NFL officially recognizing his FG miss as a blocked kick. 

CB Prince Amukamara on whether Parkey can continue with Bears: "I'm definitely glad I'm not the one making that decision."

me: in other words, "I hope not"

Archived