Tampa Bay set to hire Bruce Arians as HC

Broncofan

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

It seems some people believe that a HC's ability to put together quality staffs, to manage big personalities, to be able to pull a team out of adversity be it mid-season or coming off a bad season and get them back on the right track... those are all just easily found traits that should be assumed every hot, new name play-caller or QB coach has in spades, right?

Because those seem to be the qualities that a lot of the detractors of Arians appear to be discounting in this thread.  Barring one or two names from the available pool who , if we're being honest, Tampa (and most teams) didn't have a prayer of locking down, this is one of the two better hires they could have made.

Alot of assumptions going on in this post.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

A coach who is still living off a reputation from a single year behind the whole "Cards lost everyone and still won". 

I would not be happy about this signing.

He should've replaced Pagano when he stepped in as the interim HC back in 2012.

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'm also never a fan of bringing in old coaches(Fox, Gruden, etc)who are living off a past and expecting them work magic either.

As a rule I agree w/that.  But if I'm a TB fan I am stoked about the signing.

8 hours ago, Malfatron said:

whats all this i hear about the cardinals still hold his right because he retired?

They don't.  They declined his 2018 option (because he'd retired), so they have no claim to him or his rights.

20 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

He didn't have one DC thru that time tho. He had three iirc that got hired for other jobs because they were good (Horton, Bowled, and Betcher). And they just kept rolling along. And then as soon as he is not the coach anymore our D is absolutely terrible.

Horton wasn't there, he was a Wiz hire and Bowles is a very good DC. As well as Betcher. 

I concede to the fact I know nothing about Holcomb or his defense so it could be him -- both things can be true. However, all things considered I think you're being too harsh on the D. No, they're not a Betcher/Bowles top 5 defense anymore but look at the roster turnover this year compared to the last ~4. 

For example,
--Deon Bucannon averaged 840 defensive snaps a year from '14-'17 and played only 389 this season due to injury, again. 
--Cambell was a key cog on that defense, both production wise and leadership and now he's gone.
--Losing Nkem to injury was huge -- (FYI, the Cards defense were 12th in the league through the first 9 weeks but 25th in the last 8)
--Jefferson average 788 snaps from '14-'16 then leaves to FA(under Arians FYI) who signed with BAL and flourishes this year on one of the best defenses in the league while playing 863 snaps. 
--Likewise for Matheui (sp?) who has played well on a top defense in HOU.
---Swearinger who --while not making smart decisions-- played well in WAS.

I mean, you can't count on players such as Amerson and expect to get good results. Guys like him shouldn't even be in the NFL -- no hyperbole.

To disregard any of these factors would be disingenuous to say the least. With a turnover rate like that and expecting them to be the same top 5 defense as previous years is not realistic. Especially during a transition year switching from the 3-4 (hybrid) to the 4-3.

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

He should've replaced Pagano when he stepped in as the interim HC back in 2012.

LOL. Wait, what? This is WAY left field because Irsay was not ever going to replace Pagano. Arians was only stepping in because Pagano was diagnosed with leukemia. Arians was made interim from Pagano because of the long history between them dating back to the 00's. The same reason Arians brought in Bowles to be the DC (Pagano, Arians and Bowles all have CLE ties). Who in turn, brought in Betcher, who also served under Pagano, and happened to also later become Bowles successor when he left for NY.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But whatever, I'll play along. 

Based on what, his 9-3 record in the worst division in football? 

What would have been the difference between him and Pagano? You would still had a QB (Luck) who would continue to highly benefit from playing in a weak division to only fall back to earth against other opponents for the next 3 years. It's not as if Arians is some QB guru and he damn sure is not a good OC or play-caller.

This sounds like another case of someone looking at a teams final record and giving all credit the HC while ignoring other factors. Yet these same people have spent the last decade making jokes about the Bengals (rightfully so) for keeping Marvin but he has the winz? 

Reminds me so much of JDR's career. People were enamoured by his "success" in JAX calling him a "defensive genius", great leader, etc. Then it quickly changed from that to JDR becoming a running joke. All of this because most people didn't realize that had it not been for Mike Brown, JDR would have most likely been out of the league long ago.

People pretending like Arians is this great motivational coach who is the sole reason for success (despite not being able to carry his own weight in the facet he is known for) are completely forgetting about him throwing his own team under the bus. 

I just don't get it personally. But to each his own I guess. 

Archived