Secondary Going forward

IrishHooligan00

Whats everyones thoughts on our secondary going forward.

I love how Rasuul has been playing, I think he's earned a starting role next year.

I love how maddox has been playing, just not liking how he looking like jalen mills biting on double moves.

Sidney hope he can come back healthy. 

Le'Blanc has been a suprise, like robinson last year. Just hasn't made the big plays yet.

Jalen Mills? Starter again, Depth or gone? I think depth only

Ronald Dary? Return, or gone? I think Gone, I haven't liked him at all. 

McCloud? Keep or Realease? Hopefully release

Graham? HE def gone IMO. 

Is corner or safety a priority next year? Draft or FA?  or you ok with what we got moving forward?

I think we need to look at Safety so we can keep Douglas and Maddox outside with Jones/Leblanc in the slot if healthy

Thoughts?

Theyll probably have Rasul and Sydney on the outside. Le'Blanc has manned the slot pretty well and move Maddox to Safety cutting McCleod

I dont think Mills is a free agent so he'll be back to compete for starting job. 

Personally I want to see more of Maddox on the outside. Feel like hes the corner we've been waiting for

Why hopefully release McLeod? If anything this season has shown how underappreciated he is. Boy do we need our starting FS back. We have no one who can play center field since he went down and Graham is slow as hell on his role. What better option do we have going forward

I think the sooner the coaching staff realizes Jalen Mills is a safety the better off we will be. He covers TE well, is good coming down to tackle, understands zone overlaps. It is time for Jenkins to take him under his wing, but it may be too late because where he is on his contract.

Our starting CBs should be Rasul and Jones on the outside and Maddox at nickel where we can take advantage of his quickness and instincts and he will always have safety help. We might even see that this Sunday.

Mills probably gets one more season.

Time to move on from McLeod in my opinion. Please move Rasul Douglas to FS full time. It makes too much sense. Darby is gone. He's not worth the money he's likely to get on the market.

LeBlanc Maddox Mills Jones and a Rookie is what I expect to see next season, + maybe 1 low end FA signee.

Just now, Danger said:

Mills probably gets one more season.

Time to move on from McLeod in my opinion. Please move Rasul Douglas to FS full time. It makes too much sense. Darby is gone. He's not worth the money he's likely to get on the market.

LeBlanc Maddox Mills Jones and a Rookie is what I expect to see next season, + maybe 1 low end FA signee.

I think Rasul is a very good cover 3 CB in the Marcus Peters mold. 

Just now, Broadway Joe said:

I think Rasul is a very good cover 3 CB in the Marcus Peters mold. 

Rasul Douglas is phenomenal until he gets turned around. When he has his back to the LOS he struggles. He's a natural ballhawk and has a great size and frame. He's the perfect fit for Safety.

I really don’t understand this cut McLeod crowd.....like at all. 

Ideally for me the starting secondary is

LCB- Sidney Jones/Jalen Mills

RCB- Rasul Douglas/Veteran that they sign

SCB- Avante Maddox/Cre’Veon Leblanc 

FS- Rodney McLeod/Jalen Mills

SS- Malcolm Jenkins/Rookie 

Mills takes over the CB/S Corey Graham hybrid role 

I think the 1 thing that mostly everyone can agree on, is that our starting CB depth going forward looks strong. Mills, Maddox, LeBlanc, Douglas and Jones. I'd feel comfortable with any 3-man combination of those 5 starting next season.

If I could have it my way? LCB- Maddox, RCB- Douglas, SCB- Jones, SS- Jenkins, FS- McLeod. LeBlanc and Mills as super backups.

5 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

We first need to know what Sidney is. We know he is talented but the guy is already two years behind in his development. He very well may be too fragile for the game.

Agree. That is why you got to go out and get a decent mid tier vet to protect yourself. But Darby will cost too much I think

6 hours ago, Danger said:

Rasul Douglas is phenomenal until he gets turned around. When he has his back to the LOS he struggles. He's a natural ballhawk and has a great size and frame. He's the perfect fit for Safety.

I agree and he has tackled very well this year. Seems like a natural fit at S.

I see Douglas taking over for Jenkins maybe not next year but eventually he plays well near the LOS. There’s a reason they didn’t put him as the team’s CF safety.  

Maddox and LeBlanc fighting it out as that nickel guy 

Mills/Jones on the outside. Maddox/Douglas can jump outside when one gets hurt. 

Unfortunately Darby got hurt in a contract year and we don’t have the funds unless we move on from some pieces. 

Such an interesting area. For how inexperienced and young these dudes are you can't help but be impressed with how they've performed. I have no idea how it's gonna shake out, but it's gonna be swell going into camp with 7/8 DB's with starting experience. Makes a change. 

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I see Douglas taking over for Jenkins maybe not next year but eventually he plays well near the LOS. There’s a reason they didn’t put him as the team’s CF safety.

Couldn't disagree more. Rasul struggles whenever he has to put his back to the QB. He also has the ballhawking mentality. He would be much better suited at CF safety rather than having to turn around to catch up to receivers that run by him. He's not a hard hitter.

Archived