On the Clock

onejayhawk

Just now, samsel23 said:

Not seeing any value at Edge at pick 29,  all the top guys are almost always gone, most other are Round 2/3 projects.  Edge was a top priority, but at 29 there isn’t much there.   Disagree on CGJ, he’s a game changer in multi facets.  Not sure FS is that great of a need, but him or Adderley would let Honey Badger roam freely 

Picks 25-45 has a ton of value in this draft.  Once you start getting above pick 50the quality starts to drop off.  

If the draft is Edge happy, and they often are, then lines or skill positions open up. 

We are somewhat in agreement. I think the big tier is more in the 35-55 range. Part of that is the tendency to reach for Edge and QB. Regardless, I would be upset with CGJ or Adderly at #29. Ten picks later, not so much.

J

Just now, onejayhawk said:

If the draft is Edge happy, and they often are, then lines or skill positions open up. 

We are somewhat in agreement. I think the big tier is more in the 35-55 range. Part of that is the tendency to reach for Edge and QB. Regardless, I would be upset with CGJ or Adderly at #29. Ten picks later, not so much.

J

Agreed.  I think we are going to have trouble trading back from 29 though since the pocket(Veach term I guess) is starting around our pick.    CGJ i’d Be pretty ecstatic about in the first.  Adderley would just be alright, agreed it’s a reach, although I don’t think it’s a big one.  Only way I see a trade down option being available is if a DT or Edge drop and in that case I’d much rather take them.

Our pick is perfectly placed for QB seeking teams. Say the Giants don't like what is left at #6 but have an interest in Will Grier. Trading up 9 slots will only cost them a 4th round pick and some small change. The Dolphins have little chance for a prime QB at #13, but their 2nd and 3rd would be about right for #29. The thing is that Denver may be reluctant to approach us or SD at #28, so other teams could see an opportunity. Draft day dynamics are always interesting.

J

Pro Football Focus big board, same, difficult settings:

Trade 29 for extra picks: Chiefs can plug more holes on defense and get quality backup help.

49: R2P17 RB JOSH JACOBS ALABAMA

61: R2P29 S CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON FLORIDA

63: R2P31 CB ROCK YA-SIN TEMPLE

80: R3P16 C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M

92: R3P28 Te JACE STERNBERGER TEXAS A&M

110: R4P8 EDGE D'ANDRE WALKER GEORGIA

149: R5P11 CB JORDAN BROWN SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

167: R5P29 EDGE JORDAN BRAILFORD OKLAHOMA STATE

201: R6P28 WR GARY JENNINGS WVU

214: R6P41 DL DONTAVIUS RUSSELL AUBURN

216: R7P2 LB JAHLANI TAVAI HAWAII

TRADES

TRADE PARTNER:  CINCINNATI BENGALS

Chiefs SENT:  ROUND: 1 PICK: 29

Chiefs RECEIVED:  ROUND: 2 PICK: 10,  ROUND: 4 PICK: 8,  ROUND: 5 PICK: 11

TRADE PARTNER:  CLEVELAND BROWNS

Chiefs SENT:  ROUND: 2 PICK: 10

Chiefs RECEIVED:  ROUND: 2 PICK: 17,  ROUND: 3 PICK: 16

Edited by mayanfootball

Lots of chatter about us and Frank Clark. Would have to trade for him AND work out a large contract. I'm more into the building through the draft but I can see the appeal. Rumor is Seattle wants a high 1 but I think we all know that's not happening. From the compensation aspect: If we can keep our 1 and trade one of the 2s I'd be all for it but the contract talk is scary. I'm sure he's gonna want 17-20 per year. Icky, let's draft Instead. Right?

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Lots of chatter about us and Frank Clark. Would have to trade for him AND work out a large contract. I'm more into the building through the draft but I can see the appeal. Rumor is Seattle wants a high 1 but I think we all know that's not happening. From the compensation aspect: If we can keep our 1 and trade one of the 2s I'd be all for it but the contract talk is scary. I'm sure he's gonna want 17-20 per year. Icky, let's draft Instead. Right?

I'd be all for trading for Clark if we trade one of our seconds but not the first let only a first and a second like Peter King did in his mock draft. That is insane amount to give up especially when you have to pay him a big contract. We traded Ford for a second round pick, and Clark is not that much better and has more of a troubling back ground.

• Like 2

Post Fred Clark draft:

63: R2P31 C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M

84: R3P20 S DARNELL SAVAGE, JR. MARYLAND

95: R3P31 CB DAVID LONG MICHIGAN

132: R4P30 WR GARY JENNINGS WEST VIRGINIA

167: R5P29 DL KHALEN SAUNDERS WESTERN ILLINOIS

171: R5P33 DL CHRIS SLAYTON SYRACUSE

201: R6P28 CB JORDAN BROWN SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

214: R6P41 WR ALEX WESLEY NORTHERN COLORADO

216: R7P2 TE CJ CONRAD KENTUCKY

232: R7P18  OT TREY PIPKINS SIOUX FALLS

245: R7P31 WR TERRY GODWIN GEORGIA

TRADES

TRADE PARTNER:  NEW YORK GIANTS

CHIEFS SENT:  ROUND: 2 PICK: 29

CHIEFS RECEIVED:  ROUND: 3 PICK: 31, ROUND: 4 PICK: 30, ROUND: 5 PICK: 33, ROUND: 7 PICK: 18, , ROUND: 7 PICK: 31,  FUTURE ROUND 3 PICK