On the Clock

onejayhawk

On 1/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, onejayhawk said:

Several new rankings have come out and the pace will increase after the Senior Bowl. Call this one the Double D draft, since we get both of Georgia's D-Andres.

29:  CB DEANDRE BAKER GEORGIA
61:  ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE
64:  LB D'ANDRE WALKER GEORGIA
92:  RB MILES SANDERS PENN STATE

Same settings but a different LB and a nice S.
29: CB DEANDRE BAKER GEORGIA
61: LB DEVIN BUSH MICHIGAN
64: JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA
92: RB DAVID MONTGOMERY IOWA STATE

I would love to have the second draft you listed here; that would help set up this defensive nicely.

NFL Mock and Draft Utopia have new rankings up. One of each, Fanspeak needs, Difficult

Mocking

29:  DL JEFFERY SIMMONS MISSISSIPPI ST

61:  OT YODNY CAJUSTE WEST VIRGINIA
64:  JAQUAN JOHNSON MIAMI (FL)
92:  LB TE'VON CONEY NOTRE DAME
Utopian
29:  EDGE ZACH ALLEN BOSTON COLLEGE
61:  CB JULIAN LOVE NOTRE DAME
64: C ROSS PIERSCHBACHER ALABAMA
92:  RB DAVID MONTGOMERY IOWA STATE

5 round draft with a trade:
29: R1P29 LB DEVIN BUSH MICHIGAN
61: R2P29 EDGE CHASE WINOVICH MICHIGAN
77: R3P13 C DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE
92: R3P28 CB COREY BALLENTINE WASHBURN
99: R3P35 S JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA
168: R5P29 S WILL HARRIS BOSTON COLLEGE

TRADES
CAROLINA PANTHERS
Chiefs SENT: ROUND: 2 PICK: 32
Chiefs RECEIVED: ROUND: 3 PICK: 13; ROUND: 3 PICK: 35
Edited by mayanfootball

12 hours ago, mayanfootball said:
5 round draft with a trade:
29: R1P29 LB DEVIN BUSH MICHIGAN
61: R2P29 EDGE CHASE WINOVICH MICHIGAN
77: R3P13 C DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE
92: R3P28 CB COREY BALLENTINE WASHBURN
99: R3P35 S JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA
168: R5P29 S WILL HARRIS BOSTON COLLEGE

TRADES
CAROLINA PANTHERS
Chiefs SENT: ROUND: 2 PICK: 32
Chiefs RECEIVED: ROUND: 3 PICK: 13; ROUND: 3 PICK: 35

Might be your best trade, I like it.

Bush, Thornhill, and Risner are excellent picks 

Chiefs were weak at WR except for Hill and occasionally Watkins. Harris, TE was terrible so I decided to give Mahomes another weapon, Hockenson. He can catch and block, so cut Harris. This is a killer 2 TE set with Kelce, Hockenson (maybe split 1 out wide) Drafted a new FS and SS, new LB's, a rusher and developmental OT; New Center to strengthen the Oline in the middle.

6rds., big board Steve (updated), multiple, 2 trades:

29: R1P29 TE T.J. HOCKENSON IOWA

61: R2P29 FS CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON FLORIDA

68: R3P4 C ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE

92: R3P28 EDGE D'ANDRE WALKER GEORGIA

108: R4P6 LB TREVON CONEY NOTRE DAME

132: R4P30 OT TYTUS HOWARD ALABAMA STATE

168: R5P29 CB COREY BALLENTINE WASHBURN

203: R6P28 SS AMANI HOOKER IOWA

215: R6P40 LB CAMERON SMITH USC

TRADES
NEW YORK GIANTS
SENT: ROUND: 3 PICK: 29
RECEIVED: ROUND: 4 PICK: 6, ROUND: 4 PICK: 30
NEW YORK JETS
SENT: ROUND: 2 PICK: 31
RECEIVED: ROUND: 3 PICK: 4, ROUND: 3 PICK: 29
Edited by mayanfootball

The post Combine rankings are starting to dribble in. This is NFL Mock list and needs, difficult. Value abounds.

29:  DL ZACH ALLEN BOSTON COLLEGE
61:  LB GERMAINE PRATT N.C. STATE
63:  NASIR ADDERLEY DELAWARE
92:  RB JUSTICE HILL OKLAHOMA STATE
Draftek, Fanspeak needs, difficult.
29: CB TRAYVON MULLEN CLEMSON
61:  LB MACK WILSON ALABAMA
63: ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI ST
92: RB DEVIN SINGLETARY FLORIDA ATLANTIC
Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

I just can't get behind a heavy OL draft. This draft is ripe with all defensive positions, WR, and TE. Going for OL and RB just seems like reaching to me for a future need.

Starting the 2018 season we kept 9 OL: Eric Fisher, Cam Erving, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Mitch Schwartz, Andrew Wylie, Bryan Witzmann, Jordan Devey, and Kahlil McKenzie. If we draft 3 OL who are we cutting?

Fisher, LDT, Schwartz, Erving, Reiter, McKenzie, Wylie, Murray, Murphy, Koroma, or Hunter? Do we re-sign Devey, Allen, or Morse?

Fisher, Erving, Reiter, LDT, Schwartz is most likely our starting group in 2019. So that's 5 spots plus they're all signed through 2020, with some longer.

McKenzie was kept inactive all year so they must like him, Wylie did a good before injury which gives us a total of 7.

That leaves 2 slots for 4 guys already on the roster plus anyone we draft or sign. So, I really can't get behind or like a draft that is OL heavy.

You know what we do need on offense? We need to draft  WR(s). After this year the only WRs under contract are Watkins and Pringle. If we cut Watkins next year we will save 14mil against the cap. We need to either re-sign our WR or draft replacements asap.

4 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I just can't get behind a heavy OL draft. This draft is ripe with all defensive positions, WR, and TE. Going for OL and RB just seems like reaching to me for a future need.

Starting the 2018 season we kept 9 OL: Eric Fisher, Cam Erving, Mitch Morse, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Mitch Schwartz, Andrew Wylie, Bryan Witzmann, Jordan Devey, and Kahlil McKenzie. If we draft 3 OL who are we cutting?

Fisher, LDT, Schwartz, Erving, Reiter, McKenzie, Wylie, Murray, Murphy, Koroma, or Hunter? Do we re-sign Devey, Allen, or Morse?

Fisher, Erving, Reiter, LDT, Schwartz is most likely our starting group in 2019. So that's 5 spots plus they're all signed through 2020, with some longer.

McKenzie was kept inactive all year so they must like him, Wylie did a good before injury which gives us a total of 7.

That leaves 2 slots for 4 guys already on the roster plus anyone we draft or sign. So, I really can't get behind or like a draft that is OL heavy.

You know what we do need on offense? We need to draft  WR(s). After this year the only WRs under contract are Watkins and Pringle. If we cut Watkins next year we will save 14mil against the cap. We need to either re-sign our WR or draft replacements asap.

Heavy OL? Not so much. One thing the Pats demonstrated was our need to strengthen the interior Oline. We need a new Center. Morse suffers too many concussions, which leaves our Oline vulnerable.  E. Jenkins is a plug n play Center.

We need an OG at LG to replace either Jeff Allen or Cam Erving. M. Jordan is a nice fit at OG and a Center backup. Erving is backup across the Oline (except C). Our weakest OT is E.Fisher. Trey Pipkens is a big, developmental OT. Fisher should not be resigned IMO (will help the CAP too).

To answer your question "who are we cutting"? Morse, Murray and Koroma at Center. Allen (good run blocking, weak at PP)and Devey (old at 31 now). That's 5 spots open. The starting Oline is Fisher, M.Jordan, E.Jenkins, LDT and Schwartz. Backups are McKenzie, Erving at OG, Reiter at C, and Andrew Wylie at OT. Pipkens goes to the PS. That leaves 9 OL on board.

Benny Snell is a quality replacement for K.Hunt. I drafted Gary Jennings at WR. He's good. Let's see if he can be great. Yes, I'd lose Sammy Watkins and would not resign. So we'd have T.Hill, S. Watkins, Chris Conley, D. Robinson, Gary Jennings, Marcus Kemp, (probably Kelvin Benjamin, Pringle and Gehrig Deiter). That's 9 WR's on board. We can change/drop the last (3).   To cut and use FA this year and the draft, FA next year, will change the makeup.

I generally agree with you about the WR grouping and will look closer at this as time progresses. However the Interior Oline and Defense needed to be addressed in this upcoming draft. Therefore my attention was drawn to these areas.

4 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Heavy OL? Not so much.

3 out of 9 picks...

To answer your question "who are we cutting"? Morse, Murray and Koroma at Center. Allen (good run blocking, weak at PP)and Devey (old at 31 now). That's 5 spots open. The starting Oline is Fisher, M.Jordan, E.Jenkins, LDT and Schwartz. Backups are McKenzie, Erving at OG, Reiter at C, and Andrew Wylie at OT. Pipkens goes to the PS. That leaves 9 OL on board.

Morse, Allen, and Devey are FA, I did not include them in my 7. Murray and Koroma I can see being cut though. Why draft Pipkens with the intent of cutting him and hoping he makes it to the PS?

Our weakest OT is E.Fisher. Trey Pipkens is a big, developmental OT. Fisher should not be resigned IMO (will help the CAP too).

Fisher is signed through 2021. His deal, for a LT, is pretty good. Unless his play significantly drops and/or we stumble onto a great LT, I can't see any reason to cut him. Is saving 7mil worth having an unknown at LT?

So we'd have T.Hill, S. Watkins, Chris Conley, D. Robinson, Gary Jennings, Marcus Kemp, (probably Kelvin Benjamin, Pringle and Gehrig Deiter). That's 9 WR's on board. We can change/drop the last (3).

Not quite. Next year we have Hill, Watikins, Robinson, Dieter, and Pringle. The rest are free agents. Then as I said, the following year it is just Watkins and Pringle.

I generally like to bring 2 Rookie OL with starting “traits” each offseason.  I wouldn’t mind grabbing a couple in the draft, but not 2 early.  McKenzie, Murray, and also Hunter have a skill set that translates well to how our OL play on the interior.   All have length and quick feet, McKenzie being the only one that would be a power guy though.

I wouldn’t mind a couple OT projects, but I don’t see the need for more than 1 interior.  Let those 3 run the 2nd team at LG, C, and RG and see how they work together.  

Edited by samsel23

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Why draft Pipkens with the intent of cutting him and hoping he makes it to the PS?

He handled himself well at the Senior Bowl. Seasoning on the PS is needed. He's also injury insurance.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Not quite. Next year we have Hill, Watikins, Robinson, Dieter, and Pringle. The rest are free agents. Then as I said, the following year it is just Watkins and Pringle.

I suspect we'll make offers to Chris Conley and Marcus Kemp. Add Gary Jennings/draft and maybe a FA? I'm ok this year with that. I'm pretty sure we're not letting Ty Hill escape. We can add more DP's and FA's next year.