On the Clock

onejayhawk

14 hours ago, samsel23 said:

I generally like to bring 2 Rookie OL with starting “traits” each offseason.  I wouldn’t mind grabbing a couple in the draft, but not 2 early.  

I like Jenkins/Jordan to start. They'll be better than Morse and Allen/Erving. Jenkins was the best OC in the draft. Jordan is big and versatile having played 2 years OG and 1 year Center at Ohio State. Here's a quote from a WFNY article:

Even though he had remaining eligibility, Jordan had plenty of experience. He is the first Ohio State offensive linemen to leave for the NFL after just three years as a Buckeye since Orlando Pace in 1997. It’s not a coincidence that he was also the first offensive lineman to start as a true freshman since Pace did so 23 years ago. After starting every game during his three-year career in Columbus, Jordan can only hope that he has as much success at the next level as Pace did. If so, he’s in for a very, very good and long career in the NFL. the All-American believes he has the experience and the skill to be successful at the next level.

https://waitingfornextyear.com/2019/01/ohio-state-buckeyes-michael-jordan-offensive-line-linemen/

I won't go so far as to claim Jordan is the 2nd. coming of Orlando Pace, but he's got a good start. Jordan is not a brawler or power guard, but he can pull and reposition nicely, seal off defenders and pass block on roll-outs. He's athletic. This is what Reid and Mahomes need, IMO.

Edited by mayanfootball

We need to draft or sign a C. That much is known. It does not seem a draft to do much else on the OL. It is a deep draft for DL particularly DT, so I can see waiting on one of those. 

All that said, what seems to be falling to us are Ss and TEs. Much as I love Noah Fant, I went the other way this time. Composite/NFL Draft needs/Difficult.

29: DEIONTE THOMPSON ALABAMA
61: RB DAVID MONTGOMERY IOWA STATE
63: GARRETT BRADBURY NC STATE
92: LB GERMAINE PRATT NC STATE
Just let the draft come to you and you can do well, or at least well enough.
J

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We need to draft or sign a C. That much is known. It does not seem a draft to do much else on the OL. It is a deep draft for DL particularly DT, so I can see waiting on one of those. 

All that said, what seems to be falling to us are Ss and TEs. Much as I love Noah Fant, I went the other way this time. Composite/NFL Draft needs/Difficult.

29: DEIONTE THOMPSON ALABAMA
61: RB DAVID MONTGOMERY IOWA STATE
63: GARRETT BRADBURY NC STATE
92: LB GERMAINE PRATT NC STATE
Just let the draft come to you and you can do well, or at least well enough.
J

I'm ok with Thompson. His diving into the ball carrier type tackling scares me. He doesn't wrap up. Montgomery/RB is too early for my liking. Maybe if he was to start, but nobody goes ahead of Damien Williams. If he stays healthy, Williams could be starting for quite awhile. Montgomery will vegitate on the bench.

Bradbury is nowhere near a E.Jenkins or M.Johnson (who I'd prefer at LG) IMO. Pratt I was high on but have since come down off of.

Who was your big board user? I'm finding Steve (fanspeak) and Bleacher Report are the better big boards to use. They seem to be more realistic to where the draft will go.

Edited by mayanfootball

No trade draft: 7rds., (Matt Miller, Bleacher Report, big board), multiple, difficult settings:

29: R1P29 FS NASIR ADDERLEY DELAWARE

61: R2P29 DT DEXTER LAWRENCE CLEMSON

63: R2P31 SS JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA

92: R3P28 C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M

167: R5P29 CB HAMP CHEEVERS BOSTON COLLEGE

201: R6P28 WR GARY JENNINGS WEST VIRGINIA

214: R6P41 DT RENELL WREN ARIZONA ST

216: R7P2 WR ANTHONY RATLIFF-WILLIAMS NORTH CAROLINA

Edited by mayanfootball

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

No trade draft: 7rds., (Matt Miller, Bleacher Report, big board), multiple, difficult settings:

29: R1P29 FS NASIR ADDERLEY DELAWARE

61: R2P29 DT DEXTER LAWRENCE CLEMSON

63: R2P31 SS JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA

92: R3P28 C ERIK MCCOY TEXAS A&M

167: R5P29 CB HAMP CHEEVERS BOSTON COLLEGE

201: R6P28 WR GARY JENNINGS WEST VIRGINIA

214: R6P41 DT RENELL WREN ARIZONA ST

216: R7P2 WR ANTHONY RATLIFF-WILLIAMS NORTH CAROLINA

That would be a great draft. I would add in a pass rusher by I like this draft!

30 minutes ago, Bullyball said:

That would be a great draft. I would add in a pass rusher by I like this draft!

I differ. While I can see spending three picks on the secondary, not two of the first three.

Adderly is a fine pick in the second round, but he's no Deionte Thompson. That said, I like Thornhill at any point after #80. 

Getting a startable C in round two is likely and possible in round three. I would hope for better than McCoy, even if you have to give up Lawrence or Thornhill.

Getting a usable depth at CB is marginal in round #5. I would much rather take a CB than reach for Adderly. If NA is your guy, trade back ten picks.

Here is my latest (completely unrealistic) attempt. Bleacher/FG/Difficult

29: DL JEFFERY SIMMONS MISSISSIPPI STATE
61:  LB MACK WILSON ALABAMA
63:  CHAUNCEY GARDNER-JOHNSON FLORIDA
92:  CB AMANI ORUWARIYE PENN STATE
Same settings, just as unrealistic.
29:  TE TJ HOCKENSON IOWA
61: ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE
63: RB DEVIN SINGLETARY FLORIDA ATLANTIC
92: WR JJ ARCEGA-WHITESIDE STANFORD
Mix the two and I take Simmons (duh), Jenkins, Gardner-Johnson, toss a coin. 
J

Edited by onejayhawk

7 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I differ. While I can see spending three picks on the secondary, not two of the first three.

Adderly is a fine pick in the second round, but he's no Deionte Thompson. That said, I like Thornhill at any point after #80. 

Getting a startable C in round two is likely and possible in round three. I would hope for better than McCoy, even if you have to give up Lawrence or Thornhill.

Getting a usable depth at CB is marginal in round #5. I would much rather take a CB than reach for Adderly. If NA is your guy, trade back ten picks.

J

Deionte Thompson has potential and I would definitely consider him with our pick if the Cheifs staff thinks they can work out the kinks in his game; but I would not act like he's so much better than Adderly especially after the first quarter of the season, he was terrible; he took horrible angles, blew coverages and missed tackles. Adderly played low competition which is a concern but has great range and coverage skills; If there is no Corners(Byron, Greedy, Deandre) on the board worth taking, I'm strongly consider taking Adderly or Deionte(if the staff think they can iron out the kinks). 

New lists are out. This us straight Fanspeak at difficult. I had to pass over one of my favorite players, Noah Fant, but Cajuste is too good to miss. 

29: OT YODNY CAJUSTE WVU
61:  JUAN THORNHILL UVA
63:  CB MICHAEL JACKSON MIAMI
92:  ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE
J

29: R1P29

S NASIR ADDERLEY
DELAWARE
61: R2P29

CB JOEJUAN WILLIAMS
VANDERBILT
63: R2P31

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE
PENN STATE
92: R3P28

C GARRETT BRADBURY
NC STATE
167: R5P29

DL RENELL WREN
ARIZONA ST
201: R6P28

EDGE SUTTON SMITH
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
214: R6P41

EDGE CARL GRANDERSON
WYOMING

On 2/27/2019 at 8:03 PM, Bullyball said:
29: R1P29

S NASIR ADDERLEY
DELAWARE
61: R2P29

CB JOEJUAN WILLIAMS
VANDERBILT
63: R2P31

CB AMANI ORUWARIYE
PENN STATE
92: R3P28

C GARRETT BRADBURY
NC STATE
167: R5P29

DL RENELL WREN
ARIZONA ST
201: R6P28

EDGE SUTTON SMITH
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
214: R6P41

EDGE CARL GRANDERSON
WYOMING

Good CB's but we need Safeties maybe more. Eric Berry won't be playing and we don't really have anyone who can step up and start, at least confidently and with competence. I'd rather have a FS, SS and one CB in the draft.

• Like 1

KC needs to trade it's first round pick and one of their 2nd. rd. picks to move up and get Dalton Risner, OT/OC, Kansas State. Risner is rocketing up the boards and is now out of KC's reach. I think Risner is that important to solidifying the Chiefs Oline. Risner would be the Chiefs starting Center. I've recently done just this and our first 3 picks fell as thus:

1: R1P21 OT DALTON RISNER KANSAS STATE

2: R2P31 S JUAN THORNHILL VIRGINIA

3: R3P28 CB COREY BALLENTINE WASHBURN

Edited by mayanfootball

Guys, please at least put your post onto one line per pick. It's too hard to read full length. 

Trading out of the first round is a good option unless there is a slider to grab. Trading up is more problematic. One thing the Patriots have proven over the last 15 years is that the talent in the second round is more consistently worth the pick.

Risner, to be specific, is not worth a late first and a late second round player. Thornhill is only OK the 2nd. I would hate that draft. Using the 1st on the best CB and the two 2nds on a C and a S makes much more sense.

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Guys, please at least put your post onto one line per pick. It's too hard to read full length. 

Trading out of the first round is a good option unless there is a slider to grab. Trading up is more problematic. One thing the Patriots have proven over the last 15 years is that the talent in the second round is more consistently worth the pick.

Risner, to be specific, is not worth a late first and a late second round player. Thornhill is only OK the 2nd. I would hate that draft. Using the 1st on the best CB and the two 2nds on a C and a S makes much more sense.

J

Trading up is not my style. However, there will be no way to get Risner without trading up. Is he worth it? That's the "millions $ for 5 years" question.

As for " Using the 1st on the best CB", I think not. Many good CB's are to be had later. I'd much rather draft "beef" early and go DT or edge rusher. Then too, I'd rather have a Safety early. We really have nobody I'm comfortable with. Eric Berry is done IMO.

Edited by mayanfootball

CB is a premium position, so "Many good CB's are to be had later." is a fantasy. Like any position, value is important. Risner is not going to be a good value for us. It is not like he would be the difference between a Super Bowl team and missing the playoffs. 

J