1. 1. Top Draft Need (Not Including QB)

• WR
    • LG
    • MLB
    • OLB
    • CB
    • S

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We didn't have a broken QB in September, not one person in the USA could've predicted Alex would break his leg in two.

No, but they had a 34 year old quarterback and any doctor will tell you it is harder to recover from injuries the older you get and that minor injuries stack up longer. So, while no one could foresee Theismann Part Deux, there was a non-trivial chance Smith would miss significant time due to injuries.

We were 6-3 when Alex broke his Leg, we finished the season 1-5, coincidence... I think not personally. CT said so in an interview, he said that after Alex broke his leg that the whole team unravled, lost its leader and its way.

1. We were 6-4 under Smith (he gets the Houston loss).
  2. DVOA for Washington's pass game
    • Weeks 1-9: 22nd
    • Weeks 10-17: 31st
      So, while there was drop off going from Smith to the rest of the clown car, it wasn't like the team was lighting it up when Smith was under center
  3. The loss of one guy making the entire team unravel is an indictment on the roster construction and coaching staff. Yes, it is the most important position on the team, but still.

And if our offense had been healthy this year w/ Crowder, CT, Scherff & PRich staying more healthy, we probably would’ve won the division.

1. "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." -- Don Meredith
  2. Even if this were true, the Redskins would likely get smoked by the LA Rams or New Orleans Saints (this assumes they would defeat the Seahawks in wild card weekend). So ... yay?

It’s a shame Alex got hurt, because the analysis done by people who watch a lot of film is that as the season went on, Alex was getting more comfortable and playing better in Gruden’s offense.

So, perhaps in 2019 if Alex was healthy and our Offense had stayed more healthy than the last two years we would have won 10 or 11 games next year, but sadly well never know.

More comfortable? Maybe. Playing better? No.

• Rankings of offensive DVOA by week
    1. at Arizona = 13th
    2. vs Indianapolis = 27th
    3. vs Green Bay = 5th
    4. BYE
    5. at New Orleans = 22nd (out of 30 (excluding teams on bye))
    6. vs Carolina = 21st (out of 30)
    7. vs Dallas = 17th (out of 28)
    8. at NY Giants = 16th (out of 28)
    9. vs Atlanta = 15th (out of 26)
    10. at Tampa Bay = 20th (out of 28)
    11. vs Houston = 21st (out of 26)

12. at Dallas = 28th (out of 30)
    13. at Philadelphia = 32nd
    14. vs NY Giants = 32nd
    15. at Jacksonville = 24th
    16. at Tennessee = 21st
    17. vs Philadelphia = inexplicably missing from their stats ... perhaps it was so bad that they removed it due on the grounds it must have been bad data? Sufficed to say, the rank would not be good (the Eagles had the second best defensive DVOA that week).

Only twice was the offense in the top half of the league in any given week.

But, maybe that's due to the running game dying.

So, how many weeks did Washington have a passing DVOA under Smith:

• greater than 50%? Once: week 3 versus Green Bay (65.9%)
  • greater than or equal to 40% but less than 50%? Zero times
  • greater than or equal to 30% but less than 40%? Twice: week 7 versus Dallas (38.8%) and week 8 versus NY Giants (30.6%)
  • greater than or equal to 20% but less than 30%? Once: week 1 versus Arizona (28.4%)
  • greater than or equal to 10% but less than 20%? Once: week 2 versus Indianapolis (12.3%)

The rest were less than 5% (games with Smith: week 9 vs Atlanta (3.7%), week 10 at Tampa Bay (1.4%), week 5 at New Orleans (-32.8%), and week 6 vs Carolina (-37.7%)).

The Redskins did have one other week that was positive: week 15 versus Jacksonville (19.7%) under Josh Johnson. That performance gave parts of the fanbase false hope and ruined the team's eventual draft position.

So, no, he wasn't getting better.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:30 PM, turtle28 said:

Top Need is the LG position but I don't think we should take that position in round 1. I've always seen OG/C/RT as positions I’d like to see us address in rounds 2-4.

Now that's not always possible, if Cody Ford is the BPA on the board in round 1, then we should definitely take him in round 1 but I’d rather take a CB, ILB, OLB, QB, or WR in no particular order and then draft the best LG on the board - if there is one worthy of the selection - in round 2.

If I could go back and take Quenton Nelson last year, woudl have been ecstatic. 

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Just realized T E was not on the options list. I would love to draft one in the first 3 rounds ! We're very thin at that position .

I was going for first round need.  I doubt we go TE in the first round this year.  

14 hours ago, mike23md said:

If I could go back and take Quenton Nelson last year, woudl have been ecstatic. 

Me too, eventhough I hate the idea of having two OGs that will eventually make LT $. I guess if we had drafted him and lost him or Scherff in 5/6 years we could get a compensatory pick for them though and it’d be cool to get a 3rd bc we lost a guard.

6 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I went OLB over left guard only because it’s a much harder position to fill. Plenty of guards available in round 2/3. Also because I’m not keen on resigning Preston. 

It’s also easier to draft a 2nd round or mid round OG who will start than to find another OLB who can get 8 sacks a year and an int or 2 a year and get consistent pressure.

Point being, we did this with Orakpo, we overthought the situation IMO, and went looking for perfection at the position instead of being satisfied with a good, but not great ROLB. We didn’t keep Rak bc the front office thought the grass would be greener w/o him and 5 years later we’re  talking about needing to draft/sign a 5th OLB to try to replace what we once had in Orakpo. It’s quite a tiresome process/discussion.

It really sucks that Galette didn’t sign the contract we offered him last March, we could’ve used his 3-5 sacks as a situational pass rusher behind Kerrigan and PSmith.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Me too, eventhough I hate the idea of having two OGs that will eventually make LT $. I guess if we had drafted him and lost him or Scherff in 5/6 years we could get a compensatory pick for them though and it’d be cool to get a 3rd bc we lost a guard.

The colts weren’t worried about that because their gonna be paying a Center and LG; LT money

To me, the top 3 highest priority needs are WR, OLB, and ILB. That’s assuming all our FAs leave (specifically Crowder and P. Smith) and Z. Brown is released. I’m not totally sure about the order, but I think that would be it.

In today’s NFL, you really can’t get by without passing game weapons that can separate. A wideout who can be both reliable and explosive would change the entire offense. Having Jordan Reed is a nice luxury, but even with Crowder (who I very much think they should re-sign), the WR corps is a major weakness. We can’t hurt teams for trying to smother the run game and the Reed/CT outlet options within 10 yards of the LOS. I thought PRich did a decent (not $8M/year’s worth, but decent) job in his role, but Doctson just doesn’t appear capable of being a lead receiver. It would be monumental if they could add someone like a Michael Thomas or a Keenan Allen (or obviously a Tyreek Hill) to take the offense to the next level.

As for OLB, pretty straightforward. My view on defending the modern offense is that you need to beat them from the front 7. Negative plays, turnovers, and disrupted timing are the keys to combating these pass-heavy attacks, especially with the rules preventing secondaries from being consistently able to blanket receivers. That means splash plays (sacks, forced fumbles, tackles for loss) are more important than ever. An explosive OLB is the missing piece as far as those sorts of plays go, and one would be especially effective with our DL developing into such a force that requires much of the OL’s attention. Ryan Anderson is a decent 3rd OLB, but I don’t anyone believes he’s the game-changer that will strike fear into opposing offenses.

With ILB, the impact is a little more subtle than it is with the OLB, but I think they’re more important than ever. If you can shut down opposing run games with just the 7 (or even 6) players in the box, you can give the secondary a little more cushion to focus on coverage instead of cheating up to help support the run. And just as important, a good ILB helps give teeth to the pass rush by taking away some of the quick outlet options (RBs/LBs) that allow QBs to dump the ball off under pressure. Being able to cover/tackle those sorts of players forces the opposing QB to play without his usual safety net and gives the pass-rushers more opportunity to get home. It’s absolutely critical nowadays, especially on 3rd down — as we saw all year with M. Foster a step behind backs and TEs who caught short passes and turned it upfield to run for 1st downs.

That’s not to say there aren’t other positions of need. We definitely need to add an LG, a backup TE, a starting S, etc. But I think those positions can be effectively addressed later in the draft (especially LG and possibly TE) or with medium priority FAs (especially S and possibly TE). When I think top draft needs, those are positions where we need blue chip talent. And that’s gotta be WR, OLB, and ILB.

Archived