Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
49erurtaza

49ers DB coach Jeff Hafley took Job with Ohio State as CO-D coordinator

Recommended Posts

OSU likes poaching our coaches apparently (Ryan Day, current OSU HC, was a quarterback coach for us under Chip)

But this is could potentially be good news. I was never uber impressed by Hafley's career here, and I would hope that we put the full court press on someone like Vance or Wilks to get them to come here and be a DB coach. Of course, we could miss out on both of them and get someone worse than Hafley, but can't help that given Hafley is leaving of his own accord. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Forge said:

OSU likes poaching our coaches apparently (Ryan Day, current OSU HC, was a quarterback coach for us under Chip)

But this is could potentially be good news. I was never uber impressed by Hafley's career here, and I would hope that we put the full court press on someone like Vance or Wilks to get them to come here and be a DB coach. Of course, we could miss out on both of them and get someone worse than Hafley, but can't help that given Hafley is leaving of his own accord. 

I agree glad we where able to maybe shake something up with our coaches on D. Hopefully we get Wilks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this move opens the doors for Falcons ex DC Manuel, and Shannys good friend, to come be our DB coach and probably Co DC with Saleh to help him out. Another average or slightly below season from Saleh this up coming year is probably all the leash he’ll get. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fureys49ers said:

I think this move opens the doors for Falcons ex DC Manuel, and Shannys good friend, to come be our DB coach and probably Co DC with Saleh to help him out. Another average or slightly below season from Saleh this up coming year is probably all the leash he’ll get. 

Good call 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best offseason move so far. Great addition to the team. Nobody should do less damage to our developing DBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

I think this move opens the doors for Falcons ex DC Manuel, and Shannys good friend, to come be our DB coach and probably Co DC with Saleh to help him out. Another average or slightly below season from Saleh this up coming year is probably all the leash he’ll get. 

I like this idea a lot. I want Saleh looking over his shoulder, nervous. Get him thinking and scheming to keep his job, hopefully by putting together good game plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Best offseason move so far. Great addition to the team. Nobody should do less damage to our developing DBs.

Exactly!! When none of the young DBs improve from year one to year two, then there is something wrong with the way you are developing them. Manuel has to be the guy here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I like this idea a lot. I want Saleh looking over his shoulder, nervous. Get him thinking and scheming to keep his job, hopefully by putting together good game plans.

I agree, not that I think Manuel is the ideal DC to take his place, but by getting him “help” maybe we put just enough heat on him for his game plan to get a little more aggressive and diverse. Turnovers and sacks are usually created through scheme, not by sitting back and waiting for a mistake. That usually only works on the below average teams who are running out QBs like...Beat hard. (Still love that guy though and want him to become the next Trent “I beg to” Dilfer.)

Edited by Fureys49ers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would make sense to go after Manual he has connections with Shanahan and Saleh.

He has developed some good DBs with the falcons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Falcons secondary during their SB run was special, I mean they had young guys playing like veterans used to the big stage and UDFAs starting and performing very well.

Edited by Fureys49ers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, Manuel makes too much sense for us....which is why I feel like it's definitely not going to happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 757-NINER said:

Yea, Manuel makes too much sense for us....which is why I feel like it's definitely not going to happen

Haha we probably end up hiring some no name coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe haley accepted another job knowing that our plan was to hire Manuel as our DB coach?

Accepting the new job without getting fired looks waaaay better on a resume. 

Changes to the defensive staff, hooray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, N4L said:

Maybe haley accepted another job knowing that our plan was to hire Manuel as our DB coach?

Accepting the new job without getting fired looks waaaay better on a resume. 

Changes to the defensive staff, hooray

Co-DC>>secondaries coach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×