Would Eagles trade Wentz for the world?

Humble_Beast

10 minutes ago, Eagles $5$ said:

Yeah because he was so awful this year right??? 9 months removed from tearing up all of his knee. 

Foles winning another SB is tapped out and maxed out... Wentz is the long term answer. 

A QB carrying your team to two Super Bowls is maxed out? Boy, I wish I had a bunch of players that were maxed out at "Super Bowl Champs".

I don't think there's a chance in hell that Foles and the Eagles repeat, but if they do, you have to keep Foles as the starter. 

Just now, mld said:

If Nick wins another super bowl....

You don't trade Wentz, but you offer Nick a 1 year extension with the starters job to begin the year.

I think another team would immediately come in and blow that offer out the water though. The Eagles may need to sell the farm to keep both.

Just now, mld said:

If Nick wins another super bowl....

You don't trade Wentz, but you offer Nick a 1 year extension with the starters job to begin the year.

Why not just save Foles for the post season run. Seems to be the only time he's an effective starter.

Just have this nagging feeling that Foles winning a superbowl (or 2) does not mean Wentz wouldn't have, if starting. I'm reluctant to use Foles' success as a detraction of Wentz. Maybe Wentz would have actually hung 60 on us in the superbowl.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

A QB carrying your team to two Super Bowls is maxed out? Boy, I wish I had a bunch of players that were maxed out at "Super Bowl Champs".

Crazy how far us Eagle fans have come in just a year. We would have sacrificed Wentz to the football gods for a ring this time last season.

Here's the problem I have - you can't trade Wentz because you're in no way, shape or form guaranteed to have Foles on the roster next year, even if you want to commit to Foles. 

Foles is not technically under contract next year (yet). Well, he is and he isn't.  The thing that people forget is that it's a mutual option between the Eagles and Foles. Even if they eagles decide to pick it up, Foles has 5 days to opt in / opt out. If he chooses to opt out, he pays two million to the Eagles, and then he's a free agent. The eagles could not then franchise tag him is my understanding. And if you're foles, coming off two straight super bowls, why in the world aren't you putting yourself on market to every available team that needs a quarterback? 

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Why not just save Foles for the post season run. Seems to be the only time he's an effective starter.

If they were robots I'd agree, but that would destroy Carson mentally.

Just now, Forge said:

Here's the problem I have - you can't trade Wentz because you're in no way, shape or form guaranteed to have Foles on the roster next year, even if you want to commit to Foles. 

Foles is not technically under contract next year. The thing that people forget is that it's a mutual option between the Eagles and Foles. Even if they eagles decide to pick it up, Foles has 5 days to opt in / opt out. If he chooses to opt out, he pays two million to the Eagles, and then he's a free agent. The eagles could not then franchise tag him is my understanding. And if you're foles, coming off two straight super bowls, why in the world aren't you putting yourself on market to every available team that needs a quarterback? 

Maybe he likes the system, his teammates, coach, etc...

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Maybe he likes the system, his teammates, coach, etc...

And maybe he likes money. It's a unique situation that the eagles are in and I Think that there are too many moving parts for the Eagles to get something done within a certain restricted time frame. And it's unfair of anyone to ask Foles to postpone a decision or wait on them. 

There is the story that he prefers being a backup...

The Philadelphia Eagles’ Super Bowl MVP quarterback can’t satisfy everyone when he says he is content being Carson Wentz’s backup this year rather than seeking a trade so he can to start elsewhere. It isn’t enough for some that he’s willing to subjugate his ego for the good of the team.

Jason Whitlock, for one, certainly isn’t buying what Foles is saying.

The co-host of the daily sports TV show “Speak for Yourself” alongside Colin Cowherd on Fox Sports 1, Whitlock ripped Foles on Tuesday for sounding “like a guy that doesn’t want the responsibility of being a starting quarterback.”

Just now, Forge said:

And maybe he likes money. It's a unique situation that the eagles are in and I Think that there are too many moving parts for the Eagles to get something done within a certain restricted time frame. And it's unfair of anyone to ask Foles to postpone a decision or wait on them. 

Hey man you asked a question and I answered it. Personally if I were guaranteed to make at least $20 mil a year, I'd sacrifice a few million to stay in a familiar system where I've had success.

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

Hey man you asked a question and I answered it. Personally if I were guaranteed to make at least $20 mil a year, I'd sacrifice a few million to stay in a familiar system where I've had success.

I would agree to an extent. Obviously, he wants a longer term deal than just the single year he'd be guaranteed with eagles under the current structure of his contract. If i were him, having so much success in the current situation, I'd probably be okay with taking 22m / year over 25m I could get on the market or something. But there would need to be a longer contract in play for me to be willing to do that, and I have to imagine that would be the case for Foles as well. 

And that's where the problem comes in since all of these decisions have to come within a relatively short time frame. You have to work out a long term extension with Foles, possibly work out a trade for Wentz (I don't know that this necessarily has to come before the Foles extension, depends on how Foles' contract is structured, what other guys they want to re-sign before market opens such as Brandon Graham, etc). But that's a lot of decision making and fine print that that needs to be completed before this can be done. And without that guarantee on Foles, I Don't know how you can trade Wentz in the meantime. 

Just now, Forge said:

I would agree to an extent. Obviously, he wants a longer term deal than just the single year he'd be guaranteed with eagles under the current structure of his contract. If i were him, having so much success in the current situation, I'd probably be okay with taking 22m / year over 25m I could get on the market or something. But there would need to be a longer contract in play for me to be willing to do that, and I have to imagine that would be the case for Foles as well. 

And that's where the problem comes in since all of these decisions have to come within a relatively short time frame. You have to work out a long term extension with Foles, possibly work out a trade for Wentz (I don't know that this necessarily has to come before the Foles extension, depends on how Foles' contract is structured, what other guys they want to re-sign before market opens such as Brandon Graham, etc). But that's a lot of decision making and fine print that that needs to be completed before this can be done. And without that guarantee on Foles, I Don't know how you can trade Wentz in the meantime. 

Well you wouldn't, trading Wentz would have to be conditional of course. But I think if Foles takes them to the NFCCG again, you have to at least consider it... Wentz would get a massive haul. Something like Wentz for #7, Jalen Ramsey, and another future pick would help the Eagles out tremendously.

Archived