Would Eagles trade Wentz for the world?

Humble_Beast

One xfactor to it all, How long does Foles want to play?

he's been near retirement before, and doesn't seem like he really has eyes on emulating Brady.

Wentz being younger could be playing for a decade longer.

That and Wentz being more talented makes it seem like a more obvious choice to pick up the option or tag nick and trade him.

1 hour ago, FreshPrince said:

I saw a mock that had the eagles trading their first round pick and Foles to Oakland for #4. I don’t ever use the initialism for laugh out loud but... LOL

Seriously.  I mean why would the eagles have to include pick 32? #4 straight up for the reigning SB MVP is fair. 

23 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yes and that too would of been stupid in hindsight. You dont give up on that kind of Talent , ever. People are acting as though Wentz played horrible this season? Look below at my Sig?

Was he MVP Wentz pre-ACL/Back , of course not but its absurd when people ignore how good he was last season as though thats physically impossible for him to achieve again. 

Much like Luck and how everyone  was counting him out too. Now look at him and the season he's having?

I agree with you 100% on Wentz but I still think Luck's situation was different especially when it involved his throwing shoulder and it was something that was never or at least rarely seen. 

19 hours ago, Danger said:

Honestly given the nature of what's transpired in that locker room, I don't know if I'd even want Fournette, especially since the Eagles always tend to use a 3 runningback rotation.

Even if they didn't use a 3 RB system, the Eagles have already dealt with many RB injuries the last few years and Fournette takes the cake with that. 

With PHI 14M over the cap, and the 2019 option being 20M, it's unfortunate, but it makes it almost impossible for PHI to get a trade done - because PHI has to decide on Foles's 2019 option 30 days BEFORE the start of the new financial year.  So that's literally 1 week after the Super Bowl.

They can definitely do things to get under the cap, but when you add the timing of the decision, it's just not likely that they can get any deal done.   If anything, a wink-sign-and-trade of Foles for a Rd3-4 pick would probably be a win. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

With PHI 14M over the cap, and the 2019 option being 20M, it's unfortunate, but it makes it almost impossible for PHI to get a trade done - because PHI has to decide on Foles's 2019 option 30 days BEFORE the start of the new financial year.  So that's literally 1 week after the Super Bowl.

They can definitely do things to get under the cap, but when you add the timing of the decision, it's just not likely that they can get any deal done.   If anything, a wink-sign-and-trade of Foles for a Rd3-4 pick would probably be a win. 

From the sites I’ve looked at, that 14 million over includes Foles’ 20 mill option, so they can get under without a problem. Especially if someone like Jason Peters retires 

16 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

From the sites I’ve looked at, that 14 million over includes Foles’ 20 mill option, so they can get under without a problem. Especially if someone like Jason Peters retires 

The thing is, though - they have to make a decision on that option by that 1-month prior to deadline.  That type of deadline makes it really hard to get deals done, since the other  QBalternatives don't have that kind of deadline.   Everyone else teams decide on keeping (Carr, Flacco, etc.) - the deadline before the contracts become guaranteed is start-of-year, 1 month later, as does the first wave of FA (let's face it, there's only 1 FA worth talking about, it's Bridgewater). 

The timing was specifically included so the Eagles would have to make the keep/cut call early, and let Foles hit the open market really early, and not get screwed over like other guys have been in the past by other teams (although to be fair to PHI, they've been nothing but fair to Foles, upstanding treatment starting with that 2M bonus last year for winning the SB).   It makes getting trades done at peak value really hard to get done.

FWIW, I'm going on the notion that it's Foles they are looking to trade.  If you mean the Eagles deciding on keeping Foles and then trading Wentz, then yeah, it doesn't matter, but the Wentz trade talk is nuts given the career-stage / etc.

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The thing is, though - they have to make a decision on that option by that 1-month prior to deadline.  That type of deadline makes it really hard to get deals done, since the other  QBalternatives don't have that kind of deadline.   Everyone else teams decide on keeping (Carr, Flacco, etc.) - the deadline before the contracts become guaranteed is start-of-year, 1 month later, as does the first wave of FA (let's face it, there's only 1 FA worth talking about, it's Bridgewater). 

The timing was specifically included so the Eagles would have to make the keep/cut call early, and let Foles hit the open market really early, and not get screwed over like other guys have been in the past by other teams (although to be fair to PHI, they've been nothing but fair to Foles, upstanding treatment starting with that 2M bonus last year for winning the SB).   It makes getting trades done at peak value really hard to get done.

FWIW, I'm going on the notion that it's Foles they are looking to trade.  If you mean the Eagles deciding on keeping Foles and then trading Wentz, then yeah, it doesn't matter, but the Wentz trade talk is nuts given the career-stage / etc.

I have a feeling Howie is already talking trades with some teams for Foles. KC traded Smith unofficially before the playoffs were even over last year.

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I have a feeling Howie is already talking trades with some teams for Foles. KC traded Smith unofficially before the playoffs were even over last year.

Possible for sure. But it’s hard to envision getting top value for Foles this early that’s all I’m saying.  Last year you had two franchises desperate enough to win now with stopgap QB they overpaid dearly (WAS & CLE).   The other teams drafted their guy.   WAS was also facing having to let Cousins walk and decide before the new year started so they had a huge PR incentive to find their guy.    

This year there are 3 teams who absolutely need QB with no options left (WAS JAX MIA) but 2 of them are cap strapped (or so invested in QB $$ wise with WAS) trading for 20M Foles just doesn’t seem great even before the picks.  If Tannebaum was the MIA GM I could see that lol.  He’s gone though.   

I don’t doubt it’s possible talks could be underway though.   That window just makes it hard to see a huge return.  Really before Wentz’ back injury a cut was most likely.   So this is a bonus if it happens no matter what. 

Archived