Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/07/new-packers-coach-matt-lafleur-could-keep-joe-philbin-on-staff/

Found this interesting.

Would be crazy... can't remember a time a new HC came in and kept both coordinators.

I really wonder if this is gonna happen.  Does Philbin know the type of offense LaFleur wants to run?

Most of us are happy Pettine is staying.  He did a decent job with our defense until players started dropping like flies.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Kinda weird.  I know it's not Cleveland, but i'd have thought the Packers HC job would be pretty attractive to some pretty qualified folks.

I kid mostly.  I'm surprised by it, and don't exactly see the reasoning there.  But who knows...maybe it's one of those situations where the people "in the know" see more than meets the eye there?  Somehow?  Somewhere?

Yes it is probably a situation where GBs FO knows more about the candidates than FF posters :)

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Kinda weird.  I know it's not Cleveland, but i'd have thought the Packers HC job would be pretty attractive to some pretty qualified folks.

I kid mostly.  I'm surprised by it, and don't exactly see the reasoning there.  But who knows...maybe it's one of those situations where the people "in the know" see more than meets the eye there?  Somehow?  Somewhere?

If you listen to the interview from Murphy, he was the one candidate they all agreed on.  Tells you that he was the guy who stuck out the most.

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/07/new-packers-coach-matt-lafleur-could-keep-joe-philbin-on-staff/

Found this interesting.

Would be crazy... can't remember a time a new HC came in and kept both coordinators.

Doesn't prevent himself from moving past them next offseason.  Supposedly, Pettine was one of the guys that LaFleur mentioned as his DC, and I think the Packers' FO views him highly.  His seat probably gets a bit more warm if there isn't improvement.

I don’t understand this hire, his offense was terrible last year calling the plays? Not like he didn’t have great talent either. Without Henrys two big games it’d be the 31st ranked offense in the league ahead of only the Cardinals. He was #1 with the Rams but it was McVays Offense and McVay calling the plays, his role was more of an assissant and QB coach. 

I’m assuming McVay put in a really good word for him and gave him a ton of interview tips. I don’t think it’s a good hire... but ARod will make the playoffs with whoever his coach is. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t understand this hire, his offense was terrible last year calling the plays? Not like he didn’t have great talent either. Without Henrys two big games it’d be the 31st ranked offense in the league ahead of only the Cardinals. He was #1 with the Rams but it was McVays Offense and McVay calling the plays, his role was more of an assissant and QB coach. 

I’m assuming McVay put in a really good word for him and gave him a ton of interview tips. I don’t think it’s a good hire... but ARod will make the playoffs with whoever his coach is. 

Uhhhh what?

2 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Uhhhh what?

Mariota, that OL, and both their RBs are far from bad, all above average when healthy. Mariota borderline but he’s middle of the pack at least when healthy. 31st just doesn’t make sense if you’re competant at your job. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Mariota, that OL, and both their RBs are far from bad, all above average when healthy. Mariota borderline but he’s middle of the pack at least when healthy. 

Gabbert played significant snaps in 5 games and I'm guessing Mariota wasn't healthy for all the games he played.  That and Walker out for the year early just doesn't scream great talent to me.  Fine to criticize that the offense didn't rank well, I just think the injuries played a pretty big role in that as well.  

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Mariota, that OL, and both their RBs are far from bad, all above average when healthy. Mariota borderline but he’s middle of the pack at least when healthy. 31st just doesn’t make sense if you’re competant at your job. 

Titans were 22nd in DVOA this year.

McVays first year as OC for Washington yielded the 28th ranked offense. I can't imagine how down on McVay you would have been!

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

How many Titans are starting for the Packers?  Corey Davis and Taylor Lewan are probably the only guarantees, but you could make an argument for Jack Conklin as one of the guards.  Derrick Henry has a great 2 game stretch, but people will ignore he's been rather pedestrian outside of that.  On a per rush basis, Aaron Jones was more productive than Derrick Henry mainly because Mike McCarthy refused to utilize Aaron Jones.  You could make an argument for either one, but I don't think either one is clearly better than the other.  And the difference between Rodgers and Mariota is like the size of the Pacific Ocean.

Archived