Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you listen to the interview from Murphy, he was the one candidate they all agreed on.  Tells you that he was the guy who stuck out the most.

Is it that?  Or is it like...others stood out more to different people and were more polarizing between them, so he was the "compromise" they could all agree on?

21 hours ago, squire12 said:

I heard there might be a rule change that in the last 5 minutes, the offensive playcaller will have to do that while being interviews by 40-50 NFL league reporters.  

Probably a good reflection of the 2 situations.

Rough. Looks like Rodgers will waste another year in GB.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:41 PM, -Hope- said:

no argument about talent will change the fact that we we ran the football on first down more than almost any team in football despite having one of the worst first down YPC averages in the nfl. the guy was just not a good playcaller. he showed flashes, but you'd better hope he learns a lot over the offseason.

First off, I find it mildly amusing that Packers fans are wanting a more balanced offense, and Titans fans wanting a more pass-happy offense.  That being said, there are two stats that stick out to me.  First, the Titans averaged 31 pass attempts in the first 8 games of the season and 23 pass attempts in the second half of the season.  For me, that shows that LaFleur is adjusting his offense to his personnel.  That's one of the issues that Packers' fans had with McCarthy with was his inability to adapt his play calling to his personnel.  Secondly, the Titans averaged a bit over 16 PPG in the first 8 games of the season and 22 PPG in the final 8 games.  His offense got better and more productive as the season wore on.

By chance, you have a link to that stat about them being one of the worst teams running the ball on 1st down?  Looking at their splits, Derrick Henry averaged 5.4 YPC on 112 carries on first down.  Dion Lewis averaged 2.7 YPC on 81 attempts on first down.  Aaron Jones averaged 5.8 YPA on first down on 74 attempts, and Jamaal Williams averaged 4.1 YPA on 70 attempts on first down.  Seems like a clear situation of Dion Lewis weighing that one down.

21 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Why, do you think Rodgers is going to be healthy all next season?  If he gets injured again (as he has done quite a bit lately) and plays like he did this year, it could be a very comparable situation.  

LOL you really don't believe this do you?

20 hours ago, -Hope- said:

great. that does nothing to refute the objective stupidity of running as much as we did on first down (and on 2nd and long, which is statistically the absolute worst time to call a run) as poorly as we did. mariota was healthy for a good chunk of the season and nothing changed.

So you want them to throw the ball with Marcus Mariota?  What exactly has Mariota done to give any faith that he's going to be good?

20 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Is it that?  Or is it like...others stood out more to different people and were more polarizing between them, so he was the "compromise" they could all agree on?

Considering they all agreed that LaFleur was the guy they wanted, it stands to reason that he was the one who stuck out the most.  The fact that Murphy even went out of his way to talk about how all the other candidates blended together confirms that.

Colin Cowherd seems to hate this hire.  Watching his radio show yesterday he showed a text from an anonymous coach who worked with Lafleur saying that although he's a bright guy when it comes to offense he lacks leadership qualities.  Should be interesting to see how this one plays out with Rodgers.

15 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Colin Cowherd seems to hate this hire.  Watching his radio show yesterday he showed a text from an anonymous coach who worked with Lafleur saying that although he's a bright guy when it comes to offense he lacks leadership qualities.  Should be interesting to see how this one plays out with Rodgers.

Having watched all his interviews in Tennessee and just from what I gathered in his year here I would agree. I'm also just a guy on the internet.

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Not even worth reading after hearing "Colin Cowherd". If Colin Cowherd hates this hire it honestly is probably great for the Packers. He is one tiny step ahead of Skip Bayless for taking stupid takes. 

29 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That’s where you made the mistake 

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ahh, this is all making sense now lol.

17 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Not even worth reading after hearing "Colin Cowherd". If Colin Cowherd hates this hire it honestly is probably great for the Packers. He is one tiny step ahead of Skip Bayless for taking stupid takes. 

He does have a lot of stupid takes but this time I actually tend to agree with him.  Teams are desperately looking to emulate what the Rams did with McVay in the young up and coming QB guru to be the head coach of their team, and now to a lesser extent Matt Nagy.

In theory I get the idea that you want to pair your franchise QB with an offensive guy to avoid turnover, etc. but I feel like a lot of teams are reaching with these hires lately.

Not saying that in particular LaFleur, Kingsbury or Taylor will be busts as head coaches, but let's be real, they're probably not going to all work out, and maybe none at all.  Head coaching is much bigger than just being a young hot shot QB guru.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

First, the Titans averaged 31 pass attempts in the first 8 games of the season and 23 pass attempts in the second half of the season.  For me, that shows that LaFleur is adjusting his offense to his personnel.

I'm not sure where you got those numbers from, but we averaged 28 pass attempts in the first 8 games of the season and 26 pass attempts in the second half of the season. Take it from us who watched our offense last year, he didn't adjust. The only reason we averaged more passing attempts in the first half of the season compared to the second half of the season was because of the Miami and Philadelphia games. We were stuck playing catch-up and threw the ball 38 and 43 times.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

By chance, you have a link to that stat about them being one of the worst teams running the ball on 1st down?  Looking at their splits, Derrick Henry averaged 5.4 YPC on 112 carries on first down.  Dion Lewis averaged 2.7 YPC on 81 attempts on first down.  Aaron Jones averaged 5.8 YPA on first down on 74 attempts, and Jamaal Williams averaged 4.1 YPA on 70 attempts on first down.  Seems like a clear situation of Dion Lewis weighing that one down.

Henry's 5.4 YPC on first down is heavily skewed by the 99 yard and 54 yard runs against Jacksonville. Without those outliers he averaged 4.1 YPC on first down. Combined with Lewis we averaged 3.47 YPC on first down not including those outliers. On top of being such a horrible running team on first down (I don't have the link with the rankings, but 3.47 YPC isn't good), he doubled down and ran the ball more on first down more than anyone in the NFL except for 3 other teams.

Aside from first down rushes, he just refused to abandon the run game all year long in general. A perfect example was the game in Houston on Monday night. We were down double digits from the 2nd quarter on and in a game where Mariota was actually playing well - maybe the best game of his career (22/23 303 yards 2 TD's) - we ran the ball as many times as we passed. He just really left us scratching our heads so many times.

Archived