Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

This makes me sad. Another new offense for Mariota and the offense to learn...:(

Yup. Pretty close to throwing in the towel on Mariota at this point, he's had a new OC almost every single year.

Surprised LaFleur got the offer though. There were several times throughout the season where you could see the inexperience shine through (most notably going empty backfield on a 2 point attempt vs the Chargers, basically tipping that it was going to be a pass attempt). Still thought he was a solid OC who was better than the statistics showed. Figured with Vrabel in Tennessee, having free reign on the offense might keep him around longer. Looks like he wants to make all the shot calls though.

Honestly, as long as it wasn't McDaniels, that was probably a step up for Green Bay.  McD and ARod could have been a disaster of epic proportions if they weren't on the same page.   Bringing in a different scheme that's not WC based sounds great in theory, but ARod's probably best to stick to a WC-based scheme.

Keeping Pettine might be more problematic, but I'm admittedly not as versed there as watching GB's O, so I'll leave the GB / NFCN fanbase to weigh in.

11 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Sounds like Mike Pettine will be staying as DC

It kinda sounds like this is the reason he’s getting hired. It sounds like he was the only one who said he was certain he’d keep Pettine. 

Very surprising. I am just not sure what he has done to deserve it at this point. He didn't do much for the Rams when he was there since McVay called plays and all that jazz. I wasn't super impressed with Tennessee's offense at any point of this year (obviously, injuries played a role, but still). I don't know that it's a bad hire, obviously, he could be just fine, but definitely an interesting one to say the least. 

I honestly don't see the hype. What did the Titans do so great offensively this year to warrant LaFleur being a top candidate? Sure, the Rams offense last year was great but that's probably mostly McVay. Do people view him as being a top candidate thinking he will be able to bring over McVay's success or is there other reasons of merit I'm not seeing?

Archived