Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

I was hoping for McDaniels to be honest. I know his perception but I was all in on giving him a chance to prove people wrong here. Oh well. 

I trust that Gute and MM put all the candidates through the paces and picked the one they thought was best. Have to trust Gute here. Have no choice. I do like that Petrine looks to be staying on as well. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Lmao Rodgers isn’t listening to some 30 something year old 1 time  play caller. 

It's all about communication. McVay earned the respect of guys older than he is because he's a tremendous communicator with incredible football knowledge. If you know what you're talking about and can communicate/connect with your players, those guys will listen.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Shanahan/McVay disciple. Probably want A-Rod in that sort of scheme. Plus, you never know how these guys present themselves. Nobody thought McVay was a homerun hire. But he absolutely blew away both the Rams and 49ers in his interviews. Both teams wanted him bad.

So did both fanbases. 49ers fans were very much in favor of McVay (well most of the fans...you know that there are always those guys) and Shanny. 

21 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m sure Matiota had nothing to do with it and it’s all LaFleur

Wrong.

Mariota wasn't good, but LaFleur also didn't help him. His inexperience as a play caller was evident all year long. Hopefully he's better for the Cheeseheads.

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Lmao Rodgers isn’t listening to some 30 something year old 1 time  play caller. 

You know Rodgers personally then? You must if you are making a factual statement like that about his character. Rodgers and McCarthy were both stubborn as heck and it was clear McCarthy lost the team, not just Rodgers. Rodgers needs someone to come in and challenge him to get better and get refocused. Is that LeFleur? Well the GB brass seems to think so. Time will tell but this perception that Rodgers is going to be trouble is unfounded IMO. Just because his relationship with Mac became toxic, doesn’t mean he’s going to be that way with a new HC. Is it possible with his ego? Sure it is but let’s give it a season before condemning the situation. 

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's all about communication. McVay earned the respect of guys older than he is because he's a tremendous communicator with incredible football knowledge. If you know what you're talking about and can communicate/connect with your players, those guys will listen.

McVay can remember plays that happened from games 3 years ago.   To the exact detail.  Couple that with excellent communication skills it's not hard to get players' respect and trust.  

The 2 skills (knowledge and communication) are what make great coaches.   It's safe to say if you have only 1, you won't be a great HC, you need both.   But while you can get yourself in a lot of trouble by a lack of knowledge, the reality is that you can get your way out of said trouble with great communication skills (and those with great knowledge but poor communication skills often underperform as badly, if not worse, than the other way around - because you can always surround yourself with smarter people).

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

McVay can remember plays that happened from games 3 years ago.   To the exact detail.  Couple that with excellent communication skills it's not hard to get players' respect and trust.  

The 2 skills (knowledge and communication) are what make great coaches.   It's safe to say if you have only 1, you won't be a great HC, you need both.   But while you can get yourself in a lot of trouble by a lack of knowledge, the reality is that you can get your way out of said trouble with great communication skills (and those with great knowledge but poor communication skills often underperform as badly, if not worse, than the other way around - because you can always surround yourself with smarter people).

It's clear that McVay is special, but McVay and Shanahan both thought highly enough of LaFleur to promote him and bring him with them. That says a lot to me.

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's clear that McVay is special, but McVay and Shanahan both thought highly enough of LaFleur to promote him and bring him with them. That says a lot to me.

Yeah don't get me wrong, it's not like we know what Lafleur will be as a HC, so it's hard to be down on him, given his rapid ascendency.  DEN fans were really hoping he'd be on our short list, as there aren't a lot of great O-mind HC guys in this cycle who we likely can get (Monken & Kitchens always seemed out of our reach, and there's no way Gase or McDaniels are ever coming back to DEN, not while Elway's around).    But sadly, DEN is probably a bottom-3 destination for O minds this time around - no QBOTF, a thin roster, and a lot of control in Elway.   

He will be interesting to track, because he's the first McVay disciple, so to speak.    McVay's so brilliant, it definitely poses some risk guys are benefitting from the halo effect of being in the aura of his greatness.   Or maybe they've learned from a great HC and will continue the success on their own.  We'll see soon enough, GB is definitely in a good spot to contend with such a young emerging secondary to go with that O and A-Rod.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah don't get me wrong, it's not like we know what Lafleur will be as a HC, so it's hard to be down on him, given his rapid ascendency.  DEN fans were really hoping he'd be on our short list, as there aren't a lot of great O-mind HC guys in this cycle who we likely can get (Monken & Kitchens always seemed out of our reach, and there's no way Gase or McDaniels are ever coming back to DEN, not while Elway's around).    But sadly, DEN is probably a bottom-3 destination for O minds this time around - no QBOTF, a thin roster, and a lot of control in Elway.   

He will be interesting to track, because he's the first McVay disciple, so to speak.    McVay's so brilliant, it definitely poses some risk guys are benefitting from the halo effect of being in the aura of his greatness.   Or maybe they've learned from a great HC and will continue the success on their own.  We'll see soon enough, GB is definitely in a good spot to contend with such a young emerging secondary to go with that O and A-Rod.

I think Denver would be a very interesting destination. I'd love Denver if they could pair somebody like Vic Fangio up with an outside the box offensive mind. I might even look to the college ranks for somebody like Kliff Kingsbury or Graham Harrell or somebody from that type of system. You're stuck with Case. It's worth thinking outside the box. Keep Kubiak around as a consultant to help the new OC (especially with the running game).

56 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

You know Rodgers personally then? You must if you are making a factual statement like that about his character. Rodgers and McCarthy were both stubborn as heck and it was clear McCarthy lost the team, not just Rodgers. Rodgers needs someone to come in and challenge him to get better and get refocused. 

So...he doesn't know Rodgers personally, but you do? Awesome. Ask Rodgers why they stopped having Matthews do those State Farm commercials, and get back to us...

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Glad we got this guy instead of that turd McDaniels. Never liked that guy anyway.

@jrry32

At least you have a sense of humor about the whole thing. That's cool. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

At least you have a sense of humor about the whole thing. That's cool. 

i have a sense of humor about everything. i know i don't know jackschit about these guys, I just enjoy the ride and like to get excited.

JMD was an exciting prospect

LaFleur is an exciting hire

I would be more grouchy if we got an old retread guy

Archived