Matt LaFleur To Be Named GB Head Coach

Titans fan 617

19 hours ago, TitanSS said:

This is either....

A.) Bad. Mariota is nothing but a game manager and needed a run first offense with big formations and play-action to succeed. It wasn't bad play-calling, but an attempt to hide poor QB play and win with the defense and ground game.

B.) Good. Marcus was never going to suceed in one of the most under center offenses in the NFL that continually failed to throw on early downs. Even when he did throw on early downs it was often an extension of the run game rather than 10+ yards downfield. We realize our mistake and put him in a heavy shotgun, 3 WR offense. Only 5 offenses in the NFL were under center more than us.

I vote to go shotgun, spread things out, speed things up. Someone from Reid's tree. They are rarely under center.

But I've also been voting for this since he was drafted so what do I know.

It's so heartbreaking to me that after drafting one of the most dominant spread QBs in college football history that our franchise would make every move possible to take his biggest strength away from him and turn him into nothing more than a glorified game manager.  We've just completely mishandled his entire development since we drafted him. It's really unbelievable.

11 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

It's so heartbreaking to me that after drafting one of the most dominant spread QBs in college football history that our franchise would make every move possible to take his biggest strength away from him and turn him into nothing more than a glorified game manager.  We've just completely mishandled his entire development since we drafted him. It's really unbelievable.

Blake beddingfield on local radio said they had the exact conversation after his campus visit. Saying in summary: if we take him. The worst thing we can do to his development is to give him multiple OCs. And here we are at 5. 

He said Marcus is a smart guy and he can do it. He has done it. But this much change isn't good for anyone. 

But what about the other guys. The WRs like Taylor that struggled to pick things up. Jonnu who was slow to come on. 

And let's say we do draft another guy in a year or two, what confidence do we have that we won't mess him up. 

But anyway, I think Marcus will be ok, but he won't be as good as he could be or ever have a chance to become a master of the quarterback position if he is constantly changing. 

Mannings and Brees and whoever become masters of their craft by constantly adding. Not constantly changing. 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Blake beddingfield on local radio said they had the exact conversation after his campus visit. Saying in summary: if we take him. The worst thing we can do to his development is to give him multiple OCs. And here we are at 5. 

He said Marcus is a smart guy and he can do it. He has done it. But this much change isn't good for anyone. 

But what about the other guys. The WRs like Taylor that struggled to pick things up. Jonnu who was slow to come on. 

And let's say we do draft another guy in a year or two, what confidence do we have that we won't mess him up. 

But anyway, I think Marcus will be ok, but he won't be as good as he could be or ever have a chance to become a master of the quarterback position if he is constantly changing. 

Mannings and Brees and whoever become masters of their craft by constantly adding. Not constantly changing. 

Yeah the constant OC changes have really hurt him as they would hurt any young QB. I still feel like the coaching staffs we've had have tried to fit a square peg in a round hole with him. They got so centrally focused on him learning to play under center that they lost sight of the aspects of his game that made him great in the first place, and have made move after move to take those things away from his game. 

This is probably our last shot to make it work with Marcus, and I wanna see him in a more shotgun spread based system just to see with my own eyes if what I've wanted for him all along was right or if I was dead wrong.  If he gets in a more spread based system and crashes and burns at least we'll know we gave it our best shot and can be in a good spot to find our guy next year.

Plus it feels like the only way to really give him some form of continuity outside of keeping the LaFleur scheme in place with an in house hire or an OC with similar concepts to LaFleur is to bring in a guy like Helfrich, so there's no real learning curve for him again in the offseason. Marcus was the best version of himself as a QB under Helfrich, and I would like to do everything we can to try to give that to him in a do or die year like this.

Not trying to be over dramatic here, but it feels like this OC hire could end up being one of the most important hires Vrabel ever makes, because it could completely change the trajectory of our entire franchise at the QB position.

I love the national narrative around the LeFleur hire

"did great things with an injured team and lack of talent"

zero mention of awful 1st half playcalling and obsessed running on 1st and 2nd

I like LeFleur and was excited for year 2. seriously was. wish he stayed and see massive potential. but us being an irrelevant afterthought of a franchise is more and more annoying with each passing BS story or narrative

Archived