packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

FinneasGage

A hopefully healthy Rodgers vs. an unhealthy Mariota will make a major difference.  Mariota had a nerve issue and couldn't even make certain throws.  It surely affected what LaFleur could call.  Rodgers is happy and excited about the new direction under LaFleur, so I'm happy about the new direction as well.  In that interview with Simms it sounded like Rodgers was impressed by the Shanahan version of the offense he saw last year first hand.  I take it with Rodgers at the helm we'll have something pretty creative going on.

9 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

It’s such a stark difference than run pass pass punt we became accustomed to last year. 

I don't expect those numbers to be at all similar. I'm just kinda poking fun at this whole thing. I don't feel like there would be near the excitement if this had just been our oc and it played out right before our eyes. 

The same things were said of McCarthys lack of success in SF with Alex Smith in his rookie year. He came here and won a SB.

Im excited to run the ball! It’s been sorely lacking!

Edited by boratt

46 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't feel like there would be near the excitement if this had just been our oc and it played out right before our eyes. 

It did play out right before our eyes...back in 2014
Packers ran the football 435 times and scored 486 points in 2014 ( the most since 2011) good enough for the # 1 offense in the league
That's 102 more rushes than the Packers had in 2018 when they only scored a measly 376 points, ranking # 14 in the league in points scored

19 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Packers ran the football 435 times and scored 486 points in 2014 ( the most since 2011) good enough for the # 1 offense in the league
That's 102 more rushes than the Packers had in 2018 when they only scored a measly 376 points, ranking # 14 in the league in points scored

I didn't mean purely the running stats. I meant watching that Tennessee offense, even though I have noted and recognize there were issues beyond play call tendencies. I'm guessing being ahead from scoring a bunch didn't hurt us any there as well

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

We scored via the pass and ran because we were winning. 

• Like 2

I suggest that anyone that sees similarities in the 2018 Tennessee Titans offense and the 2014 Green Bay Packers offense go back and watch those 32+ games again. 

The misuse of the Titan's two best skill position players last year was criminal.  Their offense regressed in both points scored and yards gained under LAF's direction.  

58 minutes ago, SSG said:

I suggest that anyone that sees similarities in the 2018 Tennessee Titans offense and the 2014 Green Bay Packers offense go back and watch those 32+ games again. 

The misuse of the Titan's two best skill position players last year was criminal.  Their offense regressed in both points scored and yards gained under LAF's direction.  

Who do you even consider that to be? Henry and Mariota? Davis?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We scored via the pass and ran because we were winning. 

Running/passing are intimately linked and GB didn't pass into a lead for all 16 games in 2014. Maybe half of em fit that generality
Here's Bucky Brooks on the topic of what Lacy/strong running attack added to the Packers offense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237789/article/eddie-lacy-greatly-expands-green-bay-packers-offensive-attack

1) Physicality
2) More long balls for AR
3) fewer exotic blitzes males it easier for the OL in pass pro
4) run game - > play action -> freezes LBs, opens up passing opportunities for the TE

Rodgers said at the time he was thrilled to see some single -high Safety as the result of Lacy, instead of the 2 deep safeties he'd seen too frequently in the past
The threat of a viable run game makes the passing easier in all 4 quarters of the contest.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The threat of a viable run game makes the passing easier in all 4 quarters of the contest.

I agree with this and look forward to a more balanced offense going forward. We need to produce "around" AR and not rely on him holding the ball for extended periods "trying to make something happen." If we get rid of the scramble drill entirely, I wont be displeased.

We need to use AR's talents to get the ball out of his hands and into those of others - if for no other reason than he wont play uninjured ever again if we dont.

46 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Running/passing are intimately linked and GB didn't pass into a lead for all 16 games in 2014. Maybe half of em fit that generality
Here's Bucky Brooks on the topic of what Lacy/strong running attack added to the Packers offense

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237789/article/eddie-lacy-greatly-expands-green-bay-packers-offensive-attack

1) Physicality
2) More long balls for AR
3) fewer exotic blitzes males it easier for the OL in pass pro
4) run game - > play action -> freezes LBs, opens up passing opportunities for the TE

Rodgers said at the time he was thrilled to see some single -high Safety as the result of Lacy, instead of the 2 deep safeties he'd seen too frequently in the past

We had 4281 passing yards, 38 TDs, and 6 Ints.

Opposition had 3624 passing yards 26 TDs and 16 INTs.

We had 1917 rushing yards and 14 TDs.

Opposition had 1919 rushing yards and 11 TDs. 

We didn't win games running. It was a nice counter punch, but passing wins

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SSG said:

That's like saying the misuse of the Packers two best safeties last year was criminal.

A turd is a turd, the Titans skill group sans Walker is littered with them. Maybe Corey Davis is good, we'll see, doesn't matter as long as he has a bad QB though. Henry is the softest big back I've ever watched.

• Like 1