packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

FinneasGage

I'm curious what others thought of Matt LaFleur's clock management at the end of the half against the Broncos. As I recall, when the Broncos had 2nd and long with the Packers leading 17-10, LaFleur chose not to call a timeout. But on 3rd and long, he did call a timeout. I thought that was perfect. The past few years, McCarthy drove me nuts by calling too many timeouts when the other team had the ball just before halftime. This strategy seemed to backfire more often than not, as the other team often picked up a first down after the McCarthy timeout. The same strategy backfired in a big way for Andy Reid in the NFC championship game, as he ended up giving the Patriots the time they needed to score a TD before halftime in a game that eventually went into overtime. 

I am willing to give coaches some leeway on these decisions based on their feel for the game, but I thought McCarthy was consistently overeager to call timeouts to extend the half, even though his defense was not good at getting stops. But I liked it that LaFleur, even with a very good defense, played it cool and was okay with taking a seven-point lead into the half. (He did buy a little time for his offense with that last timeout, but when the punt rolled down to the 10-yard-line there was nothing to do but run out the clock.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greg C. said:

I'm curious what others thought of Matt LaFleur's clock management at the end of the half against the Broncos. As I recall, when the Broncos had 2nd and long with the Packers leading 17-10, LaFleur chose not to call a timeout. But on 3rd and long, he did call a timeout. I thought that was perfect. 

Great catch Greg.

Totally blurted out at the time that McCarthy would have quickly called a TO after 2nd down and then for some reason expected Dom's D to get a stop on 3rd down.

Little things like those TO decisions, and actually running the ball more often rather than just paying lip service to that notion, are slowly but surely making it real that we have a new head coach and the decision-making has indeed changed in Green Bay.

"Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury, Bengals coach Zac Taylor (pictured), Broncos coach Vic Fangio, and Dolphins coach Brian Flores have failed to win a single game in their first four attempts to do so, and that’s the first time that four first-year coaches have suffered that fate.

Kingsbury has a tie on his record, making the combined report card for the quartet 0-15-1.

Two other first-year coaches are doing significantly better. Packers coach Matt LaFleur has a 3-1 record and Browns coach Freddie Kitchens is 2-2. Both, based on tiebreakers, are in first place in their respective North divisions."

On 9/21/2019 at 6:36 PM, Norm said:

Yeah I'm not even down on him or anything. I just can't get excited either.

Nothing to get very excited about so far.  Scripted plays seem to work, maybe he needs to script into the second half.

Don't mind mistakes as long as he is learning from them.  Would like to see him attack weakness more. 

I've been wondering all along what Matt LaFleur's identity is as a coach. All we've heard about is that he's a Sean McVay guy, but I don't think the Packers' offense looks all that much like the Rams' offense. LaFleur emphasizes the run more than Mike McCarthy did, but maybe that's just because almost every coach emphasizes the run more than McCarthy did. In the first three games, I thought Aaron Rodgers was staying in the pocket more, but not so much in the last two games. I think he's looked better outside the pocket than he did in the last few years with McCarthy though. There's not so much of the sandlot-type play, where he's just running around back there hoping that something will happen. So I think that maybe LaFleur has tweaked Rodgers' style a bit. 

I guess what I'm seeing most with LaFleur is that he is calm and adaptable and sets a good tone. His players often talk about having fun. In the game against the Cowboys, LaFleur ran a lot of inside-zone runs, instead of the McVay-style outside-zone, and it worked. LaFleur hasn't knocked anyone's socks off with a lot of brilliant play concepts, but he seems to be able to adapt pretty well, and it looks like the players have bought into his system--if you can even call it a system. It's more like a style. So far so good. 

59 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

I've been wondering all along what Matt LaFleur's identity is as a coach. All we've heard about is that he's a Sean McVay guy, but I don't think the Packers' offense looks all that much like the Rams' offense. LaFleur emphasizes the run more than Mike McCarthy did, but maybe that's just because almost every coach emphasizes the run more than McCarthy did. In the first three games, I thought Aaron Rodgers was staying in the pocket more, but not so much in the last two games. I think he's looked better outside the pocket than he did in the last few years with McCarthy though. There's not so much of the sandlot-type play, where he's just running around back there hoping that something will happen. So I think that maybe LaFleur has tweaked Rodgers' style a bit. 

I guess what I'm seeing most with LaFleur is that he is calm and adaptable and sets a good tone. His players often talk about having fun. In the game against the Cowboys, LaFleur ran a lot of inside-zone runs, instead of the McVay-style outside-zone, and it worked. LaFleur hasn't knocked anyone's socks off with a lot of brilliant play concepts, but he seems to be able to adapt pretty well, and it looks like the players have bought into his system--if you can even call it a system. It's more like a style. So far so good. 

MLF has stressed much more his relationship with the Shanahan's when asked.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 9:39 AM, Shanedorf said:

Two other first-year coaches are doing significantly better. Packers coach Matt LaFleur has a 3-1 record and Browns coach Freddie Kitchens is 2-2. Both, based on tiebreakers, are in first place in their respective North divisions."

draw play: 4th and 9.

yeah, LaFluer wins the Coaching Rookie of the Year so far

On 1/8/2019 at 6:33 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Barring an absolutely incredible offseason, there isn't a coach living or dead that's going to make this team a superbowl team next year.

Maybe if you assume the CB rotation is going to stay healthy, or minimally not beaten to a bloody messy, but this team is a long way away from SB contention. 

I like to go back and re-read some of the work around here, its often illuminating. Some really good stuff in this thread ( the post above is from page 48) Things look radically different in October than in January...and for the 2019 Packers, that's a good thing

I'd say the offseason was absolutely incredible, one of the best in recent history. But the DB rooms have been hit already
Many fans were really down on this team and that's understandable, but a lot of the crapola was due to regime change and unrest, not a true reflection of the team itself. And clearly the offseason additions to the defense changed the entire picture for a rookie head coach in his inaugural campaign

Really cool to watch it all unfold and I am truly enjoying this journey... without much concern for the destination  ( Miami in February)

Edited by Shanedorf

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Mariota ia terrible .. LaFleur never stood a chance with a bad qb who had a nerve issue on his throwing arm.  Mariota got benched today .. replaced with the great Ryan Tannehill.

I think that’s the point.

MLF was better than this year even with Mariota

Edited by Arthur Penske