packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

FinneasGage

A veiled shot at 'Fat Mac.'

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/articles/packers-dl-team-lot-closer-matt-lafleur

What’s been the biggest difference between the Mike McCarthy Packers and the Matt LaFleur Packers?

“I just think the team is a lot closer,” Packers defensive lineman Kenny Clark said on Reiter Than You. “We’re just having a lot of fun. We have a really young team, and Coach LaFleur is really young, too, so I think he just relates to us and relates to the whole team. He brings a lot of energy into the building. Even all the assistant coaches, they all bring a lot of energy. That’s really what you see with us. We’re always going to be up with energy, happy to be there, happy to walk through those doors every day and go to work with your teammates. That’s the best part about it is just being able to do that. I think Coach LaFleur and all the rest of the guys, they just make that environment healthy like that.”

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mac will not get another head coaching offer again this offseason.  If he wants back in it will be as an offensive coordinator.

I think it will be the exact opposite. I can see Mike getting a job as a head coach and hiring co-ordinators to run the offense and defense, or at least help with the offense. I think he can run the program just fine

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Howler said:
11 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Anyone who calls Mike McCarthy "Fat Mike" or "Fat Mac" seriously is a loser. 

It's actually a running joke in this thread. 

I know, it's been a running joke for a while. It's not a funny joke

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Howler said:

It's actually a running joke in this thread. 

Joke or not, it is pretty disrespectful to a guy that ran the franchise for 13 years. He may not have been the perfect coach but he had such a respect for the Packers that he would never do them down, and felt honoured to run them for that length of time. Let's face it, all head coaches tend to get sacked after a bad period with the team, otherwise they wouldn't have moved on from him. I honour him for treasuring his time with the Packers, and the Packers had worse options than him, back when they first chose him.

I don't think he was a great coach, but he was good enough for many years.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mac will not get another head coaching offer again this offseason.  If he wants back in it will be as an offensive coordinator.

10 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I think it will be the exact opposite. I can see Mike getting a job as a head coach and hiring co-ordinators to run the offense and defense, or at least help with the offense. I think he can run the program just fine

Much respect for Mike.  But...I don't think he gets another HC job.  If there is one out there, maybe Pittsburgh because of his roots.  But, they seem to like the younger, ascending head coaches.  And that isn't Mike.

If Mike is to get a job, he needs to transform his offensive scheme and present that in an interview.  What he did in GB, I think, is more of a credit now to Rodgers than anything Mike did.  Key word is "now".

And in the end, Rodgers couldn't make his offense work and it seems like DC's around the league know they can defend that offense.

Mac has to convey how his offense can work with a lesser QB.  And I'm not sure that will happen.  

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Joke or not, it is pretty disrespectful to a guy that ran the franchise for 13 years. He may not have been the perfect coach but he had such a respect for the Packers that he would never do them down, and felt honoured to run them for that length of time. Let's face it, all head coaches tend to get sacked after a bad period with the team, otherwise they wouldn't have moved on from him. I honour him for treasuring his time with the Packers, and the Packers had worse options than him, back when they first chose him.

I don't think he was a great coach, but he was good enough for many years.

Tenure created a festering wound and a portion of the fanbase went personal. That's where the whole 'Fat Mac' thing originated. I was never a 'Fat Mac' guy. 

28 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's very close with Sean Payton. You wonder if he restarts there. 

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And in the end, Rodgers couldn't make his offense work and it seems like DC's around the league know they can defend that offense.

Mac has to convey how his offense can work with a lesser QB.  And I'm not sure that will happen.

Maybe that is why he spent so much time after he left GB in updating his playbook. The question no-one can answer is did he change it enough.

36 minutes ago, Howler said:

I'm not even 30 yet, so way too young to be a get off my lawn guy, but that said, kind of sad we pay these guys millions of dollars to play a game and still have to play rap music in practice and put a bball hoop in the meeting room so it seems like "fun" and not work.

Heaven forbid your favorite song doesn't play at practice, guess you can't be a close locker room?

Kind of makes our players seem more lame than Mac IMO. Yeah him going was needed, but Mac was a players coach through and through, so these guys already had it easy.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:11 AM, vegas492 said:

Agree with the difference.

Disagree about him being mentioned.  I think he was in a little (key word "little") no win situation.  If he bombs, Rodgers is sabotaging him.  If he does well?  Of course he is, he has Aaron Rodgers!

I kind of like him flying under the radar.

Not even worth a mention? How many people had the Packers at 6-1 at this point, even with a healthy Aaron Rodgers? Not many, and I think it's been pretty obvious that Matt LaFleur has been a big part of the fast start. As you say though, I do kind of like him flying under the radar. 

46 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not even 30 yet, so way too young to be a get off my lawn guy, but that said, kind of sad we pay these guys millions of dollars to play a game and still have to play rap music in practice and put a bball hoop in the meeting room so it seems like "fun" and not work.

Heaven forbid your favorite song doesn't play at practice, guess you can't be a close locker room?

Kind of makes our players seem more lame than Mac IMO. Yeah him going was needed, but Mac was a players coach through and through, so these guys already had it easy.

The trend is not a healthy one if you ask me. "I don't want to play here." "I'm not being used properly." "I need more touches." Allowing celebrations isn't good enough. Now players have to run 80 yards to the furthest end zone to prolong the "look at me and then pay me" Some may use the get off my lawn. I refute by saying stop ruining my sports

• Like 1