Jump to content
FinneasGage

packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There are people that don't think Minneapolis is the best city in the Midwest?

Ya. I think it’s highly overrated.

in fact, I lived in the people’s republic of Minnesota for 5 years and likely never will again.

On a related note, if I have to put up with big city life no way is it in an Arctic climate with terrible taxes and no mountains for skiing. Give me warm weather/the ocean or skiing and the mountains..

Madison isn’t a major city, but I liked that place a lot more than the twin cities.

 

tldr: Twin cities are overrated, give me San Diego/Denver/Salt Lake City if I have to live in a big city.

Edited by Arthur Penske

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya. I think it’s highly overrated.

in fact, I lived in the people’s republic of Minnesota for 5 years and likely never will again.

On a related note, if I have to put up with big city life no way is it in an Arctic climate with terrible taxes and no mountains for skiing. Give me warm weather/the ocean or skiing and the mountains..

Madison isn’t a major city, but I liked that place a lot more than the twin cities.

 

tldr: Twin cities are overrated, give me San Diego/Denver/Salt Lake City if I have to live in a big city.

Twin Cities are nice, but the people are meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

On a related note, if I have to put up with big city life no way is it in an Arctic climate with terrible taxes and no mountains for skiing. Give me warm weather/the ocean or skiing and the mountains.

But all the lakes and fishing.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Twin Cities are nice, but the people are meh.

I mean they’re a fire place, but people act like it’s one of the best cities in the country and imo there are sooo many better big cities. 

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

But all the lakes and fishing.......

Ya, I can take Vacation to fish. Not gonna convince me to live somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I mean they’re a fire place, but people act like it’s one of the best cities in the country and imo there are sooo many better big cities. 

Ya, I can take Vacation to fish. Not gonna convince me to live somewhere

Agree. I was kinda kidding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to go off topic, but having this topic active was a good reminder... MLF seems like a good hire at this point in perspective.  Had no idea whether MLF would be a good hire or a bad hire when the unexpected choice was made.  At this point, I'm VERY happy with the decision.  

Seems like he's a nice combination of serious; competitive; nice; likable; sincere; and straightforward.  Seems to have a good rapport with the players; I suspect they perceive him as a guy who's really wanting guys to succeed, so I suspect a pretty positive rapport.  Not that it matters, but he has a nice rapport with the media in his press conferences.  Obviously that's not necessary, but as a fan I don't mind having a cheerful, straightforward guy.  And it seems like he respects people, even media people, enough to actually listen to the questions they ask and to respond to what they actually ask.  That willingness to listen might be a good quality with coaches and players, too, I'd think.... 

I'd wondered whether the personal qualities would actually translate into being a smart coach who made good decisions, or whether his offense would actually be intelligent and creative and successful.  I'm still unsure about that; but in recent weeks I'm hopeful that perhaps the offense is starting to find itself, and maybe his offense is actually pretty smart?   Maybe the variations on many plays really is real, and maybe they are starting to scheme guys open?  Doesn't seem excessively stubborn with run calls, and seems to have a variety of stuff going on.  The mix of run and pass; the inclusion of RB as receivers; the mix of deep balls with shorter stuff; it's seemed to be pretty healthy for now.  And it seems to perhaps be getting healthier as well, as he better understands what the actual Packers players can and can't do. 

Obviously 6-1 makes everything seem good and everybody look capable.  Might look lots different if they weren't winning.  But for now, he looks like he was a good choice.  I always figure that with some time, whether for an NFL coach or people in other positions, that some red flags can appear over time.  I'm not sure I'm seeing any particularly worrisome red flags or even yellow flags with MLF thus far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 9:44 PM, MaximusGluteus said:

Minneapolis is an awesome city.  It's really nice and not run down, the people are chill and friendly and mind their own business, there are loads of amazing restaurants there, there's a ton to do, crime isn't bad, and even though it's a big city the traffic isn't bad at all.  It's my favorite large American city, and I generally don't care for cities.  The only downfall, in my opinion, is the brutal winters, but that's part of what keeps out a lot of the riff raff so it's not swarming with bottom feeders.  It's a hell of a lot nicer than Milwaukee, but that's not difficult to acheive.  I personally think it's a lot nicer than Madison or Green Bay too, to be completely honest.

Of course you'll have the people that say "durrr but da Vikings pway der so dat sity suks DURRRRRR!"

Not that it matters to many, but it matters to some....Minneapolis has some great musky fishing in and around it.  Good all around fishing, too.  Great metro area to live and still play.

That being said, I like how much Green Bay has been built up.  It has a lot to offer.  You can live really well on a modest salary there, too.

Not a fan of Milwaukee, but the suburbs of Milwaukee are nice.  Very nice, in fact.  Where I live, I'm 20 minutes from downtown Milwaukee and 50 minutes to Madison.  It is a nice sweet spot with a lot of lakes around it, makes it seems like you are hours away from Milwaukee.

Edited by vegas492

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Indianapolis is the most boring city in America

Have you been to the Slippery Noodle?  It is far from boring.  

Granted it is just one place, just it is a GREAT place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Not that it matters to many, but it matters to some....Minneapolis has some great musky fishing in and around it.  Good all around fishing, too.  Great metro area to live and still play.

That being said, I like how much Green Bay has been built up.  It has a lot to offer.  You can live really well on a modest salary there, too.

Not a fan of Milwaukee, but the suburbs of Milwaukee are nice.  Very nice, in fact.  Where I live, I'm 20 minutes from downtown Milwaukee and 50 minutes to Madison.  It is a nice sweet spot with a lot of lakes around it, makes it seems like you are hours away from Milwaukee.

Milwaukee has really cleaned up. My wife has hipster tendencies and she loves downtown Milwaukee now. Still rough around the edges but most large cities are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Milwaukee has really cleaned up. My wife has hipster tendencies and she loves downtown Milwaukee now. Still rough around the edges but most large cities are. 

I admittedly haven't been there in a few years and haven't lived there in almost 20.  When I did it was an absolute dump.  That's all I really remember, is how much of ****hole the city was, both when I lived there and then I would visit frequently.  Glad to hear it's cleaning up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike Pettine is a hack.  Should have let LaFluer bring in his own guy.  Any play caller worth his salt is going to shred his 90s defensive scheme.  We've seen two of the best in Reid and Pederson do so with relative ease, with the latter being undermanned.  Imagine if we had the same quality of play calling on defense as we do on offense .  Typical Packers FO, handing a job to a guy who has done nothing to keep it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Mike Pettine is a hack.  Should have let LaFluer bring in his own guy.  Any play caller worth his salt is going to shred his 90s defensive scheme.  We've seen two of the best in Reid and Pederson do so with relative ease, with the latter being undermanned.  Imagine if we had the same quality of play calling on defense as we do on offense .  Typical Packers FO, handing a job to a guy who has done nothing to keep it.

Not like Pettine hasn't won a few of these things for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Mike Pettine is a hack.  Should have let LaFluer bring in his own guy.  Any play caller worth his salt is going to shred his 90s defensive scheme.  We've seen two of the best in Reid and Pederson do so with relative ease, with the latter being undermanned.  Imagine if we had the same quality of play calling on defense as we do on offense .  Typical Packers FO, handing a job to a guy who has done nothing to keep it.

This take
vf0049c6gn531.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From The Dope Sheet:

With a win on Sunday, Matt LaFleur would tie Mike McCarthy (8-8) and Ray Rhodes (8-8) for the third-most NFL wins by a Packer head coach in their first season
(9-7: Mike Holmgren and Mike Sherman)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

From The Dope Sheet:

With a win on Sunday, Matt LaFleur would tie Mike McCarthy (8-8) and Ray Rhodes (8-8) for the third-most NFL wins by a Packer head coach in their first season
(9-7: Mike Holmgren and Mike Sherman)

Can some one fill me in on the Ray Rhodes year? Why was he fired after going 8-8?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×