packers selcet mAtt leFleUr as head coah

FinneasGage

4 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

nothing wrong with Graham being slow, lots of slow TEs out there.

there is everything wrong with Graham and his ability to break tackles.

i feel like he is tackled by the first defender on seemingly every play. and that defender is usually a much much smaller DB. its crazy to me how he doesn't break more tackles or at least fall forward for a few yards.

Not breaking tackles is a valid argument against Graham, he certainly appears he is not going to break ankles out there any more either. The lack of YAC is a valid argument against Graham for next year.

8 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

Not breaking tackles is a valid argument against Graham, he certainly appears he is not going to break ankles out there any more either. The lack of YAC is a valid argument against Graham for next year.

I wouldn't have had a problem with his YAC or breaking tackles last year if he could have just hung on to the ball.  He dropped far too many catchable passes IMO.  I am willing to give him a pass on the drops after the broken thumb but they happened before that too.  Graham was important out there because he demanded at a minimum one on one coverage and often was doubled up which opened up the field for Adams, Scantling, and Allison (when healthy) et al.

Edited by eyecatcher
  • Like 2

Is it strange yet that Pettine hasn't been confirmed?  If no, when would it become strange if he is not confirmed?

Edit: Nevermind, looks like it has in fact been confirmed.

Hope I'm wrong and he's as good as I thought he would be, but 29th in turnovers is unacceptable to me.  I'd rather be 32nd in points allowed and 22nd in turnovers than 22nd in points allowed and 29th in turnovers.

I didn't see a single interception that wasn't a 50/50 type ball or a bad throw/poor route.  Every single interception was just... Not Pettine-related.

29th in turnovers... Completely unacceptable, and if we aren't in the top 16 next year, I will get extremely vocal about wanting Pettine gone rather than just preferring someone else.

Edited by Outpost31

21 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

With regard to the "complacency" issue, it was nice to see Murphy acknowledge this yesterday, but in reality, he's just as much responsible for allowing complacency to fester.  His hands were off the wheel for too long.  Acknowledgment is a good first step, and now we're seeing the rubber-band effect on full display.  I might recommend "Good to Great" by Jim Collins as some light reading for Murphy.

Yeah .. they all played a hand in it.  TT did bare minimum at times when it came to building the roster .. McCarthy had apparently quit attending some film and game planning sessions with Aaron Rodgers.  I'm not sure McCarthy's energy level was up to snuff.  I thought the comment from Trent Dilfer was kind of damning .. said McCarthy had quit 'grinding' as a coach.  I think Murphy was overly patient and didn't want to rock the boat until the playoff appearances stopped, but give him some credit for stepping up and demoting Thompson when it was clear he wasn't getting the job done.  The Gute hire seems solid, and now it's a wait and see with LaFleur. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I didn't see a single interception that wasn't a 50/50 type ball or a bad throw/poor route.  Every single interception was just... Not Pettine-related.

I don't get it.  What DC actually has turnovers that they are responsible for.  

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. they all played a hand in it.  TT did bare minimum at times when it came to building the roster .. McCarthy had apparently quit attending some film and game planning sessions with Aaron Rodgers.  I'm not sure McCarthy's energy level was up to snuff.  I thought the comment from Trent Dilfer was kind of damning .. said McCarthy had quit 'grinding' as a coach.  I think Murphy was overly patient and didn't want to rock the boat until the playoff appearances stopped, but give him some credit for stepping up and demoting Thompson when it was clear he wasn't getting the job done.  The Gute hire seems solid, and now it's a wait and see with LaFleur. 

Can't disagree with any of this, including props to Murphy for re-inserting himself when things really started getting off track.  Good post Family Ghost.

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is it strange yet that Pettine hasn't been confirmed?  If no, when would it become strange if he is not confirmed?

Hope I'm wrong and he's as good as I thought he would be, but 29th in turnovers is unacceptable to me.  I'd rather be 32nd in points allowed and 22nd in turnovers than 22nd in points allowed and 29th in turnovers.

29th in turnovers... Completely unacceptable, and if we aren't in the top 16 next year, I will get extremely vocal about wanting Pettine gone rather than just preferring someone else.

Having so many young guys and injuries on Defense didnt help, especially in the secondary there was a lot of young guys. I was kind of surprised Alexander didnt nab more than 2. There was also a lot of dropped INTs IIRC. I think we can change our turnovers around if we get good safeties and pass rushers. We didnt disrupt a lot of balls that were thrown even when we blitzed, and I  expect that to change if the pass rush picks up.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Wasn’t there a play early on... like second game early... where they showed if HaHa was where he needed to be it was an easy INT?

Like the scheme worked perfectly... it was the player not in the spot he should be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I don't get it.  What DC actually has turnovers that they are responsible for.  

Coverages.  There's a reason why even in our worst years, Dom's defense was never out of the top 20 in turnovers.  Tramon Williams even after he left said the Dom's defense was made for interceptions.  

Pettine basically did the same thing with his pass rush.  In a phrase, Pettine schemed pressure while Capers schemes turnovers.

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Having so many young guys and injuries on Defense didnt help, especially in the secondary there was a lot of young guys. I was kind of surprised Alexander didnt nab more than 2. There was also a lot of dropped INTs IIRC. I think we can change our turnovers around if we get good safeties and pass rushers. We didnt disrupt a lot of balls that were thrown even when we blitzed, and I  expect that to change if the pass rush picks up.

We had younger, worse and less-experienced players with Capers.  

I mean... This year we had Alexander and Breeland.  Last year we had House and Randall.  House and Randall at corner helped us to more interceptions.

We had 7 interceptions.  Total.  Three of them were from Clinton-Dix.  That is embarrassing no matter who your defensive backs are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Dom Capers tbh

It’s why capers honestly worked here for a good bit. They gave up points but if you stole a position or two and Rodgers was Rodgers.... it was overwhelming.

But when the offense slowed down... that type of defense didn’t help, it hurt. They got into tight games and the defense wasn’t built to be a shutdown group.

2 hours ago, 66fan said:

Another potential developmental Tight End is Allen Lazard.  Last year at this time he was being mock drafted as someone that could grow into a receiving tight end.  6'5"- 227 lbs. Iowa State University's all time leading receiver.

Will be interesting to see if he gets much action and talk in camp.  If he shows up in camp at 245 and practices with the TE's, versus coming in at 227 and practicing with the WR. 

With ESB, MVS, and Kumerow already in the "tall WR" group, not sure Lazard would have a great chance to beat those guys out.  But a developmental TE might be more fun.  

*IF* LaFleur wants that type of TE.  Tonyan and Graham aren't big blocking threats either, so having Lazard as another WR-style TE might not be a good fit either....

Tennessee Titans general manager Jon Robinson was on the Nashville radio station this week and he talked about LaFleur, the former Titans offensive coordinator, getting the job as the Packers head coach. Robinson knew LaFleur had the qualities to be an NFL head coach one day, but he thought it would a few years down the road. 

"He’s got a chance to run a team someday, didn’t realize it would be a year later,” Robinson said

Robinson went on to say he's confident he can get the job done in Green Bay. 

"We thought Matt did a good job...has a good understanding of offensive football," Robinson added. "Good luck to him, we know he can run a football team as a head coach."

Also noted: Jon Robinson wanted Das Gute at GM, but GB blocked the interview