Titans OC Search

Titans fan 617

On 1/14/2019 at 8:13 PM, KingTitan said:

I think they are pretty confident in their possible choice coming aboard. Whoever that is, assuming they waiting on someone in the playoffs. 

And just because the "names" are gone doesn't mean the right fit is gone. 

Looking through the teams still in, there's no obvious choices. Nobody that I'm seeing that really crosses over with Vrabel (Ohio State, Steelers, Pats, Chiefs) or Robinson (Pats, Bucs) in any significant way.  Even the Pats guys seem to be more post-Vrabel. Obviously not getting McDaniels or Bienemy to make lateral moves. Even looking at staffs there's just not many guys that jump out - lot of "long in the tooth" guys as well as inexperienced. Based off of what's there, could just as well be them trying to lure someone from college. 

Pats: O'Shea (WR)

Chiefs: Andy Heck (OL), Deland McCaullough (RB), Greg Lewis (WR), Tom Melvin (TE)

Rams: Aaron Kromer (Run Game Coordinator), Shane Waldron (Pass game coordinator, time w/the Pats crosses over w/JR & MV), Skip Peete (RB)

Saints: Joe Lombardi (QB)

7 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

hot take!! (but nothing crazy all things considered)

Marcus Mariota will not be our QB in 2020 if Smith is hired

If Smith is hired, it might actually be a better sign that Marcus will be here past 2020.  Smith was part of the staff that drafted Marcus and he might be the one to love him the most. Opposed to another OC who has no real attachment to him? 

I wouldn't necessarily be excited with the Arthur Smith hire, but the more time I've had to think on it, the more I can get behind it. He's been around Marcus in one capacity or another throughout his entire pro career, and he knows all of the offenses that Marcus knows. So, I'm hoping he can take pieces of what Marcus did well under Whisenhunt, Mularkey, and Vrabel/LaFleur to build a hybrid type of offense based around concepts Marcus is comfortable and familiar with. Plus for all we know, he could sprinkle in more spread concepts that Marcus thrived with at Oregon. In terms of continuity at the pro level, Arthur Smith is probably about as good as it's going to get for Marcus given the circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I wouldn't necessarily be excited with the Arthur Smith hire, but the more time I've had to think on it, the more I can get behind it. He's been around Marcus in one capacity or another throughout his entire pro career, and he knows all of the offenses that Marcus knows. So, I'm hoping he can take pieces of what Marcus did well under Whisenhunt, Mularkey, and Vrabel/LaFleur to build a hybrid type of offense based around concepts Marcus is comfortable and familiar with. Plus for all we know, he could sprinkle in more spread concepts that Marcus thrived with at Oregon. In terms of continuity at the pro level, Arthur Smith is probably about as good as it's going to get for Marcus given the circumstances. 

I agree. Let’s be honest and objective — Marcus has never thrown for more than 3400 yards or 26 TDs. With Arthur Smith at OC, I’d see the same production out of Marcus or maybe he even has his best year... who knows. The key with Marcus will always be having a strong run game (RBs) to make up for his inability to take over a game. No OC is going to make Marcus a superstar or even Top 10 QB in the league.... that’s really up to him to attain that status.

Might as well be Artie Smith. Kubiak didn't want to be an OC and LaFleur is being blocked from getting interviewed by Shanahan, the only two OC hires that would really make any kind of sense outside of an in-house promotion.

Color me unimpressed by Mark Helfrich who without Mariota was a dumpster fire at Oregon. Don't need to ask Mariota to carry him again. This ain't college.

The wording of that tweet makes it sound like a guess. If we were going to promote from within, would think it would already be finalized. 

Still feels to me like we are waiting for someone in the playoffs or talking to someone in college. 

With as leak free as our organization is, wouldn’t surprise me if there had already been interviews. 

4 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

The wording of that tweet makes it sound like a guess. If we were going to promote from within, would think it would already be finalized. 

Still feels to me like we are waiting for someone in the playoffs or talking to someone in college. 

With as leak free as our organization is, wouldn’t surprise me if there had already been interviews. 

This just in .... as per #PaulKuharsky — Titans have just finalized a 4 yr contract for new Offensive Coordinator to be introduced at a press conference tomorrow ..... Jake Locker. 

What would be bad with Smith?  

Whoever we get, it will be someone who likely hasn't called plays before or won't have done it recently in the NFL. 

If we get the QB coach or some WR coach from team X what makes them better than Smith?

Is it just because you have no idea what his offense would look like? Do you find more comfort in knowing that guy from team X came from this offense and I know what it looks like?  Example someone from Rams, you feel it would look like that?

I'm fine with being patient and seeing who they choose. If they pick someone who only ran the wishbone then yeah that would be questionable. 

Curious to see answers to the questions I raised. 

Archived