Titans OC Search

Titans fan 617

I said it a week ago and I'll say it again... An internal hire makes sense (even if I have a guy like Kafka or Helfrich as my faves). 

With Pees on board, Vrabel can step in and assist more hand on with the O... They build a solid game plan and let Mariota run the offense on game days. 

29 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’d rather get a guy who has worked with QBs. You know the position that’s most important to the whole team. The real reason why this team has been inconsistent year after year. Not interested in promoting a damn TE coach as OC. Like who the hell does that?

If we get a guy who's worked with QBs before he's gone next year if we have any success. That seems to be who everyone is targeting for head jobs right now. And if he's not gone it'll be because we sucked and we'll all wish he was gone lol

23 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’d rather get a guy who has worked with QBs. You know the position that’s most important to the whole team. The real reason why this team has been inconsistent year after year. Not interested in promoting a damn TE coach as OC. Like who the hell does that?

Sean McVay was promoted to OC from tight ends coach. 

Andy Reid never called plays before being promoted to HC/OC. 

Greg Roman was TE coach before being made OC. 

Eric Bieniemy was RB coach. 

Ken Whisenhut was TE coach. 

Mike Mularkey was a TE coach. And before anyone talks about their HC failure, we all agree that they made good OCs in their day. 

While QB coach is the most common route to OC its not the only way. Nor guarantee a good OC. 

5 minutes ago, Titansfan_13 said:

If we get a guy who's worked with QBs before he's gone next year if we have any success. That seems to be who everyone is targeting for head jobs right now. And if he's not gone it'll be because we sucked and we'll all wish he was gone lol

Welp that’s the negative in having a defensive background HC in an offensive driven league. Any success and the OC will get looks. Hell, even lack of success and you still get looks(LaFleur). Doesn’t mean you promote a TE coach and not hire a QB coach around the league to be the OC because you’re scared to lose them.

I don't think the guy has to be a QB coach. 

Plenty of guys who had no play calling experience made for good OCs.  

They've come from all areas in an offense. If someone has a good feel for offense and game planning. They can teach an offense to players and coaches, then don't matter if they were a kicking coach lol. 

Let's not damn a guy just because he doesn't follow the path to prefer. 

If we do what Philly did while back and make the LB coach OC then I can see it lol. But let's see how it plays out.

20 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't think the guy has to be a QB coach. 

Plenty of guys who had no play calling experience made for good OCs.  

They've come from all areas in an offense. If someone has a good feel for offense and game planning. They can teach an offense to players and coaches, then don't matter if they were a kicking coach lol. 

Let's not damn a guy just because he doesn't follow the path to prefer. 

If we do what Philly did while back and make the LB coach OC then I can see it lol. But let's see how it plays out.

Hasn't Arthur Smith spent the majority of his career on defense with LBers? Lol. Looks like nearly half his career was on defense.

From 2007-2011 he was in the NFL and college as a defensive coach. In 2012 he was hired as an offensive assistant. Promoted to TE coach in 2015. 

Idc because I think our offense is going to be meh until we have stability at QB, but getting a guy who has half his experience on defense isn't exciting.

21 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Hasn't Arthur Smith spent the majority of his career on defense with LBers? Lol. Looks like nearly half his career was on defense.

From 2007-2011 he was in the NFL and college as a defensive coach. In 2012 he was hired as an offensive assistant. Promoted to TE coach in 2015. 

Idc because I think our offense is going to be meh until we have stability at QB, but getting a guy who has half his experience on defense isn't exciting.

Been on the offensive side of the ball since 2012 (8 years). Not the same as being on defense then offense the next. 

I'm not all for him. Just don't hate the man. 

It is all about who you like. Someone with experience on both sides of the ball would be a positive for one who liked him. 

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I think a lot of the frustration would just be how uninspiring of a hire Smith is going to be

losing LeFleur was deflating. Now we hire Arthur smith?

What would be inspiring?

A guy from another team that has never called plays?

A QB coach from team X that has been in the league for couple years and no play calling experience?

Curious to who would make fans jump for joy. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

What would be inspiring?

A guy from another team that has never called plays?

A QB coach from team X that has been in the league for couple years and no play calling experience?

Curious to who would make fans jump for joy. 

honestly, probably. that doesn't mean it'd be the right/wrong hire, though

the "new" is intriguing. Smith, in a way, represents 8 years of futile offense...even though it really isn't even close to being his fault

Smith may be the next great OC. there'd be no excitement in that hire, though. if he pans out, I'll love the guy like a son

As Forrest Gump once said: "Hiring a Head Coach, Offensive or Defensive Coordinator is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

there's no slam dunk, guarantee hire at any of those roles. Schwartz was a terrible DC here, amazing one in Philly. Belichick flopped in Cleveland, now he's the GOAT. Kyle Shanahan had some awful years before killing it in ATL. You think Cleveland fans were excited about getting Gregg Williams? He was awesome.

59 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

As Forrest Gump once said: "Hiring a Head Coach, Offensive or Defensive Coordinator is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

there's no slam dunk, guarantee hire at any of those roles. Schwartz was a terrible DC here, amazing one in Philly. Belichick flopped in Cleveland, now he's the GOAT. Kyle Shanahan had some awful years before killing it in ATL. You think Cleveland fans were excited about getting Gregg Williams? He was awesome.

Schwartz is still terrible he benefits from talent, he can’t adjust & call terrible coverage 2008 Albert haynesworth Michael Griffin & that defense got Schwartz paid 

Archived