Titans OC Search

Titans fan 617

An OC List that I came up with:

Rob Chudzinski- Did well with rookie Cam and I thought he did ok with the Colts before fired.
Nick Sirianni- Colts OC But Reich calls plays.
Bill Lazor- Bengals had 71% TD in the red-zone.
Todd Monken- Bucs OC. 90 explosive plays (20 yards or more) ranked among the top in the league.
Mike Lafleur- 49ers Passing Game Coordinator. Matt might take his brother with him, but the Niners were top in the league with yards after catch. 

Niners were also last in the league in explosive plays. That offense would basically be what we had last year with another first year OC. If you wanted LaFleur to keep doing what he was doing and hope for better execution, he's the guy to target.

Heck continuity. Lets do what we should have done from day 1 and give Mariota a shotgun 3 WR base personnel offense.

Give me someone from the Andy Reid tree or Helfrich. I really like what CHI did with Trubisky. That's what Mariota needed from day 1.

This is our last chance to get the offense that we always wanted for Marcus. The last chance to bring a lot of the spread concepts that he succeeded with at Oregon to the NFL. It's a sink or swim year for him, and our only real shot at giving him some form of continuity in a make or break year is to bring a good majority of the Oregon concepts to the offense. We saw him become one of the most dangerous players in college football under that system, and with so much offensive carry over these days from College to the pros there is no better time to throw all our eggs into the spread basket right now. If he can't succeed in the spread then we'll at least know without a doubt that we gave it our best shot, and it's just time to move on. 

6 hours ago, 615finest said:

Was the Vikings offense really that bad? I heard a lot of talks about Cousins not being good and ofcourse Cook was hurt. Was Defilipo offense really that bad?

Flip was almost exclusively a QB's coach until 2015 with the Browns (when they went 3-13). He had very little experience as a coordinator and it showed. He failed to tailor the offense to the strengths of his players, called too many passing plays, lost the confidence of his team, and didn't mix well with Zimmer. We were optimistic about him initially but that honeymoon ended quickly. I like the Titans too much to recommend him as your new OC.

I want Mike Kafka. Something in the Reid tree to go all out shotgun. Literally know nothing about him except he's been with the Chiefs his entire 2 year NFL coaching career. Screw it can't be much worse than 29th.

He'll probably stay and take over as OC if their current OC is hired as a HC though.

27 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I want Mike Kafka. Something in the Reid tree to go all out shotgun. Literally know nothing about him except he's been with the Chiefs his entire 2 year NFL coaching career. Screw it can't be much worse than 29th.

He'll probably stay and take over as OC if their current OC is hired as a HC though.

Mike Kafka was the back up QB for a while when Reid was the HC of the Eagles...  So he likely knows a bit about coaching qbs which would be something that may help Mariota as well.

Monken is a good OC but not sure the offense would fit Mariota he runs a lot of vertical pass plays with a lot of 5-7 step drops.  Need lots of O line protection. 

Hue Jackson is the best name I've seen mentioned ITT so far. He's a proven success at OC, and he's essentially a non-threat to leave for a HC job due to his massive flop in Cleveland. Basically the offensive version of Gus Bradley.

If not him, I want someone who will run some variation of the spread and actually utilize Mariota's strengths. I still think he belongs in a system that emphasizes 3 and 4 wide sets and short to intermediate route concepts. He's always been a rhythm passer, and I still think he could thrive in a system like that.  

EDIT: I will also add that I think a quick-release offense like the one mentioned above would do wonders for his injury issues.   

1 minute ago, 615finest said:

The article about Monken makes him a very intriguing option. He likes to spread the field and take deep shots.

That's fine to think about, until we think about our offensive line. Can they give anyone that time to throw downfield. Would need to change up those interior guys.

Archived