Vic Fangio hired by Broncos

WindyCity

1 hour ago, GBHalas said:

I'd like to see Jay Rodgers promoted to DC.  He has done an amazing job with the guys he has been given.   Hicks when he signed wasn't a coveted free agent, now he could be a perennial pro bowler, and Goldman has turned into a linchpin of this defense.  Robertson-Harris was a free agent, and Nichols was a late round pick, now both are solid starters/rotational guys.  Pace always talks about rewarding the guys from within, and I think this well liked coach should get rewarded for what he has done with this defense along with Vic.

I wouldn't mind Jay Rod but I'd rather Donatell if we're going to promote someone from last year's staff. He has experience calling plays and the work he has done with Fuller, Callahan, Jackson and Amos has been just as impressive. 

10 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think this will be similar to the Helfrich hire... someone out of left field no one expects

At this point, with many of the candidates we'd mentioned earlier no longer available, the situation could demand that. The big difference between the two positions is that the OC is a Nagy puppet whose sole role is to offer ideas about play design. The DC will be autonomous and expected to hold down that side of the ball without oversight. Therefore, this might suggest someone with more experience. Who knows. I guess we'll find out at some point in the not too distant future. 

8 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

Any guesses Mike?

Something tells me we will bring someone in with both pro and college experience...Matt House from Kentucky would be a very left field choice...Dave Aranda would also be an interesting college choice...

Pro wise if it's not inhouse (which I suspect it will be just not the guy we all think/hope) then I think Chris Hewitt make a lot of sense...not sure Nagy goes with another guy who could be one and done.

28 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Brent Venables is one of the more popular candidates from the college game but he has no NFL experience as a player or coach.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Something tells me we will bring someone in with both pro and college experience...Matt House from Kentucky would be a very left field choice...Dave Aranda would also be an interesting college choice...

Pro wise if it's not inhouse (which I suspect it will be just not the guy we all think/hope) then I think Chris Hewitt make a lot of sense...not sure Nagy goes with another guy who could be one and done.

Aranda and Venables both make over $2M per season in college. The idea that either would leave (unless it's for a college head coaching job for double the pay) seems far fetched. Either way I can't see Venables' personality fitting in the NFL. The guy is a screaming lunatic.

54 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Is there a reason it can't be Vance Joseph? Curious, may have missed something...

The problem with Vance Joseph is that the Broncos defense regressed with him as coach and that was with Miller and Chubb this past year. I tend to think Joseph will go with Gase to the Jets.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Nagy has to be careful with this selection since he is an offensive guy and this defensive guy has to be able to really run the defense. It can't be Mel Tucker or Bob Babich all over again. Still think it should be someone who is more a 3-4 guy who is a little more aggressive with his front 7. As most of these players were brought in to play in a 3-4 hybrid defense. Mack can play DE but don't think Floyd can play every down at DE. The Bears just need someone who can be competent and be some one the players respect as they are talented on defense and still should be good.

2 hours ago, TB 1 said:

Nagy has to be careful with this selection since he is an offensive guy and this defensive guy has to be able to really run the defense. It can't be Mel Tucker or Bob Babich all over again. Still think it should be someone who is more a 3-4 guy who is a little more aggressive with his front 7. As most of these players were brought in to play in a 3-4 hybrid defense. Mack can play DE but don't think Floyd can play every down at DE. The Bears just need someone who can be competent and be some one the players respect as they are talented on defense and still should be good.

In a 4-3 I think Floyd would be the SAM, Trevathan the MIKE, and Smith the WILL (AS he is clearly the best athlete).

On nickel Floyd would best kick down to a wide-9 if his hand is in the dirt IMO. Take advantage of that burst. 

Edit - not saying I want to change. They ran the 3-4 incredibly well, no reason to change it. Just stating an opinion. 

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Aranda and Venables both make over $2M per season in college. The idea that either would leave (unless it's for a college head coaching job for double the pay) seems far fetched. Either way I can't see Venables' personality fitting in the NFL. The guy is a screaming lunatic.

I wouldn't want Venables...the fact he isn't a HC already says a lot...for Aranda it would be more a career move and looking to get his foot in the door when it comes to the pros. 

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Is there a reason it can't be Vance Joseph? Curious, may have missed something...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard on a podcast that Miami had the 29th ranked defense in his last year there... he's not for me thanks.

Archived