Vic Fangio hired by Broncos

WindyCity

10 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think this will be similar to the Helfrich hire... someone out of left field no one expects

Not sure this has been mentioned yet or not but Roy Anderson maybe? 

He has worked with Fangio since the BAL days about ~10 years ago where he worked with the likes Ed Reed and has been the DB asst coach for the past 2 years working along side DOnatell, mainly with the safeties. 

Another one to throw out there would be Glenn Pires. A 20+ year vet who has been working beside Fangio for the last few years.

I don’t like the idea of selecting an inferior coach just for the sake of continuity. Reminds me of the Dowell Loggains promotion. 

The more I think about it the more this really becomes a huge moment for Nagy/Pace. I truly think they were set on Bowles and now are scrambling, yrusting a young up and comer to run the defense in it’s entirety Is about as risky as it gets. 

35 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I don’t like the idea of selecting an inferior coach just for the sake of continuity. Reminds me of the Dowell Loggains promotion. 

The more I think about it the more this really becomes a huge moment for Nagy/Pace. I truly think they were set on Bowles and now are scrambling, yrusting a young up and comer to run the defense in it’s entirety Is about as risky as it gets. 

I agree to an extent Hiring within has come back to bite them in the past (Babich and Loggains as you mentioned come to mind).

But it does seem like Pace/Nagy are looking at one major qualification for the job and that's experience. 

Plus, if you really believe in coaches taking the same approach as their mentor (Nagy/Reid) then we would have to assume that hiring within is a strong possibility as well because Reid has been big on this.

So IMO it looks like it comes to experience from a current staff member ans presumably one recommended by Fangio himself. That's why guys such as Donatell and Pires would make sense. 

1 hour ago, pigsooie5 said:

Who we talking about that's inferior though?  Donatell is veteran NFL coach with actual experience as a DC.  Matt Bowen even endorsed him recently on twitter saying how he's a bright defensive mind.

I'm more hesitant to promote a guy that has no experience in calling plays.  This is an already elite defense that is used to having a veteran coach leading them.  Might be a mistake to go with a younger guy here with no play calling experience.

For that reason Donatell and Pagano are my top two options.

9 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard on a podcast that Miami had the 29th ranked defense in his last year there... he's not for me thanks.

You could be right in your estimation. Joseph also could have been asked to win a race driving a Hyundai. The Bears have a Ferrari...

Archived