Vic Fangio hired by Broncos

WindyCity

Finding a way to persuade Donatell to stay and become DC would be my next choice if Fangio goes. Want to try and keep as many of the coaches around as possible but Vic's always going to want to take some of his guys if he goes.

10 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Him being a DC rather than HC makes me a lot less concerned about whatever issues people may have with his personality. He clearly would be the #3 football figure in Halas Hall, behind Pace and Nagy. 

The locker room is far stronger than NYJ and BUF ever were. He wouldn't cause any rifts here. 

Not banging the table for him by any means, but but far better than anything we had between Rivera and Vic. I think we easily maintain a top 5 defense even if we have to downgrade at NB and SS with any of the former HCs.  

That would certainly make things interesting.  I think a lot of our players are more mature than Rex though.

I don't know if Rex would work here for a couple reasons:

1. He was the only really outspoken analyst to put Parkey on blast over his missed kick...  Honest and true as that may be, I'd have no doubt it rubbed a bunch of the Bears players the wrong way, given how tight knit the team seems to be under Nagy.

2. Rex likes sending the heat with Blitz pressures pretty constantly and that involves leaving the DBs on an island.  I don't know that Fuller can swap to a very heavy press-man style coverage without issue, as that's REALLY not his game. Beyond the corners, the scheme itself is fairly different from what the guys have been learning and doing.  There may be some significant issues where their instincts are simply wrong for a more aggressive system, because they've been learning to play in a safer one.

3. We don't have enough OLBs to rotate in and send pressure constantly.... This could be overcome with Roquan and Trevethan coming more but still a concern.

Those things aside, at the very least, Rex being here would be entertaining as hell... I'm not at all sure it'd be at all the right move, but it certainly wouldn't be boring, and I'd watch the hell out of it.

If Fangio leaves, I would want Donatell as my first choice due to his familiarity with the scheme, but he's also out of a contract and more likely to follow Vic so in that case my other choice would be Steve Wilks.

He's already familiar with the Bears organization having worked here under Lovie here and he also worked under Rivera and Sean McDermott who are both cut from the Andy Reid coaching tree.  Would make the most sense.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is driving me crazy.

Latest I've heard on the radio is Bowles hasn't finalized anything and that he and Nagy talk all the time. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Maybe Bowles is waiting on news regarding Fangio, too. 

You'd have to think we're a hell of a lot more attractive than Tampa would be. The defense is already built and elite. 

Just now, Epyon said:

You'd have to think we're a hell of a lot more attractive than Tampa would be. The defense is already built and elite. 

Yeah it would help him get another HC job 

3 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I thought Bowles was already confirmed to be a part of Arians' staff?

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I thought Bowles was already confirmed to be a part of Arians' staff?

Latest I heard is he has not confirmed or signed anything and is waiting to see what his options are. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.

Why Bowles would want to follow Arians to a lesser defensive team is beyond me.

Archived