Vic Fangio hired by Broncos

WindyCity

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

No. The defense was historically good this year so why change it at all? Especially a major change such as switching to a 4-3. That would be a historically stupid decision to make. 

He isn't purely a 4-3 defensive coordinator, Alex Brown played for him and said as much.

17 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

With how complex the coverages we run are I think someone with a DB background is a good call.

Besides Donatell, guys who fit that profile and who have experience calling plays that I think would be good fits are Pagano and Wilks.  

I'm kind of liking Pagano more and more.  His experience coordinating defense for the Ravens organization is huge.  He's also very well respected by his players. 

Only concern here is that if Bears have another great season on defense then he will likely be considered for a head coaching opportunity next off season.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Wilks was DC for one year under Chico.

He sucked in Arizona.

He is not an option for me for anything outside of DB coach.

His offense sucked sure, but the defense was actually not bad when you consider they were on the field for the majority of games they played.

It's a bit unfair to judge a coach for how he did leading a team in a crappy situation vs how he did as a coordinator in previous stops.  Just look at Rod Marinelli as a prime example of that.  0-16 as HC of the Lions and the coordinated some of the best Bears D's we've seen.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Coming from a Packer fan, Donatell was our DC many years back and didn't do so well.  Good DB coach, so you might hope they go after someone else.  Also, I heard that Fangio might take Dontelle with him as his DC on paper.  He was the DC during that 4th and 24 defensive screw up.  Kris Richards from Dallas would be a good pick up for your team.  

@G08 count the stats for the defense when he was DC, you're right it was nothing special. But I figure after being under Fangio he might have improved too. I'm sure he learned a lot. Could be wrong though, maybe he is just meant to be a secondary coach. 

Richard would be a solid hire, with him only being signed by the Cowboys in 2018 I didn't even think of him. He likely will either get a HC gig or take over for Rod when He hangs them up, I can't imagine Jones would let him walk from his contract though. Worth asking though, definitely. 

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

@G08 count the stats for the defense when he was DC, you're right it was nothing special. But I figure after being under Fangio he might have improved too. I'm sure he learned a lot. Could be wrong though, maybe he is just meant to be a secondary coach. 

Richard would be a solid hire, with him only being signed by the Cowboys in 2018 I didn't even think of him. He likely will either get a HC gig or take over for Rod when He hangs them up, I can't imagine Jones would let him walk from his contract though. Worth asking though, definitely. 

Richard is the favorite for the Dolphins HC job.  This is why they have yet to make any moves.

Otherwise he's not going anywhere to make a lateral move.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

He has rubbed people up the wrong way at every stop...Rex is a guy you bring in when you need a culture shock and to bring about change...we don't need that at all...truthfully even if it's not Donatell if any of the current staff are able to step up and call plays then we should go that route as continuity is what we are crying out for...Rex would not offer that and would want to do things his way and only his way.

It seems that Rex Ryan rubs You guys the wrong way... Rex is beloved in the city of Baltimore by those fans and organization.. HOF Ray Lewis swears by Rex as well as future HOF Ngata, Suggs, and Reed. When Rex went to the jets Baltimore players flocked to Jersey to play for him.. It came crashing down in NY once the organization realized they didnt have a QB in Sanchez. And The Media said he put too much pressure on the team guaranteeing SuperBowls in the preason.. Those teams went to Back 2 Back AFC championships with Rex's Defense, underwhelming performances from Sanchez, and a RB Jerry Angelo ran out of town in Thomas Jones... That's Not bad imo...

The only time I remember Rex having real issues was in Buffalo and let's face it, When was the last time Buffalo has had their **** together. If I'm not mistaken he clashed with Marcel Dareus who the team later got rid of anyway after Rex because he was a head case...

You guys act like the bears model themselves after the patriots...  All our players and Staff raved about this year was the FUN atmosphere created... From Club Dub, End Zone Celebrations, And Fat Guys Scoring Tds. That sounds like a crew Rex would fit right into.

As far as his personality in the local media it is a match made in Heaven. The only coaches to really have success in this city all have STRONG personalities...(Ditka, PJackson, Thibodeau, Coach Q, Maddon, Ozzie) the lone exception was Lovie and the media ran him out of town. 

I'm All in On Rex... The Games our defense got in trouble were always in the 4th quarter when Fangio would simply play prevent and it cost us big time.. With Rex at the helm that simply wont happen. 

And if Rex doesn't get a chance how about Jack Del Rio?

37 minutes ago, Hurricanes773 said:

It seems that Rex Ryan rubs You guys the wrong way... Rex is beloved in the city of Baltimore by those fans and organization.. HOF Ray Lewis swears by Rex as well as future HOF Ngata, Suggs, and Reed. When Rex went to the jets Baltimore players flocked to Jersey to play for him.. It came crashing down in NY once the organization realized they didnt have a QB in Sanchez. And The Media said he put too much pressure on the team guaranteeing SuperBowls in the preason.. Those teams went to Back 2 Back AFC championships with Rex's Defense, underwhelming performances from Sanchez, and a RB Jerry Angelo ran out of town in Thomas Jones... That's Not bad imo...

The only time I remember Rex having real issues was in Buffalo and let's face it, When was the last time Buffalo has had their **** together. If I'm not mistaken he clashed with Marcel Dareus who the team later got rid of anyway after Rex because he was a head case...

You guys act like the bears model themselves after the patriots...  All our players and Staff raved about this year was the FUN atmosphere created... From Club Dub, End Zone Celebrations, And Fat Guys Scoring Tds. That sounds like a crew Rex would fit right into.

As far as his personality in the local media it is a match made in Heaven. The only coaches to really have success in this city all have STRONG personalities...(Ditka, PJackson, Thibodeau, Coach Q, Maddon, Ozzie) the lone exception was Lovie and the media ran him out of town. 

I'm All in On Rex... The Games our defense got in trouble were always in the 4th quarter when Fangio would simply play prevent and it cost us big time.. With Rex at the helm that simply wont happen. 

I like Rex. With Pace and Nagy being th clear top two Rex won't have the freedom to pop off like some of his sound bites. Also I have enough faith in those two that a coach shouldn't be able to disrupt a locker room, if not then they're not leaders like we need. 

Rex is a hell of a DC, Pace has been finding solid FA pick ups and drafting well, so Rex doesn't even have personnel control. Nagy only needs to focus on Try and the offense, so let our DC own the defense. After a paid of HC stints Rex likely will enjoy getting to focus on a limited aspect of the team and getting to walk into the cast of players around him. There is no rebuild like he has had to do in NY and BUF, he walks in and starts focusing on beating the **** out of opposing QBs.

Edit - Nagy and Pace can control whatever "sideshow" that comes with him. Pace survived rebuilding after Emery and Trestman f***ed the team up, he dealt with White having the injuries, Fox being a dead fish, etc. I'm sure he can handle Nagy and Ryan while winning the division. 

6 hours ago, G08 said:

He isn't purely a 4-3 defensive coordinator, Alex Brown played for him and said as much.

Just because he possibly can doesn't mean he would though. If he was willing and capable off doing so we would've have seen it happen by now.

He has taken the 4-3 with him everywhere he has gone, including taking over a Wade Phillips (3-4) led defense and converting it a 4-3. 

3 hours ago, Hurricanes773 said:

I know you're just brain storming here but Hell No!

Keep that bum as far away from this team as possible. His entire career have been carried by Mike Smith and John Fox. Speaking of which, haven't we learned our lesson on bringing in retread coaches.

3 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

The problem with Rex is that there is always a sideshow with him.  No one doubts him as a DC, but do we want that potential for personality clash to shatter the locker room? 

Agree. If anyone needs any proof of this, go back and watch hard knocks. I like the guy for being as entertaining as he is and never understood the hate he got for it but coaching wise, no.

I'd like to see Jay Rodgers promoted to DC.  He has done an amazing job with the guys he has been given.   Hicks when he signed wasn't a coveted free agent, now he could be a perennial pro bowler, and Goldman has turned into a linchpin of this defense.  Robertson-Harris was a free agent, and Nichols was a late round pick, now both are solid starters/rotational guys.  Pace always talks about rewarding the guys from within, and I think this well liked coach should get rewarded for what he has done with this defense along with Vic.

54 minutes ago, GBHalas said:

I'd like to see Jay Rodgers promoted to DC.  He has done an amazing job with the guys he has been given.   Hicks when he signed wasn't a coveted free agent, now he could be a perennial pro bowler, and Goldman has turned into a linchpin of this defense.  Robertson-Harris was a free agent, and Nichols was a late round pick, now both are solid starters/rotational guys.  Pace always talks about rewarding the guys from within, and I think this well liked coach should get rewarded for what he has done with this defense along with Vic.

Post more

Archived