Vic Fangio hired by Broncos

WindyCity

12 hours ago, dafreak said:

Vic has been great but I think (jmo) that the defense can be better without him. Hoping he gets the job in Denver.

On what basis do you make this claim?  I keep seeing you make this assertion but you never back it up with logic other than "we can do better"

5 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

On what basis do you make this claim?  I keep seeing you make this assertion but you never back it up with logic other than "we can do better"

Yeah I don't get it.  If you want what's best for the Bears D and continuity then I wouldn't hope he gets the Broncos job.  If he does then good for him because he's earned it but the options to replace him aren't exactly better.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Yeah I don't get it.  If you want what's best for the Bears D and continuity then I wouldn't hope he gets the Broncos job.  If he does then good for him because he's earned it but the options to replace him aren't exactly better.

This is one of those situations where I think people are rationalizing the likely loss and feeling like we will be better off without him.  This guy took the worst defense this team has had in its history (which is reaching its 100th year this coming season), to the best defense in the NFL in 4 seasons.  Regardless of whether or not we like his level of aggression, this is a team that had an average of like 17 ppg given up, and gave up 16 in the one playoff game.  Its very hard to improve on that.  We will absolutely be worse off without him than with him, at least at first.   I'm also skeptical of Donatell being able to take his spot, as I believe he was considered a big failure at DC prior to joining Fangio's staff in SF.

5 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

This is one of those situations where I think people are rationalizing the likely loss and feeling like we will be better off without him.  This guy took the worst defense this team has had in its history (which is reaching its 100th year this coming season), to the best defense in the NFL in 4 seasons.  Regardless of whether or not we like his level of aggression, this is a team that had an average of like 17 ppg given up, and gave up 16 in the one playoff game.  Its very hard to improve on that.  We will absolutely be worse off without him than with him, at least at first.   I'm also skeptical of Donatell being able to take his spot, as I believe he was considered a big failure at DC prior to joining Fangio's staff in SF.

Agreed.  There's no way of sugar coating this loss if it happens.  It's not easy to replace a guy like Vic.

That said if it happens then I'm still confident this defense can be dominant next season with whoever is in charge, provided they can stay healthy.

14 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Donatell could very well be joining him in Denver.

14 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Ed Donatell has been a DC for 7 seasons, these are his rankings in points allowed:

GB 14

GB 5

GB 12

GB 11

ATL 14

ATL 18

ATL 15

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

bye bye Fangio

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowFollow @AdamSchefter
More

Denver reached agreement with Bears’ DC Vic Fangio to become the Broncos’ next head coach, sources tell me and @DanGrazianoESPN. It will be a four-year deal plus a team option for a fifth, per source.

Congrats to Vic, that's awesome for him...and well deserved...

Archived