Baltimore Ravens 2018-19 Roster Tracker

coordinator0

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Weird....he's so quick AND fast. Hard to imagine a guy known for his athleticism sucks at picking up guys in coverage, but I have seen superfreaks that suck at it. That being said, the Browns need violent edge setters and sure tacklers. He'd be an ideal SLB for us methinks. We could always pull him on passing downs. He's probably best suited for an OLB role with a 4-3 team, right?

He's neither of those any longer. He's terrible in space and in coverage.

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Mosley, Urban, RG3, Gus Edwards, Michael Pierce, Alex Collins (Smokey Brown, if he wants to play for us)

Potentially make a play for a Free agent Center. 

FS) Take a run at Earl Thomas. I think he'd be a great addition if Weddle retires or we cut him. 

WR) Middle of the road WR like a Cobb or Chris Hogan. 

You never know what camp cuts are going to happen. I want to have Suggs on the team but not at 8 million when he's 36.

Your pay breakdown was good though, it's definitely possible he comes in at the breakdown you've stated. I'm not great when it comes to the numbers of it all. You seem pretty well versed in pay breakdown. I didn't mean it as a slight to you. I'm fully aware I've replied not agreeing with some of your points today, I'm not jumping on ya. I actually agree with most of what you say. 

I took no offense. I just figured you must be in the Mosley camp. Resigning Suggs potentially doesn’t make sense if we sign Mosley. But if we let go of Mosley and ride with Peanut and Young, we can bring back our best edge setter in Suggs AND still have the ability to add a splash FA like Thomas (though he’ll probably go to Dallas). More likely I could see the front office picking up a veteran center like you mentioned. That way they don’t have to rely on Skura and could go BPA in the draft. That said, there doesn’t appear to be a good class of centers in UFA nor in the draft. The scouting team will really have to put together a good job in that department this year more than ever.

"Speak with Eric DeCosta".... Wow it's going to take a while for that to sink in. No more Ozzie.

Weddle and Jefferson are so into being Ravens, and obviously they're great teammates/mentors to the rest of the players. Some wonderful qualities. Yet both of them are the worst players on the defense. It's rough, but the malignancy must be cut out for the team to move forward healthy.

13 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

"Speak with Eric DeCosta".... Wow it's going to take a while for that to sink in. No more Ozzie.

Weddle and Jefferson are so into being Ravens, and obviously they're great teammates/mentors to the rest of the players. Some wonderful qualities. Yet both of them are the worst players on the defense. It's rough, but the malignancy must be cut out for the team to move forward healthy.

Neither Jefferson or Weddle have the ranged required to be really effective as safeties. Jefferson is much more of a box safety and less versatile than advertised. Who we chose to retain of Suggs, Mosley, Z. Smith and Urban might dictate what we do with Jefferson and Weddle. It wouldn't surprise me that Jefferson is in no danger of getting cut or dealt.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Neither Jefferson or Weddle have the ranged required to be really effective as safeties. Jefferson is much more of a box safety and less versatile than advertised. Who we chose to retain of Suggs, Mosley, Z. Smith and Urban might dictate what we do with Jefferson and Weddle. It wouldn't surprise me that Jefferson is in no danger of getting cut or dealt.

To be fair what Jefferson was advertised as out of Arizona was basically a dime that played at/near the LoS. Nothing near what the Ravens (unsurprisingly) use him as. And this was brought up by many on here at the time of signing and before then when the rumors started flying about the team's interest in him. I don't think anybody should be surprised by Tony failing in the role he's in.

19 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Yup. Mosley is close to that list too. Seems kind of... cruel to think the team is better off without Weddle but it's true. Think how nasty the defense could be with Onwussor and Young starting inside with Clark and a new, competent, rangy safety next to him. The pass defense (besides covering the middle, where these potential new elements would drastically help) wasn't even a huge weakness this past season. Need Williams to stay on top of his weight-loss issues and Judon to give a full-season of production and the pass-rush looks a ton better too even with Smith probably gone.

Would cutting Weddle and Jefferson potentially leave a leadership void on defense, especially with both Suggs and Mosley also FAs?

I hope Peanut and/or Kenny Young have been working on their communication skills too, because if Mosley and Weddle are gone I'd imagine that they'd be the first guys in line to get the defensive headset and I don't want to see what happened in the Cincinnati game happen again

17 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Would cutting Weddle and Jefferson potentially leave a leadership void on defense, especially with both Suggs and Mosley also FAs?

I hope Peanut and/or Kenny Young have been working on their communication skills too, because if Mosley and Weddle are gone I'd imagine that they'd be the first guys in line to get the defensive headset and I don't want to see what happened in the Cincinnati game happen again

That's the thing too. Like I posted in the other thread leadership is a tangible thing. Losing Mosley and Weddle would hurt in that regard, Suggs the most. Not sure about Jefferson though. 

Thing is, we have no reason to cut Suggs. Just don't use him as a full-time starter. He's fully capable of being a situational player. We have reasons to move on from Jefferson, Mosley, Weddle and even Jimmy Smith. The only leadership void I'm worried about losing is Suggs as he's the last of the "original" Ravens defenses from the mid-2000's.

I’m in the minority here. Our secondary was just much too good this season for me to want to make aggressive changes. It’s not like before Weddle came we were fielding world beaters.. and safety play is down around the league FTMP- outside of the elite young safeties like James, Hooker, and soon to be Fitzpatrick (oh and that safety with the Jets). At least with Weddle he has an elite quality that he brings to the table, his ability to confuse QBs with disguising our coverages. He’s also a really good blitzer. With a better safety partner that can tackle in open space and cover ground, Weddle’s weaknesses can be shielded enough to allow his skillset to be employed on the field. We haven’t seen what this defense could look like without Weddle and that alone is reason enough for me to hesitate to get rid of him.

Jefferson on the other hand is just completely useless here. He might look good in another scheme, but he’s utterly useless here. I’m done with him.

In terms of Urban, Smith, and Mosley... I let them all go. The only one I consider bringing back is Urban and that’s only if he comes back on a very cheap deal. But he’s good enough where he might be able to get paid for his run stuffing quality. But we’ve got guys along the DL that we should be able to turn too. Many veterans thought that Willie Henry would be the guy to breakout this season before he came down with that injury. Speaking of something with Tim Williams, he should be stepping up along with Bowser to fill the void left behind from Zadarius Smith.

Speaking of seeing what the defense looks like without one of it’s leaders, Mosley should be gone. We saw that with Peanut and Young as a pair, their tandem looked quite lethal and both players just seemed to grow more and more as the season went along. Peanut actually looks like a budding star that we need to extend now before his price becomes too high. Mosley is too injury prone and lacks the man coverage skills to hang with tight ends or running backs. He’s the second biggest liability on our defense behind only the abysmal (in our system) Tony Jefferson IMO.

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m in the minority here. Our secondary was just much too good this season for me to want to make aggressive changes. It’s not like before Weddle came we were fielding world beaters.. and safety play is down around the league FTMP- outside of the elite young safeties like James, Hooker, and soon to be Fitzpatrick (oh and that safety with the Jets). At least with Weddle he has an elite quality that he brings to the table, his ability to confuse QBs with disguising our coverages. He’s also a really good blitzer. With a better safety partner that can tackle in open space and cover ground, Weddle’s weaknesses can be shielded enough to allow his skillset to be employed on the field. We haven’t seen what this defense could look like without Weddle and that alone is reason enough for me to hesitate to get rid of him.

Jefferson on the other hand is just completely useless here. He might look good in another scheme, but he’s utterly useless here. I’m done with him.

In terms of Urban, Smith, and Mosley... I let them all go. The only one I consider bringing back is Urban and that’s only if he comes back on a very cheap deal. But he’s good enough where he might be able to get paid for his run stuffing quality. But we’ve got guys along the DL that we should be able to turn too. Many veterans thought that Willie Henry would be the guy to breakout this season before he came down with that injury. Speaking of something with Tim Williams, he should be stepping up along with Bowser to fill the void left behind from Zadarius Smith.

Speaking of seeing what the defense looks like without one of it’s leaders, Mosley should be gone. We saw that with Peanut and Young as a pair, their tandem looked quite lethal and both players just seemed to grow more and more as the season went along. Peanut actually looks like a budding star that we need to extend now before his price becomes too high. Mosley is too injury prone and lacks the man coverage skills to hang with tight ends or running backs. He’s the second biggest liability on our defense behind only the abysmal (in our system) Tony Jefferson IMO.

I agree with all of this I also think changing the secondary a lot would just not make sense. Honestly I think just getting rid of Jefferson and HOPEFULLY getting Earl Thomas would make this unit nickname good. I would keep jimmy smith, Carr Humphrey, Young, Averett, and SJB or Canady great depth let’s dominate with this secondary next season.

As for the rest of the unrestricted free agents I would resign Suggs,RG3, Brown if he comes to a decent deal and that’s it I also would consider getting rid of Crabtree and signing Fitzgerald 

Any tender predictions for our RFAs?

- Before the season who would've thought Peanut's stock would be this up, and Alex Collins' would be this down?

- If we give Pierce a 2nd Round Tender, there's a big chance we actually end up with a 2nd Round Pick. Dude is force against the run and an ascending disrupter against the pass. Michael just turned 26. High Character. High Motor. Superb athlete for his size. A top 5 talent on our Defense/Team. A 2nd Rounder for him is no skin off a Club's back. Vita Vea just went 12th overall in the last draft and he's only 2 years younger than Pierce. 

Archived