Baltimore Ravens 2018-19 Roster Tracker

coordinator0

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

A couple things:

1) You're simultaneously overrating Williams and underrating Wagner. Wagner wasn't just a "above average" protector - he's a top 10, maybe even top 5 RT in the NFL. Osemele at the time was maybe the best LG in football when he left.

2) If we let Williams go, we're going from one elite run defender on a bloated contract to an elite run defender on a rookie contract - whereas going from Wagner to Howard to Hurst/Zeus is a major downgrade.

But, this is all hindsight for the most part. We're fine at OL, we're fine on the DL aside from missing interior pass rush (which isn't something Williams is even blocking considering he's not on the field for most of those snaps anyways), and our cap situation is also fine. I would rather have Wagner and made a couple more moves elsewhere than overpay for Williams, but it is what it is. I'm not too upset about it. 

Yes. All hindsight. What’s more, Osemele I’ve mentioned multiple times over as someone I would’ve signed above Williams.

Whats more you’re understating Williams impact on our defense in years past while overstating Wagner. Wagner played with prime Yanda and was rated as a top 15 OT the time of his departure. He also struggled with durability. We had James Hurst and Alex Lewis as potential replacements waiting in the wings. Whereas behind Williams we had UDFA Pierce who played all of one game. Injury prone Brent Urban. Inconsistent Timmy Jernigan. And average to below average Lawrence Guy. Heck even in 2017 when Williams went down the defense struggled mightily, its only with a new defensive coordinator and the emergence of Pierce in 2017 that Williams seems less significant in impact.

We also had two really good ILBs that as long as they remained clean could wreck havoc in Orr and Mosley. Orr never was able to return. Plenty of those other DL players were scrubs or oft-injured. Williams made the most sense. We had much bigger problems along the DL outside of Williams than outside of Wagner along the OL (at the time we had solutions for the OL problem). What’s more we had one of the top ranked OL units in the NFL last season... and that was without Wagner. It seems to me that the front office made the right decision given the info at hand.

Heck, if Hurst continues to play how he did against the Broncos and continues to remain as durable as he’s been for us, than it only reduces the potential significance of hindsight with regard to Wagner.

You have to stop relying on those damn statistics from PFF and the like. Our oline was not good last season. When Flacco had time, it was because we blocked with 7-8 players and had 1 receiver in route and a RB/TE outlet.

The run blocking improved, but the group couldn't pass protect to save its life.

4 minutes ago, Danand said:

You have to stop relying on those damn statistics from PFF and the like. Our oline was not good last season. When Flacco had time, it was because we blocked with 7-8 players and had 1 receiver in route and a RB/TE outlet.

The run blocking improved, but the group couldn't pass protect to save its life.

Well using the same eyeball test, the defense looked HORRIBLE when Williams was out last season. Yet when he played they pitched three shutouts and were markedly better. That stretch thus shows how valuable he is/was to the defense. Losing him saw was a bigger impact than losing Jimmy Smith or Mosley this season from the eyeball test.

At the very least we at least had great run production from our 2017 OL. Which was a unit improvement from when Wagner was the starter and the unit was mediocre. What the unit lost in pass protection it gained in run blocking ability.

Osemele is the only offensive lineman I regret the Ravens not paying to keep around. Felt that way at the time and it's the same thing with hindsight. I'm not missing Wagner all that much. I've said it before but I see a lot of Lions games living in Michigan. He's been okay, but not worth losing Brandon Williams or something stupid like that. I am fairly confident that Orlando is going to be better. If it weren't for the situation that Baltimore was left with I don't think anybody would have wanted Jensen back at anything near the price Tampa Bay paid for him. And this is coming from someone that believed in Jensen since his spot starts at guard before moving to center. 

On 9/26/2018 at 2:28 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The smarter move would not to be having a dude play his first game back from injury in what'll be the most physical game of the year.

Didn't you just say this in the other thread:

"No I mean who is this "Hayden Hurst" guy. Never heard of him before."

I don’t know if it’d call this the most physical game of the year, the way the league has gone, it has ruined the Ravens-Steelers rivalry more than any other... because that’s what it was built on. But you can’t be overly physical now. All games are just games now. The rivalry seems to be more in simple bragging rights moreso than anything else.

??‍♀️

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I don’t know if it’d call this the most physical game of the year, the way the league has gone, it has ruined the Ravens-Steelers rivalry more than any other... because that’s what it was built on. But you can’t be overly physical now. All games are just games now. The rivalry seems to be more in simple bragging rights moreso than anything else.

??‍♀️

Also, Pittsburgh's defense is not physical. Or intimidating. Not good either. 

On 2018-09-27 at 8:37 PM, coordinator0 said:

Also, Pittsburgh's defense is not physical. Or intimidating. Not good either. 

it really is that bad.  I can't recall it EVER being that bad since I started watching. The new outlook on a game is "who has last possession wins" :S  I miss low scoring games with good D, and this used to be the best one in the last decade. 

I am interested in seeing if the Ravens go after burns, because our safety help for him seems to never be on time. What happened to the rest of us if we keep showing up late for work?  For our D to be legit we need a new OLB, Safety and CB . I expect a high scoring game probably 24+ a team unless the weather is really bad

On 2018-09-27 at 6:48 PM, diamondbull424 said:

??‍♀️

the league is nothing like it used to be, and keeps going in the wrong direction.  I can't even think of what it will be like 5 years from now, probably unwatchable 

who's excited for JSmith and HHurst to further strengthen 2 units that played great thus far this season? i know i am. Carr played amazing yesterday and made good for his poor game last season. enter Jimmy, thats exiting outlook.

Hurst will need to play up to his draft status to get his share of targets as all 4 guys including Boyle made plays in PBurgh 

Archived