Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

Under Contract

QB: Lamar Jackson / Robert Griffin III / Trace McSorley

RB: Mark Ingram / Gus Edwards / Justice Hill

FB: Patrick Ricard

WR: Marquise Brown / Miles Boykin / Willie Snead / Chris Moore / Seth Roberts / Jaleel Scott

TE: Nick Boyle / Mark Andrews / Hayden Hurst

OT: Ronnie Stanley / Orlando Brown / Greg Senat 

OG: Marshal Yanda / James Hurst / Ben Powers / Patrick Mekari

C: Matt Skura / Bradley Bozeman

DL: Brandon Williams / Michael Pierce / Chris Wormley / Daylon Mack

OLB: Matt Judon / Pernell McPhee / Tyus Bowser / Tim Williams / Jaylon Ferguson

ILB: Patrick Onwuasor / Kenny Young / Chris Board / Otaro Alaka 

CB: Jimmy Smith / Marlon Humphrey / Brandon Carr / Cyrus Jones / Anthony Averett / Iman Marshall /Justin Bethel

S: Earl Thomas / Tony Jefferson / Chuck Clark / Anthony Levine / Deshon Elliot

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch

LS: Morgan Cox

IR: Kenneth Dixon / Randin Crecelius / Alvin Jones / Tavon Young / Fish Smithson

• Like 2

I have no clue about cap and how it works and what would be wise to do, BUT, how much do we lose if we let Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr and Eric Weddle play out their contracts? We might "overpay" this year, but the year after that we should be golden to extend other key personel.

I wouldn't mind bringing back Suggs, Urban, RGIII, Boyle, Maxx, Collins, Pierce, Onwuasor, Skura, Eluemanor and Edwards

• Like 1

Low key I want both Maxx and Boyle brought back as well. Their blocking is tremendous and Maxx finally seems to be hitting his stride as a valuable H-back type of player. I would cut Patrick Ricard, tbh. We don't need him anymore.

Also, are we talking about coaching changes in here? Because I still want to re-iterate that Bobby Engram (WR's coach) should've been fired YEARS ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

So right now we're projecting at about $35 million cap space according to Spotrac. We'd free up 10 million by trading Flacco. How much more is freed up if Weddle retires and/or Crabtree is cut? 

For future reference, the link to OverTheCap's Baltimore page is below. Spotrac is fairly unreliable. McFarland's sheet is the best for Ravens info but OverTheCap is just as good when everything gets updated.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/baltimore-ravens/

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Low key I want both Maxx and Boyle brought back as well. Their blocking is tremendous and Maxx finally seems to be hitting his stride as a valuable H-back type of player. I would cut Patrick Ricard, tbh. We don't need him anymore.

Also, are we talking about coaching changes in here? Because I still want to re-iterate that Bobby Engram (WR's coach) should've been fired YEARS ago.

Just move Ricard back to the DL. He's better there anyways. And I'd keep this thread more towards the players/cap discussion. 

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I have no clue about cap and how it works and what would be wise to do, BUT, how much do we lose if we let Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr and Eric Weddle play out their contracts? We might "overpay" this year, but the year after that we should be golden to extend other key personel.

I wouldn't mind bringing back Suggs, Urban, RGIII, Boyle, Maxx, Collins, Pierce, Onwuasor, Skura, Eluemanor and Edwards

If by lose you mean not getting the cap space that cutting them would gain, then $21 million. And if future dead money is a concern then you're only worried about Carr ($1 million in 2019 and 2020) since Smith and Weddle will be in the last year of their contracts.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-08-at-7.58.38-AM.png

• Like 1

The only one's I'd move on from in that list of possible cap casualties c0 posted above is Flacco (obviously, try to find a trade for a 2nd or 3rd rounder), Jefferson (we misuse him and a $12.6m cap hit for what he does for us is ridiculous) and Crabtree.  I'd keep Weddle, Smith and Carr

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

This is a useful chart! Thanks for posting.

The only player who will definitely be jettisoned is Flacco (most likely by trade). 

Jimmy Smith's number is high, but I wonder if he is willing to take a pay cut to stay around. If not, he's cut. 

Snead's contract is very cut-able, but he was decent this year. I wonder if the Ravens would get equal production from a receiving TE like Hurst or Andrews in his spot, though. He plays like a TE at WR (good blocking, low speed), I don't think his role would be hard to replace. 

Crabtree had a rough year, but that's a lot of dead money if we cut him. I like his competitiveness, and I think he can work out a rapport with Lamar. I would keep him. I trust him to come back and work hard in the offseason. 

Koch could be cut, that's an easy $3 million in savings. He was a great punter, he's still good but fading a bit. You can run trick plays (passing or running) with him, he's a good athlete. If Harbaugh stays, Koch stays. 

That's too much dead money to cut Jefferson, he stays. But they Ravens need to add some young safeties in the draft.  

No reason to cut Williams, Carr, Yanda, Weddle. All productive players and respected veterans whose absence would hurt the team.

48 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

This is a useful chart! Thanks for posting.

The only player who will definitely be jettisoned is Flacco (most likely by trade). 

Jimmy Smith's number is high, but I wonder if he is willing to take a pay cut to stay around. If not, he's cut. 

Snead's contract is very cut-able, but he was decent this year. I wonder if the Ravens would get equal production from a receiving TE like Hurst or Andrews in his spot, though. He plays like a TE at WR (good blocking, low speed), I don't think his role would be hard to replace. 

Crabtree had a rough year, but that's a lot of dead money if we cut him. I like his competitiveness, and I think he can work out a rapport with Lamar. I would keep him. I trust him to come back and work hard in the offseason. 

Koch could be cut, that's an easy $3 million in savings. He was a great punter, he's still good but fading a bit. You can run trick plays (passing or running) with him, he's a good athlete. If Harbaugh stays, Koch stays. 

That's too much dead money to cut Jefferson, he stays. But they Ravens need to add some young safeties in the draft.  

No reason to cut Williams, Carr, Yanda, Weddle. All productive players and respected veterans whose absence would hurt the team.

Any word on how Kaare is recovering? I thought he played well enough in the preseason to beat out Koch when you factor in cap space.

6 hours ago, Danand said:

That Brandon Williams contract is hefty. And Jimmy's cap number is higher than I anticipated.

constant restructures will do that to you.

if im not mistaking, Williams' contract has already been restructured twice, and most of the contracts in that charts have been at least once.

hope DeCosta changes that, but we had that same discussion last year already.

To me it seems like we have somewhat painted ourselves into a corner.

If we look besides Flacco, who will most likely be traded to a team who is willing to restructure/give him a new long term contract, there isn’t anyone really expendable on the list who we can cut without a low of deadmoney.

I could see it make sense to keep the veterans to play out their contracts and avoid a lot of deadmoney. Once Jimmy returned full from injury he played better, Carr still plays at a high level and has no injury concerns at a position we have struggled to find consistent players at for years, I am so surprised I am suddenly in favor of the addition of him.

Snead is the one I really like to keep. I thought he played with a physicality that really brought some value to the offense. Crabtree I am sick and tired of seeing his drops (my girlfriend saw his name yesterday, she is still laughing and refuse to call him anything but “lortetræ/crap tree”) but he is a valuable leader at the position where we potentially have Snead, 2/3 second year players and a rookie. He is also a feisty blocker who takes pride in that part of the game.

The safety position is the place where I have the most doubts. Jefferson is a miscast as anything but a roamer at the LoS and run stopper and Weddle doesn’t have the range to play deep so we have two safeties who doesn’t supplement each other very well. While Clark and Elliot might be able to man the free safety spot, I really think we need a centerfielder type with discipline and great range but that is suddenly a crowded safety room if we draft that type or bring in Earl Thomas. Then either Weddle or Jefferson has to go.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Brandon Carr: This should be obvious, a good durable corner whose cap number is only $7m, if anyone is even considering cutting him your cap knowledge is flawed. You’re not going to find a quality corner for that kind of price with the cap increase. /keep

Michael Crabtree: If you look at his play under with all the drops you’d have him on the fringe, but then you look at how he brings grit to the WR position and the fact that if we cut him we open up a huge need at receiver with no obvious solution... and the answer is clear, you keep him for at least another year. /keep

Joe Flacco: Trade/cut. The team might be forced to cut him. He will surely have a market, but at what price? If a team believes enough in Flacco to make him their starter, then it makes the most sense for them to trade a 3rd and conditional pick to acquire him. As signing him as a FA starter isn’t likely going to provide a discount and you’ll also have to pay a signing bonus. With his current contract, you’re essentially signing him to 3 separate 1 year deals. He can be cut at anytime for no dead cap. Which means you can bring in Flacco until you develop a young option to take over the reigns. /trade

Tony Jefferson: Dead money be damned. This guy isn’t a fit and he makes the team worse. He adds no veteran quality to this team. He has replacement options on the roster that are cheaper and his dead money will be gone after one season. You cut your ties with him now because 2019, we’re not cap strapped and haven’t any stars in their primes looking for deals. 2020 and beyond that might not be the case. We need to cut our losses (literally) with this signing. /cut

Sam Koch: I find it hilarious that people are actually considering this one. Koch isn’t just a punter, if he were cutting him MIGHT make sense. Koch is also a vital part of our kicking game. Many here are drastically underrating the performance that Koch has had with his consistency in placing balls for Justin Tucker. That isn’t a simple skill, especially in clutch moments. Yet Koch has proven time and time again to get the job done. Our kicking game is too vital to mess with. $3m is an easy price to pay for that peace of mind and for a pro bowl caliber punter. /keep

Jimmy Smith: He’s a fringe guy based off his play for much of the season. But he was coming back from an Achilles injury, he looked much better to close out the year. Quality corners that aren’t on rookie deals are going to cost you around what Smith is making. Smith is also a hungry veteran at this point that is playing for his football legacy. That can’t be discounted. I keep him, regardless of if he takes a pay cut. I mean, where are people suggesting that we use this money? For CJ Mosley?? The guy who gets fried in man coverage by ancient TEs? 😂 /keep

Willie Snead: Easily our most consistent receiver. No brainer. You keep this man. /keep

Eric Weddle: I can see why his play as a deep safety and as a tackler might seemingly make out him on the cut block. But Weddle is hungry for a championship and is an integral part of this team as a leader and field general, he also does a solid job blitzing and tackling when he’s closer to the action. If he were a FA I would let him walk, due to his play. But he’s not, so I have him stay due to his smarts and leadership. Our secondary has had other additions but since we’ve had him it’s been a top 5 unit in the league regardless of Smith/Young going down. That’s not something easily replaced. /keep

Brandon Williams: We’re kind of stuck with this one. He’s a very good run stuffer, but he never made the leap that we thought he’d make. We’ve also restructured his deal. Cutting him would do more harm than good. Especially since Pierce seems to get dinged up pretty regularly (similar to Mosley). /keep

Marshal Yanda: Cutting him is unthinkable. Leader of the OL and it’s best player. No brainer. /keep

• Like 1

I very much agree with the above.

Jefferson is the only one obviously where we think we have viable and cheaper option already on the team. In his first season I don't believe he was a scapegoat as he just missed tackles, couldn't cover anywhere on the field but he was also misused.

This year his play improved, but it still seems he have to have a very limited role to be a good player. I really doubt he was without fault on the deep passes against the Browns, and what he did there was really the story every time he was playing deep - just out of position and not being disciplined enough to have that role.

If we cut Jefferson and aqquire a centerfielder with range, it would allow us to play Weddle more to his strengths and have young, cheaper backups as well in Clark and Elliot.