Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

On 2/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, coordinator0 said:

I wonder how much more likely the Broncos are to bring back Paradis now that they will have Flacco under center.

The Broncos low balled him apparently. It's been reported that they want him back but are not "willing to pay top dollar". He and his agent were offended and are determined to explore the market. 

Hopefully the Ravens are willing to pay top dollar lol. Ryan Jensen was overrated, a solid/good but not great player. Paradis though is Top 5 at his position, and he just turned 29. Let's do for Lamar what we did for Joe. Solidify the Center spot for their 2nd Season. We gave 33 yo Matt Birk like 4 per, 10 years ago. 

Found this-

"There’s a perception that head coach Brad Childress doesn’t really care for Birk, and that the franchise is low-balling him." Source.

This is also from 10 years ago- 

Source.

/As soon as the 2008 season ended, Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome had two major goals for building the Ravens. He wanted a right offensive tackle and improved play and depth in the secondary, particularly at cornerback.

The verdict is out on both, but the Ravens might have acquired the final piece of what could become one of the most dominant offensive lines in the NFL. Once the Ravens knew they had a quarterback in Joe Flacco last season, the rest was obvious. They selected Mississippi offensive tackle Michael Oher with their No. 1 pick in April to help Flacco stay upright.

Despite shuffling offensive linemen in training camp and through preseason games because of various injuries, the starting group has remained impressive.

"You have the quarterback, so you have to make sure you can protect him," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "That's why we went after [Orlando] Pace and did some other things, and then we eventually got Michael Oher.

"I like our athleticism, and another thing I like is our toughness, and how physical they have become," Newsome said. "They take pride in dominating an opponent. I don't know what their limit is with the offense, but they can become really good. We're just scratching the surface, and having Matt Birk in the middle has made them even better."/

This similarities to this, our current, offseason are glaring. Just sub out Joe's name for Lamar's. Luckily this time around we already have the bookend tackles though. Hurst is passable at LG, and has 1 plus trait(pulling). Skura is also passable, and we can assume he might be a tick better next season. Neither have shown any reason why we shouldn't look to upgrade at their positions though. They'll still hold great value as critical depth, but they are the weak links in front of a young QB right now. Yanda isn't long for the team either, and is showing signs of the typical regression that comes with age. It makes all the sense in the world to inject some established veteran talent(Paradis), and young upside talent(Draft Picks). Both to upgrade/improve the line immediately and insure it's future.

Let's hope history repeats itself and we get a deal done with Paradis. 

Edited by DreamKid

On 1/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, coordinator0 said:

Under Contract

QB: Joe Flacco / Lamar Jackson

RB: Kenneth Dixon / Tyler Ervin

FB: Patrick Ricard / Christopher Ezeala

WR: Michael Crabtree / Willie Snead / Chris Moore / Jordan Lasley / Jaleel Scott

TE: Mark Andrews / Hayden Hurst / Nick Keizer

OT: Ronnie Stanley / Orlando Brown / Greg Senat / Randin Crecelius

OG: Marshal Yanda / James Hurst / Alex Lewis / Kofi Amichia

C: Bradley Bozeman

DL: Brandon Williams / Chris Wormley / Zach Seiler / Willie Henry

OLB: Matt Judon / Tim Williams / Tyus Bowser / Ejuan Price

ILB: Kenny Young / Chris Board / Bam Bradley / Alvin Jones / Matthew Thomas

CB: Jimmy Smith / Marlon Humphrey / Brandon Carr / Tavon Young / Anthony Averett / Cyrus Jones / Maurice Canady / Jaylen Hill / Robertson Daniel / Bennett Jackson

S: Eric Weddle / Tony Jefferson / Chuck Clark / Anthony Levine / Deshon Elliot

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch / Kaare Vedvik

LS: Morgan Cox

UFA

Javorius Allen

Nick Boyle

John Brown

Robert Griffin III

Ty Montgomery

CJ Mosley

Za'Darius Smith

Terrell Suggs

Brent Urban

Maxx Williams

RFA

Alex Collins

Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Patrick Onwuasor

Michael Pierce

ERFA

Quincy Adeboyejo

Gus Edwards

Jermaine Eluemunor

Steven Moore

Matt Skura

De'Lance Turner

I took a Ravens gm spot, could you guys update this for me please

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:33 PM, drd23 said:

Judon's a classic "leaves in FA and ends up a flop" Raven imo

Absolutely not a chance. I have had the pleasure of watching Judon for his entire college career and watched him destroy my team every year. I watched several other games online that I wasn't in attendance live and he did more of the same. I have been a big D2 football fan for a long time. Matt Judon and Adam Shaheen are probably the two freakiest players I've ever seen from that level of play(small disclaimer: GLIAC is 90% of my D2 viewing). I believe Judon will be successful anywhere he goes and you guys would be wise to keep him around long term.

Anyhow, I only came in here to read up on what Raven's fans though might happen with Michael Pierce and Za'Darius Smith. Sucks for me as a huge fan of Pierce's game that it sounds like he will be tendered without question. He is an absolute stud against the run and he can push the pocket with power to dirty up the inside. Not much of an escape artist to be a sack man himself but making it hard for QBs to step up into the pocket is still a valuable asset. 

I watched numerous games of Za'Darius to see what he was all about. Correct me if I am wrong, but I saw him doing most of his pass rushing damage line up over guards in either a 2, 3 or 4i technique and a few times he was a 4 or possible 5 tech but he was slanting hard or stunting inside again up against a guard. I personally didn't see much of an edge pass rusher. I am not saying he isn't a good pass rusher just that he doesn't seem to do it on the edge as much as inside. What say ye Raven's fans?

44 minutes ago, vikes635 said:

John Browns strengths and weaknesses? Are you guys wanting him to return?

Fast and explosive and quite reliable. Was a found with Joe Flacco at QB and almost completely irrelevant when we switched to lamar. John Brown should be valued for the games with Joe Flacco at QB, not the final 8 games. One thing though - after he was a very important piece to begin the season, he couldn’t handle being double teamed and disappeared. With Thielen and Diggs, Brown would maybe not flourish, but he would be that very valuable big play 3rd option at WR.

22 minutes ago, Danand said:

Fast and explosive and quite reliable. Was a found with Joe Flacco at QB and almost completely irrelevant when we switched to lamar. John Brown should be valued for the games with Joe Flacco at QB, not the final 8 games. One thing though - after he was a very important piece to begin the season, he couldn’t handle being double teamed and disappeared. With Thielen and Diggs, Brown would maybe not flourish, but he would be that very valuable big play 3rd option at WR.

Quite reliable? Brown had some egregious drops once Lamar was playing QB. It looked like his head wasn't in the game, and he became very tentative over the middle. 

Maybe he didn't want to get injured before becoming a free agent. But his play in the second half of the season doesn't reflect well on his mental toughness or resiliency. 

I don't think anyone who watched him this year thinks he'll be back with the Ravens. 

On 2/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, coordinator0 said:

I wonder how much more likely the Broncos are to bring back Paradis now that they will have Flacco under center. Not that it wasn't important to have a good player there before, but Joe definitely needs plus play up front.

And if the Ravens do end up missing out on him, is there anybody else really worth going after? Morse is good but more of a pass-blocker. Also not the most durable player you'd hope for. I think the team would rather stick with Skura or end up rolling with Bozeman.

There's the draft of course, but for the center position I'm looking at free agency as Paradis or bust. 

I've read that the Ravens need to upgrade a C.

Does anybody think Skura might be an ascending player? C is a notoriously difficult position for younger players, and Skura performed about average in his first year as starter. He is a pretty smart guy (went to Duke). Maybe he is limited athletically but many centers can compensate for that with intelligence. Other successful Ravens centers were low round draft picks (Birk and Jensen were 6th rounders), so I don't think you need to use a premium draft pick to find a good one. 

I think the Ravens could definitely use depth at C/G, but if I were to upgrade I would get a road-grading LG and see if Skura can keep improving. Center is an odd position, in that sometimes guys who don't seem like they are good actually develop into nice players. Guard is more cut and dry, and Alex Lewis/James Hurst seems like have shown their ceiling and it isn't that high.  

41 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Quite reliable? Brown had some egregious drops once Lamar was playing QB. It looked like his head wasn't in the game, and he became very tentative over the middle. 

Maybe he didn't want to get injured before becoming a free agent. But his play in the second half of the season doesn't reflect well on his mental toughness or resiliency. 

I don't think anyone who watched him this year thinks he'll be back with the Ravens. 

We don’t disagree, it was two completely different seasons for Brown, and I think he should be valued upon what he did in the first 9 weeks.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

We don’t disagree, it was two completely different seasons for Brown, and I think he should be valued upon what he did in the first 9 weeks.

Yes there is definitely some talent left in the tank, Brown is still explosive. Its just a question of how he will react if he is no longer getting lots of targets, which I think other teams will pay attention to. 

4 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I believe Judon will be successful anywhere he goes and you guys would be wise to keep him around long term.

That's what we're counting on other teams believing lol. Look, he's a solid player but he's too inconsistent to toss huge money at.

Sucks for me as a huge fan of Pierce's game that it sounds like he will be tendered without question.

Pierce is a savage. I won't be shocked if some team actually tries to take advantage of the 2nd Round tender we slap on him.

I watched numerous games of Za'Darius to see what he was all about. Correct me if I am wrong, but I saw him doing most of his pass rushing damage line up over guards in either a 2, 3 or 4i technique and a few times he was a 4 or possible 5 tech but he was slanting hard or stunting inside again up against a guard. I personally didn't see much of an edge pass rusher. I am not saying he isn't a good pass rusher just that he doesn't seem to do it on the edge as much as inside. What say ye Raven's fans?

It speaks more to his versatility than anything else. ZDS' ability to kick inside let's us get more pass rushers on the field. He's grown as an interior rusher certainly, but I still consider him a strong outside rush option as well. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

I've read that the Ravens need to upgrade a C.

Does anybody think Skura might be an ascending player? C is a notoriously difficult position for younger players, and Skura performed about average in his first year as starter. He is a pretty smart guy (went to Duke). Maybe he is limited athletically but many centers can compensate for that with intelligence. Other successful Ravens centers were low round draft picks (Birk and Jensen were 6th rounders), so I don't think you need to use a premium draft pick to find a good one. 

I think the Ravens could definitely use depth at C/G, but if I were to upgrade I would get a road-grading LG and see if Skura can keep improving. Center is an odd position, in that sometimes guys who don't seem like they are good actually develop into nice players. Guard is more cut and dry, and Alex Lewis/James Hurst seems like have shown their ceiling and it isn't that high.  

It's certainly possible that Skura could improve, although I'd think it unlikely given he's heading into his 4th year in the NFL system (1 year on the PS, 1 year primarily as a back-up, 1 year starting).  I also think many fans are still feeling a little burned by Jeremy Zuttah's last couple of years here where his lack of strength at C really hampered any chance of the offense being productive.

The problem I see with getting "a road-grading LG" is that that prototype usually means trading strength for movement skills, and given some of the weird blocking schemes that Roman has employed and all of the option stuff we'll likely still be using, I see movement from the OL being quite important going forward.  I'm not sure how the scheme would work with another bigger, slower OLman given that Zeus Jr isn't the most nimble and Yanda is slowing down.

All that said, it is certainly one avenue to upgrade the OL that has been considered, hence @DreamKid's pimping of Cody Ford in the draft thread