Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

Just now, M.10.E said:

Buddy, we're the Ravens. We never have good WRs.

I'm going to do the unspeakable and actually defend pararaven here.

Yes, we never have good WR's, but previously we at least had an offense that liked to pass the ball AND we were a franchise that perennially was successful.

Now we're entering a phase where we're probably going to be the most run-heavy offense in the NFL sans the Seahawks, we have a huge question mark at QB, and we don't have that recent sustained success to lean back on. So it's certainly understandable that high-end WR's won't necessarily want to come here to block most of the time.

That being said, I expect us to handle WR via the draft, not FA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yes, we never have good WR's, but previously we at least had an offense that liked to pass the ball AND we were a franchise that perennially was successful.

Now we're entering a phase where we're probably going to be the most run-heavy offense in the NFL sans the Seahawks, we have a huge question mark at QB, and we don't have that recent sustained success to lean back on. So it's certainly understandable that high-end WR's won't necessarily want to come here to block most of the time.

Oh I never disagreed with the general idea with his post going forward. We were never going to get a big name WR in FA this year. We've never gotten BIG names in FA before.

But, our WRs stink because of what we've done the last three years, not because we have Lamar Jackson at QB.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

agreed, im bummed we have no 2nd round pick, hopefully decosta can figure something out and trade up for one. Id prefer not to trade down. Has never really worked out for ravens in the past

I’m just gonna leave this right here...

Derrick Mason signed with the Ravens back when our QB was Kyle Boller. Just saying. Lamar at his worst is a better passer than Boller. So I’m sure the Ravens can attract receivers... if that’s something they were looking to do.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m just gonna leave this right here...

i dont think its the player, its the style of offense that is scaring wrs away. Ravens will need a much more balanced attack this year in order to get away from this "run first team" stigma

This issue is why I was surprised the Ravens were so quick to cut Crabtree.

However, the Ravens usually sign veteran WRs, and veterans are going to be less motivated by number of catches as they are cash. Someone like John Brown didn't work because he is looking to resurrect his career and get another payday. But an older player looking for one last chance to get paid/win should be attracted to the Ravens.  

• Like 1

Also, it should be said that however much WR may be disinclined to join the Ravens, then the inverse would also be true: Offensive lineman should be incentivized to come here more than any other team. 

Everyone knows offensive lineman prefer run blocking to pass blocking. So using Paravens logic, the Ravens have become the premier destination for offensive lineman. No need to shed that "run first" stigma! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

I wonder how much cap space we have left and if EDC is looking at signing Justin Houston?

Pretty sure we're looking at maybe a more value signing. I could be wrong. Depending on how the contracts of Bennett and Ingram break down, I'd guess we're at about 18-20 million in cap.