Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

41 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Yeah, I'm more inclined to agree with this. We don't need no more folks in the 30 and over club at WR.

In no way was I implying that signing Nelson should deter our draft strategy. But it is a fact that we still need 2 starting WR's on the outside to supplement Snead in the slot. Might not hurt to take a flyer on a guy like Nelson, but he seems to be at the end of the road.

I'm a fan of Urban. He's good. But man, if the Ravens end up drafting a defensive lineman higher up in the draft I worry about under-utilizing talent/depth on the roster. Williams and Pierce are entrenched as guys who will get a bunch of snaps. Henry is coming back and he's an important pass-rushing piece when healthy. Wormley is pretty solid and then there's the possibility of Seiler ascending. Ricard will probably see more time on defense as opposed to FB going forward too and he's good depth there. 

Planning for injuries is one thing but I'm not a fan of way overloading at one position on the team. Especially when that position only utilizes 4 players the majority of the game and the top three dominate snaps while the fourth is mostly just rotational. 

• Like 2

For defense, I think you can strengthen it just by adding a DE/LB, I would not narrow down too much by position. Best prospect available, whoever has high upside. 

For offense, I agree IOL and WR are targets are spots where Ravens would fill an immediate need. Can't see drafting a RB or TE high. 

If the best player available is an OT, do the Ravens pull the trigger? I could kick Orlando Brown inside to LG, where his lateral mobility is less exposed. Seems like there are some good OTs, if one falls I could see the Ravens going for him. 

Some of the fans' complaints over our OLB losses are odd. Suggs is a legend and ZDS was a good player for us, but let's be honest. Was base Pass Rush really a strength for us last year? So much of our pressure came by way of coverage and scheme. The rush disappeared for huge stretches during games, and we watched QBs get way too much time quite frequently.

How much did they want the FO to pay to secure a what, C+ Pass Rush?

No. Brown was tremendous at RT. You don't move him from there. Going inside to guard actually does expose lateral inability more because of all the pulling those guys do. Orlando is the right tackle, Ronnie is the left tackle. Baltimore should make sure that stays the same for years to come. 

The Ravens have some money left to spend but to be honest I would be surprised if anybody substantial was brought in. They're down to +2 compensatory picks, likely a 2020 3rd and a 4th, and that's a big consideration given who's left on the board. Not sure there's anybody left (that the Ravens are likely to go after) that would make a ton of sense.

So I'm looking at the released guys. Not sure a veteran wide receiver is really a need. It's nice to have one but I'd rather that player be good. No more reruns of the Maclin and Crabtree fiascoes please. Smith and Wallace worked out, but there aren't any receivers left (especially the released players) that are anywhere near as good as they were when they hit the market. And Wallace wasn't even considered that great. 

Justin Houston is looming large though. To me he makes too much sense, even if it cuts down on the breakout snap potential for Williams and/or Bowser. It's hard to get a feel for what the team thinks of the ILB spot but if they want to add somebody Zach Brown would be nice. Capitalize on another dumb mistake by Washington. 

There is no offensive lineman worth adding. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Justin Houston is looming large though. To me he makes too much sense, even if it cuts down on the breakout snap potential for Williams and/or Bowser.

I'd be fine with it. Houston won't play a full 16 anyway, I'm sure he'll get dinged up here and there. Judon needs to be in a rotation, and I think he'll also get a lot of 2 point looks on the inside this season too.

Bowser and Williams will get their due. They're 2 year Vets and finally have a clear lane to playing time. I'm not concerned this go around.

I think Houston will be overpaid by another club though.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I have pretty much the exact same thoughts on these as c0.

If we draft an OT, I would only do it with the intention to play them at LG

Yeah, if we draft an OT I would move them inside and use that player as a negotiation piece against Ronnie Stanley when it comes to contract time. There’s significantly less desperation on our side, more indifference if we can say... x player was the top LT in his class, is a pro bowl LG, we’d love to bring back Stanley, but we’ve got a contingency plan if we don’t.

That said, for me it’s Jefferey Simmons in round one or bust. He would instantly give us a pass rushing interior threat that we haven’t truly had since... 2006 Trevor Pryce or 2010 Haloti Ngata. I could easily see a rookie season where he puts up 6 sacks within the interior and then ascends to double digits during the All Pro seasons of his career. If we don’t take an All Pro level DL talent in Jefferey Simmons (if he falls) at pick #22 someone needs to be fired. Don’t care if it’s its random scout #3, that guy deserves the pink slip.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

That said, for me it’s Jefferey Simmons in round one or bust. He would instantly give us a pass rushing interior threat that we haven’t truly had since... 2006 Trevor Pryce or 2010 Haloti Ngata. I could easily see a rookie season where he puts up 6 sacks within the interior and then ascends to double digits during the All Pro seasons of his career. If we don’t take an All Pro level DL talent in Jefferey Simmons (if he falls) at pick #22 someone needs to be fired. Don’t care if it’s its random scout #3, that guy deserves the pink slip.

We're in a special window right now. QB on a Rookie contract. BookEnd Tackles. Elite CBs. Best Safety in the league. GOAT Kicker. Elite Run Defenders. 

We can't afford to move wrong, not now. Last year we passed on the All Pro(Derwin James). We can't do it again, especially when it's an interior player. They affect the game too much. The NFL is an arms race league, we can't let a nuke(Jeffrey Simmons) fall into enemy hands. 

Simmons is a 10+ Sack player on the inside. His production in college is misleading because of how often they lined him up directly over or had him shade a Center. He saw a gang of double and triple teams, and not in a lip service way- he really did. We'll line him up at 3T and let him loose. 

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

We're in a special window right now. QB on a Rookie contract. BookEnd Tackles. Elite CBs. Best Safety in the league. GOAT Kicker. Elite Run Defenders. 

We can't afford to move wrong, not now. Last year we passed on the All Pro(Derwin James). We can't do it again, especially when it's an interior player. They affect the game too much. The NFL is an arms race league, we can't let a nuke(Jeffrey Simmons) fall into enemy hands. 

Simmons is a 10+ Sack player on the inside. His production in college is misleading because of how often they lined him up directly over or had him shade a Center. He saw a gang of double and triple teams, and not in a lip service way- he really did. We'll line him up at 3T and let him loose. 

Not to mention that he’ll have Williams and Pierce to push the pocket.

Throw in the fact that Simmons is also an elite run defender. The rotation of Simmons and Henry would be terrifying. Both have the ability to get after the QB and are plus run defenders. IOL would lose  sleep trying to contain both dudes on a weekly basis.

And I wouldn’t be against lining up Simmons and Seiler in 5 technique with Pierce at NT absorbing double teams. Throw the speed of Williams and Bowser on the outside. Pierce can collapse the pocket inside when not doubled. You can’t double team Simmons with the OT less you give Bowser/Williams 1on1 rush opportunities against a TE or RB (😂). Sieler on the other side is an athletic freak and dominated against the lower level competition he’s faced. I can’t see him not being an animal against 1on1 blocks.

Theres a lot you could do with that type of personnel. Very unpleasant thoughts in a good way. That’s the kind of talent and versatility you want upfront.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Sieler on the other side is an athletic freak and dominated against the lower level competition he’s faced. I can’t see him not being an animal against 1on1 blocks.

The stages of my excitement over Zach Sieler.

1. "Oh wow, Ferris State". "DeCosta is pretty good at locating Small School Gems".

2. "Above 90th percentile RAS & SPARQ..." "Wait..he's an elite athlete?" "At that size?" "What was his college production like?"

3. "19.5 Sacks & 29.5 Tackles For Loss! ..in one season". "Almost breaking Matt Judon's 20 Sack Record in that same conference". "Yet, Zach is an interior player.....".

4. I scour the internet for MFing Ferris State football clips, and begin my descent. Come away shocked. Upside comp him to Richard Seymour. "Will it translate to the NFL though?"

5. Through 48 snaps in the Preseason. 5 Tackles, 4 Run Stuffs, 1 Sack, 3 QB hits, 4 Hurries. "Oh, so it does translate".

6. Harbaugh says Zach Sieler is already the strongest player on the team. Tells Billick that's the player to look out for. "Hey, no surprise here".

7. We cut Carl Davis to stash Zach Sieler in the lab. "Perfect".

So yea, I think we can expect some good things from him lol.

• Like 1