Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

You only need to see some of the absurd contracts being handed out to really bad O Lineman to figure out that there is nobody available to be signed that would improve the OL over Bozeman or Hurst 

36 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

I'd take Dez, Jordy, Damaryus Thomas (Sp?)

I'm pretty sure 2 of those 3 are coming off Achilles tears that they sustained during the season and wouldn't pass a medical right now, let alone be productive on the field.

A WR sounds fantastic, but @drd23 said it best. With the injuries lingering over two of those key vets, I don’t see us making that move. I could see the patience on WR until after the draft. If we don’t feel confident heading to OTAs, one of those 3 if their still out there would get a try out pending health.

Houston is Luxory at this point, but not opposed to it either. Although this would be another block to Williams and Bowser for field production. Its a risk to send them out there and pray one hits the ground running, but how else are we going to see what the investment will show in return?

10 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

There isn't any free agent worth spending money on at WR or LG/interior offensive line though. Those available are all minimum contract types. Investing in those positions just to invest in those positions would not be good.

I disagree, I think the Ravens have often tried to go in the draft with no big holes on the roster. Signing guys like Quinten Spain or Jordy Nelson would clearly upgrade the roster, and allow the Ravens to draft purely BPA than reach on a pick to fill a need. 

I want money spent on the BPA at a position of need, regardless of that position. The team isn't going to sit on that cap space. 

Well we don't know which positions we really need until after the draft. Except for WR, and to a lesser extent LG. The team will absolutely sit on that cap space, and wait out roster cuts following the draft and during training camp. 

I think now EDC has to have a specific plan before the draft, and then everything changes after the draft. But running up to the draft, given the cap situation, the best way forward is to plug holes, and not blow our wad on defensive player who may block the development of ascending young players. 

7 hours ago, drd23 said:

You only need to see some of the absurd contracts being handed out to really bad O Lineman to figure out that there is nobody available to be signed that would improve the OL over Bozeman or Hurst 

I'm pretty sure 2 of those 3 are coming off Achilles tears that they sustained during the season and wouldn't pass a medical right now, let alone be productive on the field.

Quinton Spain and Jordy Nelson would be clear upgrades to the roster. 

23 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I disagree, I think the Ravens have often tried to go in the draft with no big holes on the roster. Signing guys like Quinten Spain or Jordy Nelson would clearly upgrade the roster, and allow the Ravens to draft purely BPA than reach on a pick to fill a need. 

Well we don't know which positions we really need until after the draft. Except for WR, and to a lesser extent LG. The team will absolutely sit on that cap space, and wait out roster cuts following the draft and during training camp. 

I think now EDC has to have a specific plan before the draft, and then everything changes after the draft. But running up to the draft, given the cap situation, the best way forward is to plug holes, and not blow our wad on defensive player who may block the development of ascending young players. 

No. We know now. It's just a matter of doing something about it. The team is looking for a veteran pass-rusher, Zribiec has come out and said it a couple times. If he's not to be believed nobody is, but his track-record is pretty good. Might as well add somebody that's actually good if they're going to get snaps. I don't think Houston will get all of the snaps, there's room for him to sign and both Boweser and Williams to get their deserved time. 

As for Spain and Nelson... eh, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. 

No need to rush anything. There will be another wave of cuts post draft and those moves are where we tend to swoop in.

Dumervil and Steve Smith type signings

i like to see us hold on Houston. Even though I really want him to replace Suggs, but at what cost

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And whoever we draft in the 1st round would be a clear upgrade over them. Also whoever we draft in the 3rd or 4th round would be, too.

1st round I agree, 3rd or 4th round no way. Sorry but if you think every WR taken in the 4th round is better than Jordy Nelson, that's just a silly position to hold. Even if they become a better WR over time, there's little in the Ravens history of drafting WRs that indicates we'll have a plug-and-play WR drafted at that position. 

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

No. We know now. It's just a matter of doing something about it. The team is looking for a veteran pass-rusher, Zribiec has come out and said it a couple times. If he's not to be believed nobody is, but his track-record is pretty good. Might as well add somebody that's actually good if they're going to get snaps. I don't think Houston will get all of the snaps, there's room for him to sign and both Boweser and Williams to get their deserved time. 

As for Spain and Nelson... eh, we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. 

I can definitely see the argument not to sign Spain or Nelson, but I think it is pretty clear that if the Ravens signed them, they would be upgrades and immediately be put into the starting lineup. That's all I'm saying. Those are the two spots where the Ravens are weakest. 

35 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

1st round I agree, 3rd or 4th round no way. Sorry but if you think every WR taken in the 4th round is better than Jordy Nelson, that's just a silly position to hold. Even if they become a better WR over time, there's little in the Ravens history of drafting WRs that indicates we'll have a plug-and-play WR drafted at that position. 

I think you're simply vastly overrating what Jordy Nelson is as a WR right now. The Oakland Raiders didn't even want him on the field last year after the Amari Cooper trade, and their WR group is probably worse than ours.

I don't want Jordy Nelson anywhere near The Castle. At this point, I'd rather us draft a couple WRs and let the chips fall. Tired of spinning the wheel with the 30 and over club once again. Find Lamar some folks who he can grow with potentially. Find the center of our future and let's go win a championship.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

I don't want Jordy Nelson anywhere near The Castle. At this point, I'd rather us draft a couple WRs and let the chips fall. Tired of spinning the wheel with the 30 and over club once again. Find Lamar some folks who he can grow with potentially. Find the center of our future and let's go win a championship.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a veteran possession WR. But Jordy Nelson ain't that at this point in his career.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think you're simply vastly overrating what Jordy Nelson is as a WR right now.

I think he's a competent vet who can run NFL routes, and will likely outperform a 4th round rookie WR. 

The Oakland Raiders didn't even want him on the field last year after the Amari Cooper trade, and their WR group is probably worse than ours.

Percentage of offensive plays by Jordy Nelson, with targets.  

Week 17: 89%, 12 targets

Week 16: 79%, 10 targets

Week 15: 97%, 8 targets

Week 15: 94%, 7 targets

Week 14: 91%, 11 targets

Week: 13: 90%, 1 target (vs Ravens)

I get that you don't want Nelson, but to fabricate data is really not an honorable way to debate. The Raiders played Nelson a lot the last 5 weeks and gave him plenty of targets. 

4 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

If those draft picks bust or get injured, you've basically cost Lamar a year of development. He needs to develop a his throws outside the numbers, if he doesn't have a competent WR on the outside to run reliable routes, he'll stagnate.

I think the Ravens can nab a WR after the draft as well, not necessarily Jordy Nelson. I think your plan is WAY too risky.   

31 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If those draft picks bust or get injured, you've basically cost Lamar a year of development. He needs to develop a his throws outside the numbers, if he doesn't have a competent WR on the outside to run reliable routes, he'll stagnate.

I think the Ravens can nab a WR after the draft as well, not necessarily Jordy Nelson. I think your plan is WAY too risky.   

We're eventually going to have to do it anyway. We can't keep bringing in people on the back half of their careers. At the moment, there aren't any vet WRs that inspire confidence from me on the open market. It might be risky, but we can't keep putting a band-aid over an open wound.