Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

52 minutes ago, warrenblue said:

Honestly, you guys are way too confident that Baltimore won't re-sign Mosley. 

With JH staying, don't be surprised with Mosley not only staying, but also getting the biggest MLB contract in the NFL. 

I believe most of us are well aware, that might be the case. We just disagree with that possible decision. While Mosley might get overpaid, the front office could very well view him as the bridge player who prevents that veteran brain drain the Ravens could sustain the next 1-2 years.

We could possibly see the following be gone this or the next two years: Suggs, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr, Eric Weddle, Tony Jefferson, Levine

That would leave Mosley and possibly Brandon Williams as our veterans (barring we don't bring in another veteran). If we leave Mosley from the equation, we would not have any player above 27 on the defense, which is very unlikely.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I believe most of us are well aware, that might be the case. We just disagree with that possible decision. While Mosley might get overpaid, the front office could very well view him as the bridge player who prevents that veteran brain drain the Ravens could sustain the next 1-2 years.

We could possibly see the following be gone this or the next two years: Suggs, Jimmy Smith, Brandon Carr, Eric Weddle, Tony Jefferson, Levine

That would leave Mosley and possibly Brandon Williams as our veterans (barring we don't bring in another veteran). If we leave Mosley from the equation, we would not have any player above 27 on the defense, which is very unlikely.

Don't forget about Judon. In the next 2 years, he'll be a veteran of the defense as well. And shoot, by that time so will Marlon and Pierce.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, Danand said:

agreed. I would rather Keep Zardarius Smith and let Judon walk

I personally don't think we resign either long-term (unless Judon is willing to trade big money for security with a cheap extension this offseason).

Re: Mosley, I think he's become a bit underrated on this board TBH.  Young/Peanut/Levine performed incredibly in a platoon situation where they were each able to play a role that best matched their individual skillsets.  Mosley may not be the best ILB in the league, but he's top-5.  And his ability to stay on the field in every package allows those other guys to play in roles that maximize their abilities and masks their deficiencies.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

Mosley may not be the best ILB in the league, but he's top-5

I don't think he's even Top 10-15. I mean he's not in the same stratosphere as guys like Wagner & Kuechly. Then in the next group down, he can't really hang either. With the likes of Deion Jones or Lavonte David etc. Then just look at the Rookie LBs from last years class, Roquan Smith, Tremaine Edmunds, LVE, Darius Leonard, Rashaan Evans. The league is brimming with superior talent at the position.

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

And his ability to stay on the field in every package allows those other guys to play in roles that maximize their abilities and masks their deficiencies.

That isn't a special quality. It's a typical requirement for an LB1. 

It's simple. If Mosley was a special talent. We'd know it.

He's an Above Average-Good player, that fans want to be great. Unfortunately though there just isn't any evidence to support the latter. His deficiencies have made the defense soft & vulnerable, and his strengths don't compensate or appear frequently enough to justify a significant investment.

He's had the opportunity to play behind some of the league's top space eaters in Pierce & Williams too. 

Maybe at times he gets some unfair criticism, where an uniformed fan will falsely attribute a blown coverage assignment to him or something. All in all though, I think he's been pretty fairly analyzed. If anything I see more fans in the Flock Verse trying to elevate Mosley beyond his true station. For no reason other than wanting to feel like we have another star at the ILB position I guess.

Players like Carr & Levine are the ones who don't get enough shine imo.

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I personally don't think we resign either long-term (unless Judon is willing to trade big money for security with a cheap extension this offseason).

I doubt we resign both of them as well. But what Z. Smith did this year was pretty remarkable, also statistically and to some degree better than what we usually let go. McPhee is the closest to him in terms of production, and he really got payed. If Z. Smith doesn't attract the same type of offers I would like to extend him and use his versatility as part of our pass rush.

Regarding Mosley I think I am somewhere between SP and Dreamkid. If anything I believe our FO overrates CJ Mosley in what they are willing to pay him. He brings stability, every down ability, contingency and leadership and routine. Is that worth paying top 5 ILB money for? I don’t think so.

I would like to see him come back for something like 8-9 a year, but below the 10 mio. A year mark which the top 5 is getting (I believe). That would allow us to play Young, Peanut, Levine, Bradley, Board to their strengths. We fielded a great defensive unit this year, I am not fond of tinkering too much with it.

I feel Mosley is in the same category as Stanley. He gives you great play for 10 games a season when he is healthy, but average play the last 6 games. That is something which is difficult to capitalize and put a price on.

What we do know, and this is where I agree with Dreamkid, is that if Mosley was a top 5 talent/player at the position, we would know it. I have seen several recognize Mosley as a solid and important player, but no one talks about him when they mention the top players at the position.

Sometimes franchise cornerstone are important as they can be used to be built around, like Lewis, Ngata, Reed, Suggs, Yanda, Flacco – besides Yanda, none of them was/is in their position top 10 in their last years in the league, but they are so well-rounded that they allow other players with a certain niche to excel.

That is an approach which the Patriots apply as well, and while they rarely boast the best defense in the league, it has been more than enough to get them to far too many AFC championships and superb owls to stomach.

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He's an Above Average-Good player, that fans want to be great. Unfortunately though there just isn't any evidence to support the latter. His deficiencies have made the defense soft & vulnerable, and his strengths don't compensate or appear frequently enough to justify a significant investment.

The defense was 2nd best in the league behind the Bears. So calling the defense soft and vulnerable doesn't make sense. The Ravens D should be recognized as an elite unit. 

I worry about taking away a central piece of that defense. Defensive players are notoriously dumb. Having a smart player who can organize the front 7 is very important. 

I agree Mosley does not flash elite skills. But when I watch teams like the Chiefs last night, where the defense just gets gashed over and over by literally the same play, I am glad the Ravens have a smart guy who can figure things out and communicate to his teammates. Lest we not forget, Ray and Ed were not athletic at the ends of their careers, but it was their intelligence that helped the Ravens defense stay good. Mosley is not close to the same caliber as those two, but I wonder if he plays a similar role as old Ray and Ed. 

I'm not sure what I'd pay Mosley, because clearly the defensive coaches know more about Mosley's role than we do. But if they pay him, it may be because the FO values things that he does that we as fans are not aware of. 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

The defense was 2nd best in the league behind the Bears. So calling the defense soft and vulnerable doesn't make sense. The Ravens D should be recognized as an elite unit. 

Softer and more vulnerable. I'm speaking to attributes he adds to the core, not defining the unit itself. Mosley lacks fire as a leader, is a pretty ineffectual tackler, and has fed into an excuse mentality that seemed to fester within the defense the past couple seasons. That's soft to me. Then as far as added vulnerability, I don't think anyone is going to challenge the limitations he carries in coverage. Teams stayed away from our Elite CB unit and victimized the middle of our defense, they knew to go after Mosley. They knew where we were vulnerable.

Just because the unit had overall success it doesn't mean we should excuse failing components that beg correction. Why not strive to be better?

13 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I worry about taking away a central piece of that defense. Defensive players are notoriously dumb. Having a smart player who can organize the front 7 is very important. 

I agree Mosley does not flash elite skills. But when I watch teams like the Chiefs last night, where the defense just gets gashed over and over by literally the same play, I am glad the Ravens have a smart guy who can figure things out and communicate to his teammates. Lest we not forget, Ray and Ed were not athletic at the ends of their careers, but it was their intelligence that helped the Ravens defense stay good. Mosley is not close to the same caliber as those two, but I wonder if he plays a similar role as old Ray and Ed. 

That's a generalization you shouldn't be comfortable with. Especially as a fan of the Ravens.

You're giving Mosley too much credit, and selling the rest of our defense short. 

......he doesn't even wear the Green Dot anymore. Ray & Ed?

28 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm not sure what I'd pay Mosley, because clearly the defensive coaches know more about Mosley's role than we do. But if they pay him, it may be because the FO values things that he does that we as fans are not aware of. 

The game is played in front of us. 

I've resigned myself to the fact that we may overpay for Mosley's services, but if a "secret role" is sold to us at the contract announcement presser....I'll have an issue lol.