Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

9 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I would LOVE to get a guy like Paris Campbell in the second; it's just a question of how much we'll have to give up to get back into the second. He along with AJ Brown and Hakeem Butler are probably my three favorite receivers in this draft. If we come out of this draft with any one of those guys I will be more than satisfied with our WR corps going into the season.

It probably won't be an issue. I would be stunned if the Ravens picked at 22. To me trading back is almost a guarantee, whether it's far enough to get to the early second or just later on in the first where taking Campbell would be more palatable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

It probably won't be an issue. I would be stunned if the Ravens picked at 22. To me trading back is almost a guarantee, whether it's far enough to get to the early second or just later on in the first where taking Campbell would be more palatable. 

True. I guess I was thinking if we went EDGE/DL with our first, we'd probably have to give up our third and either our second or third next year to move back up to the second in order to have a shot at Campbell. Best case scenario is definitely trading back just enough where we can add two quality prospects for the price of one.

13 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

With us re-signing Boyle I wonder whether there are any decent WR's available out there that we could try to get in a trade by packaging a mid-round pick and Hayden Hurst. 

lol Why would we ever do that?

April Fools joke I presume.

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

lol Why would we ever do that?

April Fools joke I presume.

Because all of our wide receivers suck and we have 3 startable tight ends? 

Now it doesn't really look like there are wideouts on the trade market that would warrant pooling real assets to make a run at right now but if there were I'd hope we'd be looking at creative ways to pursue them. 

5 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Because all of our wide receivers suck and we have 3 startable tight ends? 

Now it doesn't really look like there are wideouts on the trade market that would warrant pooling real assets to make a run at right now but if there were I'd hope we'd be looking at creative ways to pursue them. 

All of our wide receivers don't "suck". Snead played good within his role, and Chris Moore has performed well on limited opportunities. Scott and Lasley are unproven, but certainly haven't earned such a disparaging label. They aren't vetted players.

Lamar's favorite pass targets are Tight Ends. Tight Ends are match up nightmares in today's league, both for traditional advantages and some of the new DPI standards. Hayden Hurst is our most versatile Tight End, close friends with Lamar, and has some of the best hands in the league. The coaches have said they expect our TE tandem to be the best in the NFL. Our offense will be built around them. Mark Andrews is essentially a giant WR, Hurst and Boyle are our in line options in what will be a run heavy offense.

So we should not only trade Hurst(burn a 1st Round investment, take away on and off field chemistry for our developing QB, make our offense weaker/less versatile), but also package a mid round pick with him? For as you said, a "decent WR". In an offense where the position is devalued, and right before a draft with a deep receiver class.....

I'll pass. That isn't creativity, it's stupidity. 

28 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

All of our wide receivers don't "suck". Snead played good within his role, and Chris Moore has performed well on limited opportunities. Scott and Lasley are unproven, but certainly haven't earned such a disparaging label. They aren't vetted players.

Lamar's favorite pass targets are Tight Ends. Tight Ends are match up nightmares in today's league, both for traditional advantages and some of the new DPI standards. Hayden Hurst is our most versatile Tight End, close friends with Lamar, and has some of the best hands in the league. The coaches have said they expect our TE tandem to be the best in the NFL. Our offense will be built around them. Mark Andrews is essentially a giant WR, Hurst and Boyle are our in line options in what will be a run heavy offense.

So we should not only trade Hurst(burn a 1st Round investment, take away on and off field chemistry for our developing QB, make our offense weaker/less versatile), but also package a mid round pick with him? For as you said, a "decent WR". In an offense where the position is devalued, and right before a draft with a deep receiver class.....

We can play with the language however you want but our receiving core is bad and needs reinforcements, and that's just the truth. 

As for the rest, all I'm gonna say is that there's a difference between having a strength at a position and building towards redundancy. dWe shouldn't fall into the same trap non-Ravens fans are falling into with Lamar in assuming that as a passer he's not capable of improvement and that he's just gonna be who he was as a rookie and stick with safe passes in between the numbers. We're gonna need more than a bunch of JAGS at the wideout position and it'd do a world of good for both the offense and for Lamar's growth to have something resembling a #1 receiver to work with. With or without Hurst, TE's are gonna be a big part of this offense, as Andrews already looks like a more dynamic pass-catching threat and we didn't just give Boyle $5 million a year to not play. Now that doesn't mean that there won't be room for Hurst as well but he also hasn't done anything to suggest he's a cornerstone in this offense yet, and the 1st round investment is a sunk cost at this point. So yeah, if we have an opportunity to make a move for players of real quality, it's worth exploring the options there. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

We should have moved away from Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser a year ago with that logic. 

If we trade Hurst for a WR and  Andrews goes down with an ACL, we have nothing at tight end who can work as a downfield receiving option. Andrews might develop into a better blocker, but he is also already damn good at being a big slot WR, so why not continue to use him that way?

Instead of looking at and limiting players to a specific position, see them as receiving options. Then we have a speedy but unproven Chris Moore, a proven scrappy veteran in Snead who can play inside and outside, Lasley as an unproven player with playmaking potential, Hurst as a versatile blocking/receiving option, Andrews as a big slot WR and Boyle as a blocker and move the sticks guy.

If we add Ingram as an outlet, we have 7 guys capable of catching passes - in a run first offense. If Lamar is going to pass as a max of 30-35 games a season, thats still only 4-5 targets for each. Then I would rather have the potential that Hurst provides than another unknown option at wide receiver, where we can get plenty of good players in the draft.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We can play with the language however you want but our receiving core is bad and needs reinforcements, and that's just the truth. 

Our receiving core is unproven and lacking in depth. That's the truth. Snead & Moore aren't bad players, and Lasley & Scott aren't bad prospects. Doesn't mean we don't need to invest in the position, but it is the accurate assessment.

14 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

As for the rest, all I'm gonna say is that there's a difference between having a strength at a position and building towards redundancy.

Sure. That isn't our situation though. Our offense will run a 12 personnel formation the majority of the time. Roman will also move Hayden and Mark all over the field, frequently using them as WRs. So formation designation becomes even trickier. Boyle can play in line and also as a FB/H-Back. It isn't redundancy, it's versatility of attack and exceptionally valuable to our offense. 

39 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We shouldn't fall into the same trap non-Ravens fans are falling into with Lamar in assuming that as a passer he's not capable of improvement and that he's just gonna be who he was as a rookie and stick with safe passes in between the numbers.

Who is? Lamar likes throwing to Tight Ends. He has since Cole Hikutini at Louiseville. Why shouldn't we let Lamar play to his strengths? Should we also have him stop running too? Strikes down the seam aren't "safe passes", and leaning on Tight Ends doesn't mean you're a lesser player. Typically, it means you have both an ability to make accurate downfield throws between the numbers and you have impact/mismatch players at the position. Which Lamar can, and we do. Bad Take. 

55 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

We're gonna need more than a bunch of JAGS at the wideout position and it'd do a world of good for both the offense and for Lamar's growth to have something resembling a #1 receiver to work with.

Half the league doesn't have a #1 option. It would do every QB/Offense a world of good to have a Nuk in house. That's not how it goes though. Harbaugh has already confirmed Moore will start, and we know Snead will be back starting in the slot. Both played well last year and seem to have chemistry with Lamar. We'll bring in some Rookie WRs too, likely early round picks. Jordan Lasley is also extremely close to Lamar. He's the leading candidate to start with Moore, and was evaluated as a 1st/2nd Round pick by many analysts coming out of UCLA. He'll likely beat out any Rookie receiver for significant playing time. He's talented and has seniority. 

Throwing a Crabtree type back into the offense will hinder more than help. Roman is looking for receivers to open things up for Lamar/our TEs/and runners. Even if you think all of our pass catchers are just JAGS, you still can't just throw anyone into this offense. Bringing in a non ideal fit, who has zero chemistry with Lamar- helps nothing.

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

With or without Hurst, TE's are gonna be a big part of this offense, as Andrews already looks like a more dynamic pass-catching threat and we didn't just give Boyle $5 million a year to not play. Now that doesn't mean that there won't be room for Hurst as well but he also hasn't done anything to suggest he's a cornerstone in this offense yet, and the 1st round investment is a sunk cost at this point. So yeah, if we have an opportunity to make a move for players of real quality, it's worth exploring the options there.

So because we'll frequently play 2 Tight Ends in name regardless, we should feel comfortable getting rid of Hurst? Back when the Patriots had Gronkowski and Hernandez, if they had a great blocking Tight End to go along with them, it wouldn't matter if they looked to move one of the two? You aren't thinking about the situation in the correct terms.

I get it. You aren't high on Hayden Hurst. Don't project those feelings onto the club though. They believe they have a valuable asset in Hurst, which is why they invested a 1st Round Pick in him. He has elite hands, can win all over the field(especially down the seam), can make plays after the catch, and gives us the most formation versatility out of all of our pass catchers. 

As Dan pointed out, if you want to trade Hayden Hurst and a mid round pick for some name chooch at WR. God only knows what you want to do with our CB depth or wanted to do with our EDGE depth lol.

Too bad he's on the Browns, but I think Duke Johnson would be good for this team.

Giving up on a 1st round pick who played last year with a giant screw in his foot. Are we the Browns?

Edited by M.10.E

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Chris Moore has barely been able to get on the field with the sad bunch of wr's the ravens fielded in 2017 and 18. Dont' hold your breathe that he suddenly is going to turn in on and become a legit starter in this league... Willie Snead would be the #3 wr on most teams rosters. As for Lasley, his biggesy knock in college were his hands.. He drops a lot of balls, so that give me much hope there.. I have no idea what to make of Scott, the dude was on the fringe of being the first draft pick in ravens history to be cut as a rookie... 

I agree with B-terp here.

• Like 1