Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

4 hours ago, Danand said:

If McCoy signs, that would give us a dline of Williams, Pierce, McCoy, Wormley, Henry, Sieler, Mack, Willis. Thats a deep deep and talented group

I don't see any way we sign McCoy. I think its just a smokescreen to drive the price up for the Browns. I'd be very, very shocked if we were able to pull off the heist of the year.

• Like 2

DeCosta addressing two of our biggest offseason needs(Back End Range and Interior Pass Rush), with FA acquisitions of some of the league's best in those roles would be a massive Year 1 statement. And even if this McCoy deal doesn't go through, it's been a more than encouraging debut for our new GM.

From PFF-

--As a pass-rusher, there have been few as productive as McCoy has been over the course of his career. Since 2010, McCoy’s 393 total pressures are the sixth-most among interior defensive linemen in that span, while his 143 knockdowns (sacks + hits) ring in at fifth.

And that’s not by luck. Throughout his time on an NFL field, McCoy has shown an undeniable proclivity for beating the man in front of him and finding his way into the backfield. When we remove screens, play-action dropbacks, trick plays, defensive stunts, blitzes and passes that were thrown in under 2.5 seconds, we can see that McCoy has won a staggering 21.3% of his career matchups as a pass-rusher — a mark that’s tied with Fletcher Cox, of all people, for the fifth-best rate among the 67 interior defensive linemen with at least 300 pass-rush snaps since 2010. His 93.0 pass-rush grade on those plays ranks third to only Geno Atkins (94.5) and Aaron Donald (94.4) among that same group of players.

Those numbers are down to remarkable year-to-year consistency, which is something that will no doubt be tempting to a list of suitors that will continue to grow as long as he remains unsigned. Long story short: If McCoy is on the field against a pure pass set (plays that meet the aforementioned criteria), the chances are that he’ll get there. Working against these pure pass sets over the last nine seasons, Atkins has earned single-season pass-rush grades of 75.0 in seven of his last eight professional seasons, and that includes the grades above 85.0 that he earned in each year from 2011 to 2015.

In 2017 and 2018, the former Oklahoma Sooner has earned pass-rush grades of 79.8 and 77.8 from his work against pure pass sets, which rank 13th and 15th, respectively, among interior defensive linemen. His pass-rush win rate (21.8%) over the entirety of that span ranks 10th among his peers — proof that he’s still more than capable of pushing the pocket for a tenth NFL season.--

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah. It would be great for the Ravens to get McCoy even with their depth on the line. He's a legit starting lineman that's a plus pass-rusher even at this point in his career. They could run sets of McCoy/Pierce/Henry... :o

Also McCoy/Pierce/Williams and tell Williams to go all out for the QB/shoot into the backfield and let the other two guys consume (and beat) double teams :)

Edited by sp6488

Just finished up watching the Haloti Ngata ritrement press conference. I really mean this and don't mean to sound like a Homer. I find our Organization to be among the classiest and most organized when it comes to this sort of stuff. 

Bisciotti is also so well spoken and you can tell he means every word. The guy makes me proud to be a fan. Love this team. 

• Like 1

Some part of me want McCoy and a part of me don't. We would get a better player, who would most likely take a spot from a young guy who needs to be developed. maybe its because i also view this as the true transition year, where we have to establish a new identity with lamar jackson. i don't think this is the year we are going to be competitive, there is simply too much youth on the team - a thing McCoy could help change a bit.

I would also prefer we use the cap we have to lock up some of those young players, which include Ronnie stanley even though I am not the greatest fan of his. Just like cj mosley he plays well 10-12 games a year where he isn't injured, but the positional value is more important.

I’d easily sign Gerald McCoy and not look back.

From where I stand, I like Michael Pierce but he’s got some durability concerns similar to Mosley early in his career. He doesn’t miss whole games often like most of the players with obvious injury concerns, but Pierce plays consistently banged up. I’m thinking that will eventually take its toll on Pierce by his second contract, similar to how Mosley slowed down over the course of his first contract. Pierce seems to go down at least a few times a year. He’s someone I wouldn’t mind losing for a comp 3rd as we draft stout IDL very well in the late rounds. What’s more Pierce’s replacement is potentially already on the roster in Dayton Mack. Speaking of Mack, I’m sure he’ll come up with a mystery injury if we sign McCoy.

So back to McCoy, I think every championship caliber team needs hungry veterans attached to it that are pushing to win a championship. McCoy is likely to be that guy. He’s got probably another 3 years left of fringe pro bowl level play at a position we’ve been weak in for some time, interior pass rush. So even if 2019 isn’t our year, this move would be just as much for 2020 and 2021.

Now sure we could say he’d prevent some of our young talent from developing, but the only young player along the interior DL that I’m worried about is Sieler and even without McCoy there was never a clear path for him to a lot of playing time over guys Harbaugh likely already has a preference for with more experience in Wormley and Henry, let alone established talents like Williams/Pierce. Adding McCoy only really takes opportunities away from a JAG like Wormley (and Henry’s potential also isn’t off the charts to where I’d pass up on a potentially elite interior pass rusher. Especially now that he no longer has to be “the guy” that sees all the double teams along our DL. Pierce/Williams collapsing the pocket will afford McCoy the ability to see more 1on1 opportunities than he’s seen in some time.

Throw in the organizational consistency of the Ravens, their top notch facilities, their medical focus, our history with veteran players loving the organization, and the most successful defense arguably in the NFL... and I can’t see us not signing a veteran in McCoy over the other teams. Would we lose to these other teams with a younger player, for sure. But is the hype of the Browns really enough to pull away the kind of player that our organization thrives in recruiting? I don’t think it will be.

11 hours ago, Danand said:

I just thought I saw McCoy only being interested in a 1 year deal?

Haven’t seen anything on this. I know he was replaced by Suh via a one year deal. Tampa Bay didn’t want to pay him $13m this season and he had no guaranteed money left so they cut him.

I’ve seen that he wants to go to a winner is all that I’ve heard to this point.

But a one year deal would shock me, for  a veteran I’d be shocked if he went for anything less than 3 years. He has five kids and that’s not something you’d want to uproot. I’m sure he’ll want this contract to be a long term deal 3-4 years with as many guaranteed years of high salary as he can negotiate.

maybe he feels he still has a few good years left and seeks a 1yr contract to drive up his market value with a dominating season.

if so, all the more reason to sign him, and i believe the Ravens would give him the best possibility to shine.
Browns/Panthers already have some inside PR... while the Ravens do not. or not much to speak of.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

maybe he feels he still has a few good years left and seeks a 1yr contract to drive up his market value with a dominating season.

if so, all the more reason to sign him, and i believe the Ravens would give him the best possibility to shine.
Browns/Panthers already have some inside PR... while the Ravens do not. or not much to speak of.

That doesn’t make sense. He refused to participate in the Tampa Bay offseason because his $13m had no guaranteed money attached to it.

So for less money than he would’ve gotten paid by Tampa Bay, he’s now suddenly okay with “betting on himself”? That doesn’t compute.

Furthermore I haven’t even seen any sort of speculation on this. I’ve looked through multiple articles to this point and there is absolutely nothing about s one year contract. Have no idea where that even came from.