coordinator0

Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

19 hours ago, Danand said:

One of the reasons why I want us to retain a player like Zardarius Smith and CJ Mosley as well as players like Carr and Jimmy Smith is that our defense worked with those pieces, and with how strong especially dline and pass rushers is in this draft, I think it will push players down on the offensive side of the ball.

I think a lot of talent at WR and RB will be available in the 4-5 round. I don't see much of a need to bring in free agents. I would rather let those we brought in last year walk.

I guess it’s just a difference of opinion, but everything I’ve seen in my years of following the draft suggests the opposite trend. With as many defensive players in this draft class, I see it much more likely that teams will be willing to bet that they can wait and develop a slightly inferior prospect into a superior player.

Whereas on the offensive side of the ball, with less notable impact players, I see that likely influencing executives to “get while the getting is good” so to speak. You can’t bank on offensive talent falling when there is less talent to fall.

We've generally seen this trend hold true. The only position where that doesn’t seem to be the case quite as much is with the QB position. If you’ve got a guy you love, you don’t play games, you take him, regardless of how deep the position looks. Though the trend does seem to hold true with backup/developmental level QBs within a deep developmental QB class.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's unfortunate that he's really only a pass rusher though. He doesn't play the run well and can't play in coverage. I'm not even considering the possibility of having him back next year because I think some team is going to massively overpay for him and try to play him as an every-down linebacker or DE and be extremely disappointed with the results.

This is where I'm at with Za'darius. I think the Ravens found a perfect role for him in 2018, similar to Pernell McPhee a few years ago. McPhee never really flashed much elsewhere in Chicago or DC. Both guys are good inside/outside pass rushers, but their last year with the Ravens is probably going to be their peak. 

45 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

McPhee never really flashed much elsewhere in Chicago

That isn't true. He was a great player for them before injuries started mounting. 

-----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMxDfwE6wg

I don't think claiming ZDS doesn't excel against the Run or in Coverage is a strong indictment of him as a player. To excel in those areas, and be a productive versatile pass rusher- would make you one of the best players in the entire league. 

Also, Smith sets the 2nd best edge on the team against the run. After Suggs, who is also a FA. So if you feel he doesn't contribute enough against the run then in your mock drafts you better include some strong additions for the team.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

That isn't true. He was a great player for them before injuries started mounting. 

-----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMxDfwE6wg

I don't think claiming ZDS doesn't excel against the Run or in Coverage is a strong indictment of him as a player. To excel in those areas, and be a productive versatile pass rusher- would make you one of the best players in the entire league. 

Also, Smith sets the 2nd best edge on the team against the run. After Suggs, who is also a FA. So if you feel he doesn't contribute enough against the run then in your mock drafts you better include some strong additions for the team.

Yes you are right McPhee was good for the Bears in 2015, but even as a starter and primary pass rusher he only got to 6 sacks. I was underselling him a bit, but frankly I think McPhee was better player as a Raven than Za'darius ever was. And yet I thought it was wise to let McPhee walk in 2015, because we can coach up players to replace him (like Za'darius!). 

If we didn't have Judon, Bowser, and Williams waiting in the wings, signing Za'darius would be an issue. I'd rather keep Suggs on the cheap than break the bank, though.  

46 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If we didn't have Judon, Bowser, and Williams waiting in the wings, signing Za'darius would be an issue. I'd rather keep Suggs on the cheap than break the bank, though.  

This is my position as well. 

16 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Yes you are right McPhee was good for the Bears in 2015, but even as a starter and primary pass rusher he only got to 6 sacks. I was underselling him a bit, but frankly I think McPhee was better player as a Raven than Za'darius ever was. And yet I thought it was wise to let McPhee walk in 2015, because we can coach up players to replace him (like Za'darius!). 

To be fair we haven't seen anything out of Bowser and Williams yet. The only thing they have going for them at this point is their draft position...if they were 5th round picks people would say we absolutely need to get better at the position, especially if Suggs and Smith walk.

We have seen something out of Williams. And it's good. He just needs to be able to stay fit/heavy enough to see the field. 

17 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

We have seen something out of Williams. And it's good. He just needs to be able to stay fit/heavy enough to see the field. 

But we can also agree that the flashes is the same we have seen from other players who never amounted to anything. The physical potential is there, but something is missing. 

Both Williams and Bowser have two years left to prove they can be future stars/rotational players, but their total snaps in two seasons is close to abysmal considering their draft position.

44 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

To be fair we haven't seen anything out of Bowser and Williams yet. The only thing they have going for them at this point is their draft position...if they were 5th round picks people would say we absolutely need to get better at the position, especially if Suggs and Smith walk.

I guess, but they have been behind Suggs, Zardarius, and Judon. I don't know of any team that plays 5 OLB's in a given game.  It seems like they are learning on the job sitting behind more experienced players, which is fine for 3rd/4th round picks on a stacked defense. 

And Judon is clearly penciled in at starting OLB. So only one of Bowser/Williams needs to ascent to starter level (if Suggs leaves), which really isn't that far fetched.  

24 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I guess, but they have been behind Suggs, Zardarius, and Judon. I don't know of any team that plays 5 OLB's in a given game.  It seems like they are learning on the job sitting behind more experienced players, which is fine for 3rd/4th round picks on a stacked defense. 

And Judon is clearly penciled in at starting OLB. So only one of Bowser/Williams needs to ascent to starter level (if Suggs leaves), which really isn't that far fetched.  

Zardarius plays another position basically, Williams and Bowser struggled to find snaps anyway.

We completely agree that they might be sitting and learning. I just feel we spent a 2 and a 3 round pick on two players who combined for less than 100 snaps or so in two seasons. 

If neither of them are able to replace Zardarius Smith (I find it difficult to believe they can match his run fits, although Williams will provide more pass rush) and can't find more snaps in rotation with Suggs and Judon, they both look like high investments with very little return.

I am still optimistic about them being able to produce at a certain level, but so far they have been disappointments.

Tim Williams' disappearance this year is one of the seasons' greatest mysteries to me. He started off DOMINANT, then got injured and just never saw the field again. Just very strange.

I think my worry for the pass rush next year is less about edge rush, and more about interior rush. We have literally nobody capable of doing that at any sort of consistent level. It's why I'm kind of a fan of wanting us to pursue Gerald McCoy in free agency, if the price is right.

31 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I'd like to essentially replace Za'Darius with Jadeveon.

So you want a more expensive option to play out of position?

6 hours ago, Danand said:

But we can also agree that the flashes is the same we have seen from other players who never amounted to anything. The physical potential is there, but something is missing. 

Both Williams and Bowser have two years left to prove they can be future stars/rotational players, but their total snaps in two seasons is close to abysmal considering their draft position.

Eh. I tend to stay away from comparing players in that sort of fashion. Tim Williams is not any of the guys who have flashed and failed before. He's Tim Williams. We don't know anything about his trajectory is at this point because of the circumstances of him not seeing the field. A guy not being able to retain enough weight to actually play is kind of a new one for the Ravens I think. It isn't a matter of talent or that talent translating to the NFL field. That's happened. Just have to hope the team gets him the right conditioning system/people in place to keep his mass at a suitable level.

I really don't think weight is the issue with Tim Williams. At least from an ability standpoint. When he was heavy last year, he flashed. Down in weight this year, he flashed. Dude dominated preseason, produced big time in our regular season games- so much so Harbaugh called for him to get more playing time at a weekly presser. Then all of a sudden when Williams isn't playing any more and reporters start asking questions, Harbaugh says "Tim Williams will play when he's one of the best 46 players on the team"

John uses this kind of pointed language frequently, imo hoping it sinks in with the players in question. A fairly common approach by coaches, and certainly a revealing one. Tim Williams did something to get in Harbaugh's doghouse. As I've said before I don't believe it was play related either. He called for more playing time for Tim a couple weeks earlier and players like Judon who were struggling were not publicly admonished in anyway. 

Zrebiec is the one who put forward the 'too down in weight post injury' discussion to try and explain why Tim Williams hasn't been playing. Yet the team wanted Tim to slim down from last season. As his game is built on twitch and explosion. He dominated in the SEC at like 215 pounds early in his college career. There's no way he got down anywhere close to that weight. He was 260+ in 2017, and this season he confirmed his weight was 248. It took him an offseason to lose 15 or so pounds, he isn't going to melt weight in a couple weeks rehabbing a tweaked hamstring. It's a ridiculous claim. 

From Harbaugh-

"Tim Williams' growth from Year 1, I would say: Remarkable," Harbaugh said. "It's shown up in the game. It's been showing up in practice. I think even before that, it showed up in his work ethic - in the weight room with (head strength and conditioning coach) Steve (Saunders), with Steve's staff, putting the time in throughout the offseason, throughout the summer. And that kind of attention to detail with the process, that kind of work ethic tends to pay off when the lights come on, and that's what we've seen with him."

It isn't a work ethic issue, it isn't a weight issue, it isn't an injury issue, he just did something to bother John- and as a result was punished. It doesn't surprise me. Tim is a young player, Harbaugh has a veteran slant and keeps young players on a very short leash. That combined with Tim's non ideal personality/character(as far as Harbaugh is concerned), resulting in a flare up shouldn't shock anybody. 

Tim Williams made huge strides in his game from Year 1 to 2. He went from being a liability against the run to creating splash plays against it. Clearly he put in the work off the field as well, fine tuning his body for his specialized & important skill set. It's unfortunate he was benched. It hurt the team and likely robbed him of some maturation as a player. There's nothing to indicate he was benched for anything other than Harbaugh just wanting to send a message. It's within John's rights as a Head Coach to do so, but he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in situations like these from me. We've essentially wasted 2 Rookie Contract years of a proven stud pass rusher, and 3rd Round Pick, for no discernibly intelligent reason. It's embarrassing.