Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

Hey guys - just a random question, hope you don't mind but I know you'd know .... have the Ravens re-signed or extended CJ Mosley?  So odd, he's listed as a 2019 FA but not highly rated, which surprises me me since he's been to multiple Pro Bowls & seems to a casual fan be a great young LB.  You guys lock him up already? 

Edited by StewieRules

36 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

Hey guys - just a random question, hope you don't mind but I know you'd know .... have the Ravens re-signed or extended CJ Mosley?  So odd, he's listed as a 2019 FA but not highly rated, which surprises me me since he's been to multiple Pro Bowls & seems to a casual fan be a great young LB.  You guys lock him up already? 

Nope, that's one of our biggest offseason decisions. Mosley has significantly declined in his athleticism and ability to play in space and cover, which honestly it seems that only hardcore Ravens fans have noticed. Mosley's no doubt going to be seeking top-3 (at lowest) ILB money and I don't think any of us are sure he's worth that, given his recent decline.

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Nope, that's one of our biggest offseason decisions. Mosley has significantly declined in his athleticism and ability to play in space and cover, which honestly it seems that only hardcore Ravens fans have noticed. Mosley's no doubt going to be seeking top-3 (at lowest) ILB money and I don't think any of us are sure he's worth that, given his recent decline.

See, I knew you guys would have the info lol  Injury related? I read where he's had some knee issues in the past, but that's just a guess on my part. 

6 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

See, I knew you guys would have the info lol  Injury related? I read where he's had some knee issues in the past, but that's just a guess on my part. 

No, it's not injury related. Last year he just came into the season bulkier and with that, just lost that freakish athleticism he came into the NFL with. This year was no different, though his knee injury midseason didn't help.

1 hour ago, StewieRules said:

The year 1 and year 2 Mosley was fast and a sideline to sideline linebacker who could blow up screens, take on double teams and cover.

Injuries and the +100 tackles he has produced since he was with Alabama have made him slower which affects his play. The technique, work ethic, leadership, play recognition is there, but he lacks the burst to be a player who warrant a top tier ILB contract. 

My bet is Mosley will get paid and he will be productive and reliable for several years going forward, and if the Ravens pay him so be it - but it will be dollars he earned from his first years of play with us, and unlikely his play going forward.

14 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Wonder how much Matt Paradis will command on the open market. Probably the FA I'd love to see us make a run at the most, but then again that calculus changes if he's getting Ryan Jensen money. 

Ryan underwhelming in TB, and Matt's own recent injury could make him relatively affordable. Then again recent FA OL contracts have been consistently crazy. Adding another FA named Matt at Center(Birk) and drafting a super talented swing G/T high(Cody Ford) would make our line one of the league's best.

The thing with Paradis is that he's coming off of a fractured fibula so his value on the market is hard to gauge. He's also 29 which is a bit older than Jensen. I don't think he gets quite as much money, but it will be up there. The free agent class at center is trash again this year. It's Paradis, Kalil (will be 34), Mitch Morse and maybe Travis Swanson as guys who you might take a shot on paying to start. And I wouldn't want Swanson. 

18 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Is it a hot take for me to say I'd rather spend big on a medium length contract for Gerald McCoy now that it's sounding like he'll be released rather than giving Mosley a big extension?

Well seeing as interior pass rush is one of our weakest points on defense, and we're probably going to lose Urban and Willie Henry is just meh in his own right, and ILB has always been a strong suit for us.

I'd say that's a pretty good take.

8 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Is it a hot take for me to say I'd rather spend big on a medium length contract for Gerald McCoy now that it's sounding like he'll be released rather than giving Mosley a big extension?

No. That would be a nice move. As long as Henry is healthy him and McCoy in as the penetrating linemen would be nasty. 

7 hours ago, berlin calling said:

i'd rather sign Barr in place of Mosley or an aging McCoy tbh. he should be fit to play ILB and will probably come cheaper than Mosley.

I don't know. I'm thinking Mosley's contract isn't going to be as hefty as feared. NFL teams are seeing the same thing we are. And the other 31 don't have anything invested in him like the Ravens do. After his performance on the field this season my guess is it will be less than what McKinney, Kendricks, and Hitchens signed for last free agency... which means I think there's a good chance he's back with Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

No. That would be a nice move. As long as Henry is healthy him and McCoy in as the penetrating linemen would be nasty. 

I don't know. I'm thinking Mosley's contract isn't going to be as hefty as feared. NFL teams are seeing the same thing we are. And the other 31 don't have anything invested in him like the Ravens do. After his performance on the field this season my guess is it will be less than what McKinney, Kendricks, and Hitchens signed for last free agency... which means I think there's a good chance he's back with Baltimore. 

Image result for not a good enough reason to use the word penetrate gif

1. Cover  2. Run  3. Blitz

Unless a LB is great at all 3, you shouldn't be paying them high end money. If they aren't good at the first 2, you shouldn't use them as your LB1 at all