Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/24/report-gerald-mccoy-drawing-interest-from-10-teams-offers-reaching-11-million-a-year/

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, McCoy has drawn interest from 10 teams with offers coming in up to $11 million per season. The amount of interest has reportedly “overwhelmed” McCoy and he appreciates the decision by the Glazer family to release him when they did.

18 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

The Ravens lack of diversity on offense just killed them. This year if teams play dime personnel against us as base defense, we should be able to just run off tackle and destroy them. The offense just didn't have those basic power running plays in the playbook with Lamar, everything was read option, jet sweeps, side to side motion. 

Would be great if he adds the off-tackle PA boot to his repertoire.  He did the RPO, but never really turned his back to the defense.  Could be a lethal play under such a scenario (i.e. ability for RB to take it off tackle on hand off, ability for Lamar to keep and run if nobody follows him or he has room, and ability for Lamar to hit someone like Hollywood or Andrews deep/intermediate with Snead or Hurst working short/mid).

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 1

Much like Ansah, I doubt the money will make sense to bring in McCoy.  That said, he would do some pretty cool things for this D.  Would love to see him as a penetrator next to Pierce and Williams.  Also serving as an UT in a nickel look with somehting like 1 traditional ILB and 3 OLB on the field.

6 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Much like Ansah, I doubt the money will make sense to bring in McCoy.  That said, he would do some pretty cool things for this D.  Would love to see him as a penetrator next to Pierce and Williams.  Also serving as an UT in a nickel look with somehting like 1 traditional ILB and 3 OLB on the field.

Agreed.  If it's going to take something like $11m a year to sign him, I don't see how we can do that, especially considering what BWill is on and Pierce needing an extension 

The Ravens are bringing him in for a visit knowing the price is up there. Makes me think they're willing to pay and make some room somehow to get him in. It's different than the Ansah situation in my opinion. Probably not going to all ends to make room/open money up though. McCoy is 31 and the Ravens already have a lot invested in Williams and want to invest a lot in Pierce. 

11 hours ago, drd23 said:

Agreed.  If it's going to take something like $11m a year to sign him, I don't see how we can do that, especially considering what BWill is on and Pierce needing an extension 

If we sign him to a 3 year deal and spread the signing bonus across three years it wouldn't be such a big cap hit this year. 

I would prefer us to lock up a coupe of guys we already have, before they price themselves out of baltimore. Pierce, Stanley and Moore are obvious choices. Moore might be the best to lock up while his price is low and he haven't had much production as a receiver. At worst we get a core special teamer and returner and #4 receiver on the depth chart.

I’m starting to think Williams is getting underrated a bit due to his deal. Conflating dollar value and actual on field ability a bit imo. Still a very good player that helps the defense be so good, maybe just not worth all of the money he’s being paid. 

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

I’m starting to think Williams is getting underrated a bit due to his deal. Conflating dollar value and actual on field ability a bit imo. Still a very good player that helps the defense be so good, maybe just not worth all of the money he’s being paid. 

Who is undervaluing Brandon Williams? he is one of the best nose tackles in the league. the only real criticism I see in here, is that he got a big contract in hope he could push the pocket more and add more to the pass rush, which he haven't showed, and instead we have michael Pierce who seems to exceed Williams potential

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danand said:

Who is undervaluing Brandon Williams? he is one of the best nose tackles in the league. the only real criticism I see in here, is that he got a big contract in hope he could push the pocket more and add more to the pass rush, which he haven't showed, and instead we have michael Pierce who seems to exceed Williams potential

I just meant in general it seems like there's a lot of fans that seem to be in a rush to cut him or get out of his deal.  I agree that Pierce has surpassed Williams and I want him to be extended.

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I just meant in general it seems like there's a lot of fans that seem to be in a rush to cut him or get out of his deal.  I agree that Pierce has surpassed Williams and I want him to be extended.

Ok,  I haven't seen any negativity really towards Brandon Williams play, only the speculation about whether we should keep him or let him go and extend Pierce instead, which is a discussion I understand. Paying two nosetackles big money is overkill - unless they generate pressure from the inside.

17 hours ago, Danand said:

And yet when Williams was injured in 2017, our run defense fell apart, along with the rest of the defense. 

I think they are both equally important to the defense. Pierce is a penetrator, and Williams is a gap-control player who absorbs double teams. Neither can do the others role. 

In a 3-4, if you don't have a DL who can stand his ground, take on double teams and still defend running plays in his area, the defense will fail. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26842139/dt-mccoy-visit-ravens-extend-wed

Free-agent defensive tackle Gerald McCoy's visit with the Baltimore Ravens will continue into Wednesday morning.

McCoy arrived in Baltimore on Tuesday afternoon and left the team facility at 7 p.m. to have dinner with coaches and players.

A source said the visit with McCoy has been "great." The Ravens are hoping he doesn't leave town without a contract.