Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I think our club employs the best and most formless approach to scouting players in the league. We'll bring in super athletes drowning in traits, slug testers with golden tape, production pigs, pure potential guys, big school underachievers, small school studs, we don't box ourselves in.

It's why we have a roster that's so diverse. Analytics is just one part of the process, a branch on the scouting and evaluation tree. It's a key aspect to the modern game and it's good to see we aren't falling behind other clubs. 

Different sport, but just look across the parking lot.  I trust Elias to clean things up, but the Orioles neglected building out advanced analytics capabilities (among other things) and fell behind nearly all of their peers.

2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Different sport, but just look across the parking lot.  I trust Elias to clean things up, but the Orioles neglected building out advanced analytics capabilities (among other things) and fell behind nearly all of their peers.

I'm not a baseball guy, but all over Raven twitter I see that top pick's name being dropped. Do you think he's going to be a transformative player for them?

38 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I'm not a baseball guy, but all over Raven twitter I see that top pick's name being dropped. Do you think he's going to be a transformative player for them?

Yes.  Obviously biased, but experts agree he's by far the best player in this draft.  Plus defensive catcher (the hardest defensive position) that can hit from both sides of the plate and set records with the bat.  Catcher is the position you expect the least offense from and his bat projects to be a plus at DH (highest offensive expectation, N/A defensive expectation).

Obviously anything could happen (injury, underperformance, etc.), but there's tons of reason to be optimistic. Great character as well, apparently.  Also, he looks like he's still 16, so there's less concern about him being over-developed already.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Yes.  Obviously biased, but experts agree he's by far the best player in this draft.  Plus defensive catcher (the hardest defensive position) that can hit from both sides of the plate and set records with the bat.  Catcher is the position you expect the least offense from and his bat projects to be a plus at DH (highest offensive expectation, N/A defensive expectation).

Obviously anything could happen (injury, underperformance, etc.), but there's tons of reason to be optimistic. Great character as well, apparently.  Also, he looks like he's still 16, so there's less concern about him being over-developed already.

Sounds familiar...

matt-wieters-hof-postcard

7 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

I like analytics, but I hope that isn't our main focus.

Given EDC's of working his way up through the scouting ranks from the very bottom to the top of the organisation, I see absolutely no risk in that happening.

Plus, if you saw what the job advertisement was asking for, I doubt the analytics guys will have a huge say in picking individual players - their job will likely be around looking for trends in what makes successful players at various positions, and what sort of roster make-up tends to be the most successful

9 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Given EDC's of working his way up through the scouting ranks from the very bottom to the top of the organisation, I see absolutely no risk in that happening.

Plus, if you saw what the job advertisement was asking for, I doubt the analytics guys will have a huge say in picking individual players - their job will likely be around looking for trends in what makes successful players at various positions, and what sort of roster make-up tends to be the most successful

A danish guy who works with almost exactly that kind of stuff and was interested in those positions with the Ravens (he already followed to of the applicants on twitter) found in hos own studies/analysis, that there is no correlation between a certain athletic skillset and succes in the NFL. 

What he (and others) can confirm is, that the best players by a wide margin also are superior athletes, JJ Watt, OBJ, Saquon Barkley, Tyron Smith, Aaron Donald etc.

There is however no clear threshold that could either remove a player completely off the board/make that player jump up the board. Toughness, work ethic, mentality, technique, mental capabilities simply has too much of an impact. 

10 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Sounds familiar...

matt-wieters-hof-postcard

Less potential concern about bat speed, which helps.

That said, if Adley "just" ends up as Matt Wieters over his Baltimore tenure, that's not terrible.  For what it's worth, MW has the 9th highest career WAR of the 54 players taken #5 overall.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Special teams must not be impressing in camp.

It wouldn't surprise me if us, the fans, have to see a preseason favorite get cut in favor of a special teamer who rarely will see snaps outside of special teams. It wouldn't surprise me as well, that such a decision would be a better choice as we are quite dependant on great special teams play.

• 3 weeks later...