Post CFP Bowl 5-round Mock

Just Want A Title

I thinks this is a bit unrealistic on the Free Agent Market but I am going to throw it out there any way:

Re-sign:  Don Muhlbach, Eli Harold, Zach Zenner, Bruce Ellington, Rick Jean Francois and Romeo Okwara

Cut:  TJ Lang, Christian Jones, Glover Quin Tavon Wilson and Michael Roberts

From what I have read the cuts should add about $18 million to our cap space

Free Agents:

John Miller, G--Not a pro-bowler but a solid starter

Tre Boston, S--Should lock down our pass defense

Steve Nelson, CB--A solid outside CB to compliment Darius Slay

Adam Humphries, WR--We traded Golden Tate; enough said

Sheldon RIchardson, DL--The lack or pressure from our D-line makes this a no-brainer

CJ Uzomah, TE--Had a solid season for a bad team.  Could put up better numbers than most expect and has really good size.

Preston Smith OLB--A solid OLB who can rush the passer and play the run pretty well.

I didn't sign a DE like Trey Flowers because we already have a similar player in Romeo Okwara.  I considered Jadaveon Clowney but his contract demands will be crazy.

Pre-draft trade:  The Lions trade a 2019 6th round pick to the Jets for Folunroso Fatukasi.  He didn't have any snaps last year and am projecting that he won't fit their new defense.  He is listed at 6'4 and 318lbs.  He has great size and can learn from around Damon Harrison as well as A'Shawn Robinson

Draft:

1.  Clellin Ferrell, DE-Was previously projected mid-first round but should go between 5 and 10.  We need a DE in the worst way

2.  Albert Okwuegbunam, TE--A good long-term solution to our TE rotation

3.  Devin Singletary, RB--A bowling ball of a RB at 5'10, 225 from a small school and a great addition to our RB rotation

4.  Andy Isabella, WR--A bit of a sleeper prospect but is fast, shifty and has come up big against big opponents such as Georgia

5.  Isiah Prince, OT--A solid prospect from a great program who could have a similar development path as Tyrell Crosby

Fire away!

I think your FA signings are unrealistic. I don't think we make that many moves. Sheldon is washed up, and so is Boston.

On your draft first round I like but we need are own young talent and you go off the tracks with TE in the second round followed by a RB then a WR.

If you just signed a WR in your FA plan why draft one.

Prior to the 2017 season, the lions signed Rick Wagner, TJ Lang, DJ Hayden, Akeem Spence, Paul Worrilow, Cornelius Washington, Darren Fells, and Keyshawn Martin as free agents.  The number and quality of the players I projected is pretty similar:  https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/03/12/detroit-lions-free-agency-2017/99090576/.

2018 Stats on Tre Boston:  79 tackles (66 solo), 3 picks, https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BostTr00.htm and will be 27 prior to next season

2018 Stats on Sheldon Richardson:  50 tackles (27 solo), 5.5 sacks, 16 QB hits,  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RichSh00.htm and will be 29 prior to the start of next season.

Boston was just as good for the Chargers in 2017.  Unlike Ezekial Ansah, Sheldon Richardson played in all 16 games this season and graded out pretty well according to PFF.  If that is what you call washed up, we could use some more "washed-up" players.

Okwuegbunam is already listed as a second round prospect on a number of sites and might rise if he does well in the combine/pro day process.  Considering what a hot mess our TE position was in 2018 and the lack of quality free agents available, it actually makes a lot of sense. 

The reason we take another WR is called depth and special teams help.  Kenny Golliday is an ascending talent and Marvin Jones is pretty good but beyond that we have very little talent.  TJ Jones has never produced in a meaningful way.  Adam Humphries is a really good slot WR but Andy Isabella has great speed and could provide another vertical threat besides Marvin Jones who never seems to get real separation from opposing DBs.  Check out this article on Andy Isabella:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-umass-andy-isabella-can-be-the-prime-example-of-slot-receivers-growing-value/

As far as RBs go, Kerryon Johnson is good and we will probably have Zach Zenner in the fold but we don't have much beyond that.  Check out this write-up:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-florida-atlantics-devin-singletary-is-the-premier-sleeper-running-back-prospect/

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on a whole lot of things.

Not sure that you get Richardson.  He'll want a multiyear deal that will be fairly expensive.  I'd load up on CB's.  Add one within the first 3 rnds.  You'll probably be able to find depth at RB in the later rounds, particularly if you're re-signing Zenner and not cutting Riddick.  Good start.

Archived