Honest Question--How Good is Colbert?

Steelers22

Like I honestly think Colbert lacks the creativity and vision to pull of what Howie Roseman did for Wentz. 

Flipped 16, Kiko Alonzo, and a scrub for 8. 

8, 3rd, 1st for 2. 

Used Bradford to replace the 1 he traded away. 

Do you think Colbert would be able to pull off:

20, Hargraves, Burns for 7-11.

7, 3rd, and 2020 1st for 2. 

Take Nick Bosa. Be able to move Dupree for a mid round pick come camp?

i don’t think he could. 

Heck I’m not even confident he can get a mid-teens and a 3rd for Brown, and flip the mid-Teens and our own 2nd to jump up for Bosa. 

And I know a ton of people will come with “War, that’s only gonna happen in Madden.” Yes the Eagles were the rare team to do it in 1 offseason, so it takes moxie. But if it were suggested as a two year thing no one blinks an eye. 

@warfelg I think you are referring to cyclical in a more narrow sense than I am.  Talent is not cyclical.  Schemes are not cyclical.  Teams rising and falling on talent throughout the years is cyclical.  The Steelers and the Pats will fall eventually.  I will guess that they will crash and burn into that top 10 or top 5 pick.  It is what happens.  The Colts crashed after Manning and are now on the rise again.  All the teams in the NFL have dropped down to replenish their talent with the exception of the Steelers and the Patriots.  Teams NEED that infusion on talent.  Good FO make the most of that dip and get very good players.  Bad teams keep making mistakes over and over again.  I did not point out that the Jaguars had 10 picks in the top 10 in 10 years.  And they still suck.  Lots of teams would love to be competitive for 10+ years.

I also refuse to put any credence into what-if hindsight scenarios.  It is what it is.

My link to a scientific paper on the best way to draft is not working but I can tell you that they found that there is no best way.  Some teams trade up.  Some teams trade back for more picks.  Some teams trade picks for established players.  All of them work and all of them don't work.  There is no magic bullet.  There is no best way.  Does it frustrate me when the Steelers rush up to the podium every year?  Sure.  Especially in those years when the talent ( as we see it) is weak.  It does not mean that they would pick better with a later pick or that they player we want or they want is there in 5 picks.

There is a difference with a team that has talent but is plugging hole vs a team that does not have that one player and goes and gets them.  Bosa is good but does he get the Steelers to a SB next year?

I will drop this article out there for a good read on the psychology of the draft process

https://behavioralscientist.org/how-to-identify-talent-five-lessons-from-the-nfl-draft/

#1: Understand Your Goal

I once worked for an NFL team that was much more successful drafting players one side of the ball than the other. One year we surveyed the staff about the kind of player they wanted to acquire at a particular position. The position was on the side they struggled with, and we discovered there was zero consensus on the type of player to pursue. Given the range of opinions, the group average was meaningless. No wonder they had trouble drafting the right guys!

To paraphrase Lewis Carroll, if you don’t know where you’re going, any road will get you there. An easy way to flub a hire from the beginning is to skip asking exactly what it is you’re looking for. People often don’t understand their decision objectives, but the most successful sports teams are clear about their goal and don’t stray from the principles and attributes they’ve established.

To me, the above quote covers the Steelers with DBs and that is all on the coaches.

I've read that article in the past, which is why I brought up both moving up and moving down.  Correct in that no one way is the 'proven' way.  So then why have we moved the least in the first 3 rounds since 2000?  Doesn't that show you that he's (Colbert) stuck with one particular method?

Parcell's strategy ( which there is nothing wrong with it) is that the draft is a crap shoot so he would always try to go for quantity over quality.  Get lots of draft picks hoping that 30% of them come through.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Steelers are the stick with the draft board and the unknown is scary ( See other comments about being extremely risk adverse) .  This is what you hate about Colbert.  I think Colbert is that way because Tom Donahue was not and the Steelers got burnt.  Now the Owners are risk adverse.

Would I like to see the Steelers be more flexible in the draft with regards to moving up or down?  Sure but it is not my money.  I do predict that you will see a change ( of the guard or of the strategy or both) when Ben retires and the bottom falls out.

Archived