Cardinals Hire Kliff Kingsburry as next Head Coach

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

I’m sure he will call plays but, and idk maybe I got spoiled, he’s really not a good play caller once you get past his first 15-20 scripted plays. 

Ultimately it comes down to the players.  I look at Matt Nagy and think he's a good to great head coach (Good currently, with some more experience he'll be great). But for the Bears, it was very similar where the first 15--20 scripted plays were great.  But you can only mask Turbisky's flaws for so long. 

Same with Kliff.  He can put together a great game script, but if the OL and QB suck, he's not winning.  That said, I like the hire.  In today's NFL with the way the rules are heavily favoring passing offenses, you need one to succeed. You're not going to win strictly on defense unless you have one of the top defenses in the history of the sport or by running the ball.  Running is basically a commodity in the NFL these days, there's not a lot of distinction between most rushing attacks.  The top 2 defenses (Bears and Ravens) in the playoffs just got eliminated at home.

What you need is a good to great passing attack to differentiate yourself.  Doesn't mean you can have scrub players, but Kliff + some good talent on offense I'm excited to see...

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

And even chose Mahomes over Baker at one point. Which I know it's WAY to early to tell but so far it looks like the right choice between the two.

Umm... he chose Davis Webb over Mayfield. Mahomes came later. How does that choice look now?

Oh, speaking of Mahomes, Kliff also had a sub-.500 record in the two years he had this year's NFL MVP running the show.

But I'm sure he's just a misunderstood genius that Tech couldn't properly appreciate.

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

cmon man this dude found Mahomes and Baker and even Davis Webb to an extent 

no one is ever gonna make Lubbock work 

Spike Dykes, Mike Leach and even Tommy Tuberville had winning records at Tech, even though the talent pool was likely even worse for them. Leach had to win with garbage-tier QBs like Kliff Kingsbury, and he won a lot.

Before the obvious retort: I didn't go to Tech and I relish watching them lose.

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What is going on? How does a guy who wasn't good enough to keep his job at Texas Tech become a head coach for an NFL team?

The NFL's copy catting has reached new level 

They put up a lot of points and still lost with Mahomes there. No real big name DC would have taken the spot in Lubbock. Lack of talent and recruiting ability there would have damn near destroyed their chances of moving up the ranks. 

In AZ they hope he can get the offense scoring a lot, and AZ absolutely can get a vet DC there, as they likely get to run the entire defense independent of Kliff. Basically as close as most defensive coaches will ever get to being a HC in today's league. AZ might have to write a pretty sizable check though to lure someone away from another DC job though.

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What is going on? How does a guy who wasn't good enough to keep his job at Texas Tech become a head coach for an NFL team?

The NFL's copy catting has reached new level 

You guys had to go and bring Gruden out of the booth.  The original "big hype promise" to fans was taken away and NFL GM's just aren't that creative.

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

@TheVillain112makes a good point. College is about recruiting much more than it is about coaching. And he coached at Tech. When was the last time Tech were even good and at Tech your sole recruiting base is Texas and you have to compete with UT & TCU to say the least.

The dissonance in this post makes my head spin. Texas is the single biggest talent pool for college football, period. TTU gets enough talent to win, especially in the weak Big 12. Each of the 3 coaches before Kingsbury had winning records, covering a 25 year span between them. Leach even went 11-2 one year. Kingsbury had 3 straight NFL QBs to run his offense, and he ran off a #1 overall draft pick in favor of a future NFL benchwarmer (but an NFL QB none the less).  

Maybe the NFL will indeed be better for Kingsbury. But he was an unmitigated failure at TTU, despite the school having a winning program for 25 years prior to his arrival.

Archived